Reviews for Horatio's Plot
Cassie Prince chapter 1 . 9/27/2013
Nice! We're studying Hamlet in Shakespeare right now, and this was actually something discussed. Good job on it! Very entertaining and quite mysterious :P
Sir Gawain of Camelot chapter 1 . 3/2/2011
I felt the same connection to Horatio. He's always been my favourite character in the play, and the connection I feel only becomes stronger the more I study him.

I love this idea. Not because I think it could ever happen; Horatio is a good man, and devoted to the point of selflessness. I like it because it provides such an intriguing 'what if'? And it's true, Laertes has only Horatio's word to go on to explain how the entire royal family came up dead. If Horatio, who was privy to the innermost thoughts of the chief player, Hamlet, and present for all the events of the tragedy, if he were to lie, who would ever know? The truth is what Horatio makes it, and what if he were a a less honest man than he is? It's intriguing.

I feel you could have pulled it with a bit more finesse and attention to Horatio's character. It may just be our differing interpretations, but I don't see Horatio as a braggart. He's confident, but modest. Even the rush of such a daring scheme gone right is not reason for such a transformation in personality. He seemed more like a medieval knight than a scholar. And why would such a careful disguise as the one he wove for himself in his telling of the story be so easily cast aside before it had fully served its purpose? What harm would it do Horatio to play the grieving friend for a few months, until he had fully worked his way into Fortenbras' court and enough time had passed to safely drop the false grief? Certainly less harm than may have come of Fortenbras uncovering his scheme.

A note of uncertainty would have been nice at the end. Fortenbras suspects, but he doesn't /know/. I suppose it's just that, were Horatio the chessmaster, I can't see him playing his role anything less than to perfection.

That said, this is my favourite piece of Hamlet speculation I've ever encountered.
corruptedofheart chapter 1 . 2/5/2011
Horatio was definitely one of my favorite characters, and the ending seemed incredibly rushed. I always wondered what would happen afterwards, and this does a great job of it in a short space. It also livens up Fortinbras' character, who really needed some more exposition. Overall, great write.
Savva chapter 1 . 8/26/2010
Brilliant! Both, the idea and the writing.