Reviews for THUNDARR THE BARBARIAN in THE BOOK OF THE DEAD
RobGill chapter 7 . 4/12/2012
Why does it not surprise me that Ash's blunt, simple 20th Century tech would do the trick with Infernus, as opposed to Ariel's 40th Century sorcery? Sometimes simpler is better. And speaking of Ariel, anyone had to see that 'sugar' move coming a mile away.

Yes, it's probably better for Ash if he doesn't have to return to 1993, with a looming Cataclysm (there's no guarantee that he would have to die, though; forewarned *is* forearmed, after all, and he would have a year to stock up on survival gear, and move to safer ground, as the President in your proposed Thundarr film told people to do). (Footnote)

On the other hand, it's going to be hell for him to adjust to a 40th Century world without electricity, running water, medicine, or other conveniences which we take for granted; yes, that's the same situation he faced in medieval times, but at least he had the option of escaping from that time period. Oh, well, maybe he could use any surviving gas supplies down in Texas for something other than the Chopomatic; if a less-than-bright guy like Ash could assemble all that fancy tech in medieval times (based on stuff he read in a science textbook), perhaps he could devise some gadgets that might make his life in the future a little more bearable.

(Footnote) (I could express concern about time paradoxes-specifically, if Ash isn't returned to 1993 to die, he and the Necronomicon won't be discovered by Infernus, and the events of this story might not happen, but I won't.)
RobGill chapter 5 . 3/15/2012
Thanks for the update; better late than never.

Deadite banter seems about right:("Your stomach's growling."..."We're skeletons, you idiot," "We don't have stomachs."), as is Ash's. By the way (unrelated thought), I should point out that deadites don't have lungs either, but it didn't keep the Scottish deadites marching on the castle in AOD from playing bagpipes(!) Ah, well, back to the review.

I like the Star Wars references (as the series was somewhat inspired by SW), but it wouldn't hurt to keep them down to a dull roar; the humor value is diminished by Thundarr and Co. not recognizing them, and being annoyed by them, instead.

"I don't even have my metal hand for Christ's sake!"..."I don't know who that is, but it doesn't matter!"

Hmmm, no Christianity in the future; something one would never be able to mention in the show. I wonder (even though it's outside the scope of the story) how many religions either didn't survive, and those who did, how their worldviews (those embracing a belief in apocalyptic futures, that is) were affected/altered. Just a thought.

"Once they were all in the sewers together, they start walking in the direction they think The White House is in."

Which could result in them ending up them *anywhere*. Anywhere *but* the White House.

Again, thanks for the update, and don't forget to update again, soon.

PS: Re your claim that "Warner Brothers still refuses to officially release [Thundarr] on DVD." Well, it's available, now, and I managed to order the DVD set through , last year, brushing up on the episodes for the 1st time in 30 years, including the Infernus episode. Brings back a lot of memories. No DVD bonus features, but better than nothing. If you don't have it yet, you might want to look into it.
RobGill chapter 4 . 8/10/2011
Judging from how this chapter ends, that is to say, the storyline is not listed as "Complete", and the fact was last updated in January, I'm guessing that (and hope?) you still have plans for Ash and Team Thundarr to have a rendezvous with "Ass Hat"...er, Infernus, post-Rancor escape. Update soon, please?

I definitely like this unfolding story and I hope you're not discouraged by the all-too-limited feedback for Thundarr-related stories; I would've reviewed this fan fiction earlier, but I only discovered it recently.
RobGill chapter 3 . 8/10/2011
Well, *someone* had to describe the Star Wars parallels with Thundarr's team, and Ash is probably the most appropriate one to do so; the similarities were (and still are) all-too-obvious to anyone who watched the series, airing as they did midway through the original Trilogy.

Personally, though, I would've thought that Ash would refrain from explaining to Ariel *why* Luke and Leia couldn't be with each other (maybe he could've said something like "Let's just say, Your Worship, that there are some things that people were never meant to know, even in the future"), an obvious inside joke to viewers in the know.

And it's nice to know that, come the Cataclysm, people 2,000 years from now (well, Ariel, at least) will remember the works of J.R.R. Tolkien, even when much pop culture knowledge from our era has been forgotten, timeless classics, not unlike Shakespeare, or the Iliad.

It's quite funny when Ash gets too nosy about Ariel's and Thundarr's relationship (horizontal or platonic, indeed); likewise, Thundarr's rebuttal of Ookla's remarks about his jealously, incomprehensible though those Mok remarks are. (Listening to Ookla-talk has a humor value similar to South Park's Kenny, or Charlie Brown's *offscreen* teachers.)

Also, it speaks volumes about Ash's reputation that Thundarr is more worried about Ariel being with Ash than he is about her being attacked by Deadlites. ;)
RobGill chapter 2 . 8/10/2011
Ash's descriptions of Thundarr, Ariel, and Ookla (Dungeons & Dragons Cosplayer, swimsuit model, Wookie) sound about right; that sounds like how he might describe them, given his limited 20th Century frame of reference, likewise, his cutesy pop-culture nicknames for the three. And I always *did* think (back in the day, when I watched the original airings of the series) that Ookla's name sounded too much like UCLA.

Forget Thundarr; I'm amazed that Ariel hasn't killed Ash yet, particularly after that 'sugar tits' remark. And yet, it's hilariously in character for him, and we wouldn't have it any other way.

"You maniacs!" He yells, You blew it up! Damn you! Damn you all to Hell!"

Now if only he'd been with Thundarr and company, when they were in Manhat/New York; he'd have even more cause to be reminded of Charleton Heston's words. Except that Heston's "Taylor" didn't have to fight *that* Statue of Liberty...
RobGill chapter 1 . 8/10/2011
As crossovers go, I can easily imagine this, although I'd imagined Ash's arrival in 4000 A.D. resulting from Army of Darkness's alt-ending (when he 'slept too long,' waking up in a post-cataclysmic world vaguely resembling Thundarr's).

I'm curious (and a little confused, I suppose) as to Ash's remains in the crypt from 1994 somehow being responsible not merely for the new Deadite plague, but Ash's abduction from 1993. Does Ash's 2,000 year trip change history, preventing his death in the year of the Cataclysm? Or is a time paradox involved; will he learn of his '94 death, and be sent back to '93, to die the following year, thus allowing Infernus to discover him 2,000 years later, and set the events of this story in motion? Personally, I'm hoping for the former, as Ash is clearly unhappy with his boring life as an S-Mart employee, and living 2,000 years from now might remedy that boredom...just as long as he can find some futuristic fuel substitute for the Chopomatic, once the gas stored in his truck runs out.

Anachronism nitpick: Although some of the 'magic' books Infernus destroys (Lord of the Rings, AD&D's 2nd Edition book, and Robin Skelton's book) were published years before the 1994 disaster, Herbert L Becker's All The Secrets Of Magic Revealed was written in 1997, something which would be impossible, post-Cataclysm. Oh, well; at least you don't have Infernus trashing Harry Potter books (late '90s and 21st Century), nor do Ash's later references to Star Wars mention the (non-existent, in this reality) prequels. That could've been...awkward.
Blaze chapter 4 . 4/29/2011
Definitely more to this one please add! Such good stories!
Herbert L. Becker chapter 1 . 4/23/2011
Why on earth would he throw my book into the fire? It would have plenty of good magic tricks to add to his knowledge.

Herbert L. Becker
Blaze chapter 4 . 4/22/2011
Such a wonderful tale! I do hope you finish it and bring Thundarr and Ariel together atlast!
CMR Rosa chapter 4 . 1/5/2011
This is a great crossover.
CMR Rosa chapter 1 . 11/12/2010