Reviews for Three Years At Sea
nightpwnsj00 chapter 8 . 9/20/2010
Aaah, this has to be one of the best post-Agni Kai fics that I've read. I love how you threw in the bit about Zuko's reduced vision - I always hated in the show how he seemed to have peripheral vision in his left eye in some episodes. Not realistic at all! Your writing style is amazing as well - everyone is IC, and the details/etc. were very good. ) I had to go to work in the middle of reading this, and couldn't wait to get back home! Update soon!

PS - Little!Maiko was quite adorable - this is probably one of the few times I didn't cringe while reading Maiko (I tend to favor non-romantic and Zutara fics). )
Zolarix Aster chapter 8 . 9/20/2010
It's the origin of the silver sandwich!

I am convinced that the healer is Lady Ursa. Which makes me sad... *sadness*

"Glad to see you're back to your old self again!"

That could be sincere, or sad. Probably both...

And hung-over Zuko is /hilarious/, by the way.
Stingmon chapter 8 . 9/20/2010
Oops... I took too long to review the last chapter, I'm so sorry!

I guess this chapter kind of proves the point I wanted to make, though. Both of them are really good, but there was that little thing that wouldn't stop bugging me:

Why on earth would they fire their only doctor? I was thinking Zuko would have rather fired the cook, or at last hired a less expensive one (I'm not too sure, but this one seems to cook pretty fancy stuff, doesn't he?). Iroh, on his part would have suggested hiring fewer soldiers. As long as the Dragon of the West is travelling with him, after all, there shouldn't be too many people who would dare attack Zuko (and what for, anyways? It isn't like Zuko has got anything valuable).

As for finding doctors in the colonies if they need any, I don't think it would work. They are supposed to go even to the most remote places in order to find the Avatar, so they will frequently spend weeks, if not months, away from any civilization. Also, Zuko has suffered recently from a horrible injury: I don't know much about burns, but I would say it's the kind of things you want taken care of as frequently as possible. Finally, they just spent several months trapped in the ice, where anyone could have fallen critically ill, and no one would have been able to help them. Don't they fear it could happen again?

Sorry for the long critique. This part just puzzled me so much. Also, your stressing the fact that Zuko suddenly has to worry about his budget and the frustration that ensues (yet another fall from grace, having to count and bargain like any merchant) was really interesting and well portrayed. I couldn't understand why it had to end with what was, in my mind, the worst choice possible.

Aside from that, you story is still as great as ever, focusing on things we don't really hear of in the series. It was realistic, and very touching, that Zuko would suddenly open up to his uncle, and even obey him when in pain. Also, that silver sandwich line was priceless: man, it explains everything! That gibberish of his in the Boiling Rock episode was something he made up when he was drunk as all hell! Your OC was pretty good, too. So she is whoever we want us to be? So I'll say she's...YOU, secretly watching over the main character of your story.

Thanks a lot for this chapter. I don't know why, but I had the feeling that your writing was a bit more rushed than before, with more telling and fewer descriptions. Did you do it on purpose, because this chapter has a lighter tone? If it's not the case, calm down, you're doing great and shouldn't be in a hurry.

Haha. Sorry my review doesn't make much sense. I really am tired.
Aryashi chapter 8 . 9/20/2010
This story is amazing. It is one of the best fanfiction I have ever read. I loved how you managed to be so funny and so sad in this chapter. Your description of Iroh singing to Lu Ten atually got me to tear up. And its your first! You have a lot of potential, and I can't wait to see whatr else you wtite. :)
AnnaAza chapter 8 . 9/19/2010
Great chapter. I wonder if I'm jumping the gun on this, but is the healer Ursa? I bet I'm wrong...

This described the crew perfectly: "None of the crew particularly liked Zuko, but a year spent together on a ship at the remotest corners of the planet always created some sort of bond. In this case, many of the others saw Zuko as a little brother who really needed a kick in the pants."
Reader P chapter 7 . 9/7/2010
pretty awesome how this fic is coming along. In your past 3 chapters, your description of the cold really comes out as a good element of writing (ur writing overall it great here!)

Good job, keep it up!

-Reader :P
SeasideFantasy chapter 7 . 9/7/2010
Gosh, I just love your story. You stick so close to the story and keep the characters so in character it almost feels like canon.

I can't wait for the next update!
AnnaAza chapter 7 . 9/5/2010
Aw poor Zuko. You did his feelings about the guys in the bath house perfectly! And I never actually thought about the money, supplies, and everything to keep Zuko, the crew, and his ship running! So great job on everything!
DreamSprite chapter 6 . 9/1/2010
I've always wanted to write something like this. You've done an amazing job so far and I can't wait to read more!
Stingmon chapter 6 . 8/31/2010
Hey!

First of all, thanks a lot for answering my last review! I don't really know why, but I was touched that you took the trouble to write some of it in French (your French is pretty good, too; but you don't have to say "vous" to me, I still feel too young for that _) Also, it's very brave of you to want to rewrite the first chapter. This is great.

Now, concerning the chapter. Zuko is as always very in character, completely immature and yet inspiring. I love seeing him fight against the cold and his own exhaustion.

Geez, in a way I feel quite useless right now because I don't have any critic to make. Your description of Zuko's fragmented memory of his banishment was particularly clever. It's simple and poetic, and it really made me feel what Zuko might have felt, too numb to understand what was going on, focusing on little things like that razor.

Do you really think his head was shaved off as a symbol of his disgrace, though? If that's the case, why did they let him keep his ponytail? I thought part of his hair had just been burnt when his father scarred him, and that it couldn't grow back for some time, so Zuko had to shave most of it to not look like a complete fool. And then he got used to it and just kept it like that? I guess my version doesn't make much sense either...

I also like how you explain why Zuko isn't afraid of fire. The sentence "It wasn't the fire's fault, either." is so cute.

In fact, even that flashback about Mai was good, and God knows I usually can't stand Maiko (Even after the finale, I'm convinced that their love story will come to an end exactly as soon as Zuko will learn that Mai doesn't mind letting her baby brother DIE before her eyes. And if he never figures it out, then it's so. Much. Worse.) I just thought your Mai was a bit too proactive in this chapter to really be in character. But maybe her apathy just got worse with time...

Hem. Sorry for the little rant? I'm really looking forward to your next chapter. I'm also wondering how long this fanfiction is going to be. Will we get to see Zuko go to the Air temples? What about the Spirit World? I have had ideas of fanfictions taking place during those three years, in which Zuko would want to go to the Spirit World and whether ask spirits where the Avatar is, or ask for concrete proofs of his death (I even made up the theory that he initially got the Blue Spirit mask in the hope of talking to Koh without losing his face). I love spirits...

A long review yet again. I hope you enjoyed it!
Metella chapter 4 . 8/31/2010
"Quietly, he came up behind Zuko, snatched the prince's belt right off his waist, and tied it around his eyes—an impromptu blindfold."

I thought Toph invented that method?

I wonder why Zuko never used his dao swords while fighting. (I have a theory that there is a negative stigma attached to benders using "normal" weapons in the Fire Nation, i.e., you're not a good bender if you use them. That would explain why none of the firebenders fought during the eclipse- because literally none of them learned any other weapons because they though it was pointless.)
Metella chapter 1 . 8/31/2010
"and your allies in the Earth Kingdom and Water Tribes…"

What? Ozai has allies in the Water Tribes? I very much doubt that. Earth Kingdom *maybe* . . .
storm-of-insanity chapter 6 . 8/30/2010
I loved every moment of this! You have fantastic skills and I love your style of writing. Iroh and Zuko are completely in character and I adore how you've portrayed their relationship. I also like how you've kept the balance of making Zuko's life suck without it being over dramatic / suicidal as so many Zuko banishment fics are. The backstory with Jeong Jeong (sp?) is a nice touch (especially JJ's letter to Iroh) and Azula's brief cameo was and excellent detail that you added. Speaking of details, I'm very impressed by the way you've used them to flesh out your story and add to the depth of it. Your theory of the differences between the Fire Nation style of leadership and the other nations is very convincing and I accept it as my canon :D

Well done with this story so far and I look forward to the next update. I've added your story to my C2 so many more fans of Zuko and Iroh can enjoy this!

ps, you should definity get a copy of Zuko's Story. It's the most amazing thing EVER!
mandy347m chapter 6 . 8/29/2010
Always happy to see this updated. :)
wolfdefender01 chapter 6 . 8/29/2010
awww... soooooo cute!

Love Zuko! plz update soooooooon!

plz the world will fall into turmoil if you don't update!

wolfie out!