Reviews for The Pit
flairina chapter 14 . 12/20/2014
Interesting fic you've got here. Those pills are horrifying to even contemplate; it's like brainwashing someone and giving them anterograde amnesia at the same time. Even worse that Genma's actions actually make sense when you consider his motivations. I want him gone so badly and yet I can't say I don't get why he's doing what he's doing, given what he wants. It's both addening and sickening, this whole situation.

The timelines admittedly have me confused a bit here. Pretty sure I've got most of it, but this latest bit I have to make a few assumptions. As far as I can tell, both Ranmas we've seen up to this point are the same, and not from alternate realities. Genma 1 meets Genma 2 who drops off a Ranma he assumes to be his own, but is actually "alternate" Ranma. Thus the Ranma that got raised in "canon" was actually the result of alternate Ranma growing up with those horrifying handicaps mentioned above. Genma 1 thought he had Ranma, so he didn't come and take him out of the pit, which caused traveler Ryoga to come and get him due to being asked by grown up Ranma later on having traveled back with him. Traveler Ryoga then went to the amazon village and went through all that occurred in the story up to this point, which means that Ranma young can't be saved because we know he grows up in to normal Ranma. Normal Ranma was having all those bleedthroughs because he did have this happen to him, but forgot because of the pills. Alright, nice and tidy, paradox in place and understandable.

But... hold on. The Akane spirit makes no sense then, unless she somehow time travels too and becomes that, and Cologne, Shampoo, and Mousse not recognizing Ranma or Ryoga means that... I've got to be confused. Hmm. And here I thought I had it. That, or not everything has been explained yet? I suppose that could be it...

Regardless, this is a very interesting story, and I do hope that Ranma comes out of it understanding what his younger self already did, if about 9 years too late. Also that Genma gets some sort of just comeuppance, because I don't really care if he thought it was right; he essentially mentally handicapped and brainwashed his child just because he wouldn't accept his son if he acted any way besides how he taught him. It's worse than abuse, by wiping his memories Genma might as well have tried- and succeeded!- in MURDERING the "real" Ranma. Only the fact that Ranma seems to have repressed memories convinces me of anything less. Even stories where Genma has gotten Ranma PHYSICALLY murdered I tend to find less despicable, which is funny, because you didn't write him that way! Gah, I just can't help but hate characters that do that in any form, I guess.

That also leaves the question- what the heck did older!Genma do if he didn't travel back through traveler Ryoga's gate? Are we gonna find out?
luger 7 chapter 14 . 12/10/2014
Rockin fanfic, dude!
BonusPoints chapter 14 . 11/30/2014
I guess I stopped receiving auto-updates for this, but my how these last few chapters have been worth the (mostly unnecessary) wait!

I'm pleased with your devotion to closing off your time loops, although now I need to know how things will be rounded off with the folk back in Joketsuzoku. My favourite part has to be the way Ranma's unplanned narrowing is what eventually turned Genma into the sort of man who would intentionally inflict that fate on his child. There's so much potential in seeing Genma's mind at work, and this is one case where I think you exploited it masterfully.
Cheshire cutie chapter 14 . 9/30/2014
You are a genuis. Complete and total genuis. Thank you.
anon chapter 14 . 8/27/2014
not a huge fan of this direction. but willing to see where it goes.
BlackShadow1 chapter 14 . 7/28/2014
wow, this is good and really in character
TripOverFlatSurfaces chapter 14 . 7/18/2014
GODDAMMIT IT WAS A TIME PARADOX AFTER ALL? Okay, so the worst thing isn't even the fact that Genma actually believes that he's doing what's best for his son. The worst thing is this time paradox, because my literally hurts at the thought that there's the possibility that Ranma well-deserved happiness will be ripped out from under his feet every single time. The freaking Homura fails to save Madoka type of time loop. God, this fic is the most wonderful Ranma fanfic I have ever read ever. Looking forward to the next chapter!
Ranmayamabushi chapter 14 . 7/8/2014
Wow very cool story, I hope you continue it some more in time. keep up the good work and thanks for sharing!
niyuu chapter 14 . 6/22/2014
i want to shoot Genma. in the face. buckshot.
LycanRed chapter 14 . 6/21/2014
I'm at a loss for words. This has been a somewhat confusing story most of the way through it, but I've dug in and worked my mind around the concepts being presented, though I have to agree with Ranma about a third of the way in about stopping before my brain breaks, but I digress. The end of this chapter is just, well, as I said, I'm at a loss for words. There have been stories I've read where Genma annoyed me. Where I was almost sad at how one dimensional he was portrayed. In all the worlds that I've glimpsed him in he has angered me, saddened me, upset me, made me laugh, and made me shake my head in exasperation. I can easily say that I have never been quite so sick of him before as I am after this chapter. If it were just the usual schtick, where he is being a greedy, self-centered idiot, I'd be angry, but no. He actually believes that what he is doing is what's best for his child. It's not idiocy, or even lack of caring. The core of his character here is so, wrong, that he has done this because he cares for his son. I'm appalled in all the right ways. Kudos, and I can't wait for more.

PeaceOut
LycanRed
Rivyn Daniel chapter 14 . 6/20/2014
Oh wow, the last three chapters have been incredibly powerful

Incredible work!

I feel sorry for little Ranma, was really hoping Older Ryoga was going to be able to get littleRan back from Genma. I hope this is the end for OlderRyoga :(

I can't wait to read more!
arcanasage chapter 14 . 6/14/2014
Great chapter, I'm looking forward to the next chapter.
Radio Driver chapter 13 . 6/13/2014
Good goin, Kiri. Keep on keepin on.
RPhysics chapter 14 . 6/13/2014
Such a sad chapter. It was seriously depressing near the end, and even more so when I re-read it D:

I really enjoyed little Ranma's character. I was hoping for him to be rescued, with all of Genma's recent influences removed. Maybe have some confrontation with Ranma-ue who would convince little Ranma that Genma isn't right, and that he doesn't have to grow up like him. I definitely wasn't expecting you to basically kill him off D:

I was looking forward to more little Ranma interactions too :c

Anyways, I'm guessing that the pills effects will have been broken for Ranma-ue. I'm curious to see how you'll write that. Especially since Akane and Ryouga are close by (admittedly, 10 years and hundreds of miles away isn't close, but not a big difference when Ranma-ue has a human teleporter and time machine near by :p)

This chapter was slightly confusing (augh! Time travel is annoying D:), and I'll definitely have to re-read the story again to get a clearer picture on everything. But let me try to explain what I think happened, if you have time to see if I'm right:

[[Cut out because it was too long. Go to pastebin, at the file jCy2p1tQ - Just ask if you're confused on what that means]]

Anyways, I have a couple questions for the story:

1) What was the translation of the pills name?

2) Why didn't Cologne and the amazons recognize Ranma? Probably not at first sight, when Ranma and Genma ate the tournaments prize. But surely, when Cologne arrives at Nerima she would have noticed. She'd definitely notice Ryouga at least, since the age difference would only be 5ish years.

3) Is Ryouga capable of traveling dimensions as well as space/time? Because otherwise, I don't know how he'd meet so many different Ranma's with different personalities. He's only shown space/time traveling so far after all. If not, then why would Ryouga ask Ranma if he knew the Umi-Sen Ken techniques to judge his threat level in an earlier chapter?

4) Ranma may not have noticed his female form until Jusenkyo, but why didn't anybody else? Surely Ryouga would have noticed since he had taught and sparred with Ranma for months.

5) Is there any chance we'll see little Ranma again? I'd loved his character, and wish you hadn't 'killed' him off. Maybe a new timeline or something? D:

6) At the end, why did you show the scene where Ranma met Ryouga before the scene with Jusenkyo? Or was that just an error?

7) The tags for this story are drama and hurt/comfort. Is this going to be a tragedy (more so than it already is)?

8) What are you going to do involving pairings? While I'm all for gen-fics, you've already foreshadowed Ranma and Akane getting together. But will the ending be vague, letting the readers assume that they get together in the end? Or will you write a more definite ending?

9) If I'm correct in Ranma-ue overcoming the effects from the pills (and if not, ignore this), then are you going to write a vague ending or show multiple scenes of how Ranma starts acting? Basically, will you write the interactions that the new Ranma has with all the characters? Solve all (or some) of his problems with fiancees and rivals?

Thanks for the chapter, especially so soon after the last (can we expect another soon? :p). I'm not a fan of tragedies, but it was still an enjoyable chapter. I look forward to the next (hopefully lighter) chapter.
Androgynous-Heron chapter 14 . 6/13/2014
...MY EFFING HEART, WHY WHY WHY WHY I SAD, SUPER SAD I MEANT, OH GOD THIS IS SADDDDDDDD AND I'M DROWNING IN TEARS D':
308 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »