Reviews for Envoi
Winner Nehra chapter 1 . 6/18/2017
Amazingly written!
Jane chapter 1 . 5/23/2012
Lovely, well written story. The language was beautifully chosen. Thank you so much for sharing.
BakerStreetIsLastRefugeOfHope chapter 1 . 4/5/2012
I hope Clarkie doesn't die.
Stutley Constable chapter 1 . 12/23/2011
I really liked this. I'm glad I came across it. The story was nicely paced and I think you kept our old friends in character throughout. Very melancholy yet with a touch of hope. In a way it reminded me of Second Hand Lions (A movie I recommend if you have not seen it yet.).

Nice work.
feelingtwofootsmall chapter 1 . 2/18/2011
That was simply gorgeous writing, and the characters all stayed true to their original selves. I think this is the best retirement Sherlock Holmes fic I've read. Keep up the lovely writing, mate, and-

Cheers.
Bluebellbird chapter 1 . 12/5/2010
Touching and Beautiful!
Belphegor chapter 1 . 9/16/2010
I love this kind of quiet, thoughtful and heartfelt story, and this is a *very* good one you've got here. The contemplative mood with the little touches of humour here and there, the characters' voices (everyone is perfectly in-character, but Lestrade stands out to me for some reason :o), and the tranquil, steady rhythm set by the extracts of Watson's narration - this is a wonderful little story, and I'm glad I happened onto it :o]
shadowsamurai83 chapter 1 . 8/31/2010
That was a brilliant story. Touching and in character, very very believable. I enjoyed every word of it. :) Thanks for sharing!
Literatech chapter 1 . 8/18/2010
A beautiful story. Beautifully written. I enjoyed this immensely. I look forward to reading more from you!
misunderstoodemon chapter 1 . 8/18/2010
An absolutely lovely piece - one of the best ones I've ever read with Holmes and Watson in Sussex. Please do keep it up - this is one I will have to come back to later and re-read it is so lovely!

~misunderstoodemon
Lisa15 chapter 1 . 8/18/2010
Beautiful and perfect. Somehow tragic - but not, because there was still friendship and some sort of contentment.

Wonderful writing too!
Nytd chapter 1 . 8/17/2010
What a fantastic look at the later years of the pair! This was obviously carefully contemplated, and the detail in this is fabulous.

The whole piece has so many touching moments, and the passages where Watson is writing are wonderful little accents sprinkled throughout.

"'And the Yard?' Holmes probes, pushing a laugh from Lestrade.

'Oh, Hopkins handles things just fine, I suppose. Although I've suggested several improvements to him now and again.'

Watson smiles to himself. Lestrade takes to retirement like a snake to the sky."

I bet!

"As they walk up to the house, Holmes casually asks Lestrade how London is. The city has become, in some respects, almost a guilty mistress of Holmes', one that he's given up but must still watch his old friend court."

What an insightful comparison. I love this line.

"For one, I am determined to save Holmes from melancholy. It was the right decision, leaving London and all the trouble that city entailed. I simply must keep on proving it to him, day after day. It may sound like the task of Sisyphus, but I prefer to think of it as Herculean, for, grand as his trials were, they did come to a resolution."

This is a simply brilliant passage!

The ending is perfect; clearly there are no adventures now, but there is, as always, friendship, and devotion, and hope.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. It was a beautifully crafted one-shot with a lot of thought put into it. I'm so glad that you decided to write it and share it with us!

Nicely done!

Cheers!

~Nytd
Elerrina Star chapter 1 . 8/17/2010
One word: Beautiful. :)
bravehearttegan chapter 1 . 8/16/2010
'There is an insecurity to Holmes these days, as if he is half afraid one day Watson will get up and leave all over again, the way he did six years ago, the way he has done throughout their long and terribly complex relationship.'

... what a great sentence. And I'm guilty of thinking Holmes cruel after The Empty House! You’re right, it works both ways and Doyle made it all shockingly complex.

I was so hoping this wasn’t going to end in a dramatic character death, but you hit the nail when Watson was resolved by the lack of adventure and accepting of normality, (well Holmes’ version of normal.) This was reflective, with a touch sentimentally and a genuineness that left me bittersweet.

Loved it, thank you Tegan
tapd0g chapter 1 . 8/16/2010
That was just glorious! Thank you for sharing :)