Reviews for The Moral of Gertie
HAFanForever chapter 1 . 2/25/2013
Hey, this is a cool idea! I've always figured that, between the movie and TJM, there was a lot of stuff to be resolved and focused on, especially with Arnold and how he would deal with Helga's confession, and this would be one of those things. See, I bet that Phil and Gertie know that Helga loves Arnold, but they didn't tell Arnold their whole story at the end of "Girl Trouble" because they think he's not ready to hear something that is a hint of foreshadowing, but also that he should figure it out for himself someday. I think they would finally tell him between films so Arnold can get a really good idea on his feelings for Helga, and I think he would see Dr. Bliss before then to get some help on the situation in order to help with his feelings. Arnold is very smart and mature for his age, but this is still a big issue and I think needs some psychological help from a professional. I wish they could have made an episode about it. Heck, I also think Phil calls Gertie by her nickname of Pookie, partly so that Arnold won't discover that his grandma is the exact same Gertie who used to tease and torment Phil!

So I really like your story here where Arnold asks Phil more about Gertie since he realizes how much of Helga is in Gertie as a girl. And now that he finally realizes that Gertie teased Phil because she liked him, he realizes that Helga does that to him for the same reason. Of course, he does know that Helga was telling the truth, given how what she did was planned for the reason why she did it, but it does make sense that he let her take it back, because after what happened with her confession, he wasn't able to give her a straight answer, though I'm sure she didn't expect his answer to be more neutral than a flat-out rejection or reciprocation. If they were together more after this, I do think she'd try to deny her words and actions then, but in her heart she knows that he knows that she meant it, and so does he. And Arnold knows he has to eventually give Helga an answer; he can't let this situation dangle. We all know that Arnold and Helga are meant for each other, but I think since he is still a kid, it would take him a while to realize that he actually does like her in the same way, especially because of all the hurt and humiliation she has put him through. Why did Phil have to name all of the bad/worse things Helga could do to him if he rejected her?! But anyway, he knows he couldn't say yes just to avoid more bullying, so it's all why it would take him a while to decide if he feels the same way. It's like for a time, he'd be really stuck on it, because in a way, he probably thinks he shouldn't say no. But he has to be fair with her and himself. This sure is a lot to take in for a kid his age, especially since this kind of stuff wouldn't actually happen until they got older.

And then the story ends with Phil finally revealing that the same Gertie is now his wife! I kind of wonder though, that based on his grandparents relationship, would Arnold would believe that it's fate that he and Helga are meant to be and marry someday? I think Helga would definitely believe it, but I think Arnold would be confused to come to an immediate conclusion, since this is a situation where he can be more practical than her, like with the marriage predictor. But this whole story was great, and could have been a potential episode between films. :) I like how you show Phil often acts goofy in giving advice, but he loves Arnold and knows that this is a serious situation for him, so he can give good advice when the situation calls for it.
Myriamj chapter 1 . 11/24/2012
It's so cute!
Angelblood666 chapter 1 . 9/25/2012
I'm stuck in an insomniac state, so I figured I could pass the time while reading some FF. I'm not too sure how, but I ended up reading this again because it's so good. That was when I realized I never really told you why I liked this (or any of your other stories) before, so here I am, a few months late to totally spill my reading guts. Better late than never though. :P
To start at the beginning, when I first saw this, I almost knew what it probably said just from the title (since I had re-discovered HA! recently by then, so I still remembered most of the episodes & details) But that actually drew me in since I had always wanted to read about Arnold hearing who Gertie actually was. You stayed well in-canon for Grandpa & Arnold the entire way through it, almost to the point that I felt I was watching, not reading, the episode. I think that's what makes you so well in your writing. You make the story almost real and really easy for the reader to get where you're going with it. This is even further possible by your details of an environment or character.
But I digress. Watching, (there I go) READING Arnold almost squarm while trying to figure out Helga's reason for teasing him and having Phil watch, trying to help him without giving Arnold the answers, was funny. The kid does need to be led around by the hand, but that's who he is. Phil was also funny with the 'raspberries' comment and vanishing to the bathroom, only to return in a total nonchalant way. Nice job.
The last comment was what really pulled it all together though, with Grandpa revealing Gertie to Arnold. An idea you could maybe do for this is when Gertie talks to Helga about Arnold, only it would be about their shananagans and how Phil fell for her & vise-versa. Or maybe Arnold talks to Gertie about Helga too, only you could have Helga listening in on them so she hears about Gertie and Phil, which would psych her up for her and Arnold's future. Just an idea though.
Nice job, and sorry I haven't really on the ball with that LOZ project. I've been kinda down and writing has come to a virtual halt, so I'll try to get something for you before long. I hope.
More stories to be reviewed soon, so look out. I haven't even begun to say how awesome you are, as the 3rd member of your personal fan club. LOL
The Animanga Girl chapter 1 . 7/16/2012
Mein Got!
This was awesome!
darkestangel1326 chapter 1 . 1/22/2012
wow lyco! So im not exactly sure why, but I've been reading your stuff a lot lately, and I gotta say. WOW! This one shot was pretty funny! XD I mentally laughed a bit! Oh Arnold! That boy is too dense at times! And I like how grandpa is seen as more wise. Mostly because of the way you presented his thoughts! They were nice! And the ending was good too! Nothing to improve here, really, I thought grandpa and arnold were very IN character. Loved it and *huggles* (I hope you're satisfied! I have to say this word at least ONCE a day or else I feel weird!)
NintendoGal55 chapter 1 . 3/9/2011
This was a fun FTi aftermath story! I can so see this happening if it were maybe a moment in TJM (before the adventure) or like a season six episode. I would have loved to see Arnold really have time to talk about what he was feeling since the events of the movie. I know April Fool's Day and The Journal are the two episodes that take place after the movie, but they don't help at all. DX Grrrrrrrr.

:D And we all love that twist in "Girl Trouble" where it turns out that Arnold's own grandma is in fact Gertie! Haha! XD It's so fun. And it's living proof that if Phil and Gertie could overcome such hardships during their childhood, well, who's to say history won't repeat itself and Arnold and Helga won't do the same? :3

Phil had great advice, and it all makes sense. At least Arnold gets it now and has a much clearer perspective on it, and also a clearer idea of what he should do next and where to go and what to do.

And we all know that eventually Arnold will look into the heart of Helga and find the woman of his dreams! OwO

This was a great one-shot. 83 An excellent first story into the fandom! :3
Rachel Cabbit chapter 1 . 2/7/2011
That was awesome!

I loved so many things about this story. Firstly, the fact that you explained the aftermath of Hey Arnold! The Movie, the clean-up and everything. It's not something I've ever thought about as being such a fangirl whenever I think of movie aftermath I automatically go to Helga and Arnold's feelings after the confession. I love how you introduced all that - it's all so believable like a real episode.

I love how in character everyone is. Although in the show they don't normally have big heart-to-hearts quite like this, I'm sure the characters would if they didn't have an episode time limit. Grandpa was perfect! I could hear his voice saying every line and I found myself laughing quite a lot.

I get such a sense of Arnold's growth as a character from this ficlet. He figures it out slowly and his reactions are spot on, I think.

The writing style is clear and flowing, with no errors that I could spot. I was enjoying it too much to pay attention if there were errors. I loved this story so much! The best revelation of Gertie and helga I've read in the fandom :D

Thank you for this gem!
Riicat chapter 1 . 1/28/2011
That was good! Not OOC. I liked it.
acosta perez jose ramiro chapter 1 . 8/18/2010
It's always nice to see a serious yet still funny Arnold-Phil's conversation.

Keep the good writing.
Alwaysanonymous2 chapter 1 . 8/18/2010
Awww I loved it!
RaineforMadeline chapter 1 . 8/18/2010
I really like this story. You should continue it. Everyone was in character. Keep up the good work. :)
loonytunecrazy chapter 1 . 8/18/2010
exllcent fic here cool job with Arnold and Phil convestion
AdventureGirl6 chapter 1 . 8/17/2010
You had them pretty well in character, esp Grandpa. :)

Aw, we needed to see Arnold's reaction to that last line, LOL.

Please continue to write more for HA! :)