Reviews for Usually and Not
Middle-Earth Muggle chapter 1 . 2/11/2011
*gasp*

I /just/ got that album... I''ve been listening to it basically nonstop for the past four days, lol.

It was a good fic. I mean- not really exciting or anything, but well-written, and I actually think that's the closest to the canon Near that anyone's gotten. I hate how people try to put, like- I mean, the fangirls who stick him with a personality to fit their pairing, do you know what I mean?

Though the lyrics, I believe, are "imperfect boys with their perfect ploys", though that's been debated- I could be wrong.

I love your writings, by the way. :D

-T
Esperer chapter 1 . 12/15/2010
Unsensational story? I beg to differ. This story captures the essence of Near just as well, I think, as the original author of Death Note could.

Near is a character that has definitely grown on me the longer I have stayed in the Death Note fandom, especially after knowing the ending of the series. To me, he just fits the story perfectly. His emotions, his mannerisms-no one else could have caught and brought down Kira. Like you said, he does it because he doesn't care. It's just something he has to do, no real ulterior motive like all the others. He spells out to everyone why Kira is evil and should be stopped, and I think all the readers needed that at the end. Because they knew what Light was doing was wrong, but didn't know exactly how to say it.

And I always love it when an author chooses to focus on how Near felt about L. As much as Mello adored him, Near was indifferent, possibly resented him. Near saw L as weaker than him. I don't know, I just enjoy seeing things from that point of view.

...And lyrics from one of my favorite Fall Out Boy songs? Brilliant.

If this review isn't coherent, I'm sorry. Just know that this flash fic is amazing.
flaellii chapter 1 . 8/18/2010
Wow. This was brilliant. You've captured Nears essence just perfectly. I think that if someone hadn't read death note they could still know what kind of character he is purely from reading this.

And this line was just golden.

"Near had nothing to lose but his life, and the moment he had been prepared to lie it down was the moment he had won."

It seriously gave me the chills from the sheer awesomeness of it. Anyway excellent work on this.
CraftAndBurn chapter 1 . 8/17/2010
This was really, really good. Very fluid and you showed a good understanding of the character. Great stuff here.
phollie chapter 1 . 8/16/2010
Oh, but this is a beautiful reunion, Bialy love. I know this fic was just an exercise, but I ate it up like candy.

It was the characterization that really made this golden. Near, as seemingly simple as a character he is, is perhaps one of the most unwritable characters due to his lack of everything thematic. He's no Mello, who you can twist and scald and place in just about every situation; he's no L, who still has that darkness and unquenchable need for justice that is eventually his downfall; he's no Light, who possesses a madness and a goal that make his intentions very clear.

No, Near is Near - cold, blank, blunt, and unapologetically genius. He's a brilliant shell, a disembodied mind, and that alone makes him so unreadable. His simplicity is what is so difficult about him.

And yet here, you've nailed that coldness with an ease that tells me that Death Note is glad to have you back. 3

You always have a way with killer last lines. I also loved this: Near had nothing to lose but his life, and the moment he had been prepared to lie it down was the moment he had won.