Reviews for Dear Hinamori
whitealmond chapter 19 . 3/8
I was thinking about your story today (I'm only a little obsessed! I'll stop, I swear...), and I thought that I guess it's okay that some of the plot elements I was ambivalent about, like the things that could have been addressed in Toushirou's trial, were not brought up, or how no one tried really hard to convince Toushirou that sacrificing himself might be worse for Momo in the long run (or if Matsumoto met Gin again in the end and yelled at him or something about how he screwed both kids over?! they were in the same courthouse...). Because the point of the story was not the justice system or the other characters; the point was all-encompassing love and sacrifice, even if it was misguided. (That... was the point, right? Please tell me if I've got it wrong XD)

I still can't get over all the tragedies in this fic... first their awful life, and now Toushirou's gone and done something Momo would -never- have wanted him to do for her. He threw himself in front of the bus before she had the chance to stop him or do the same for him. *sigh*
whitealmond chapter 8 . 3/7
This is one of those stories that's going to stick with me for a long, long time, and few fanfictions - and even published stories! - do that. Like Twelve, like Morphean, like The Fireworks. Seriously, everything you write is pure, exquisite, distilled pain. Pain that they can't be together, pain that they suffer, pain that the golden happy ending they deserve is forever out of reach. (Well, except for The Corner of December, which actually ends in a high note.) I just finished this story and reviewed the last chapter but I'm still reeling from it. I had stayed away from reading this for the longest time because I knew, I knew you were going to take my poor heart and flay it to shreds. And you did.

Now that I'm slightly more coherent, I suppose the only criticism I have (and this is partially because I'm bitter that things turned out the way they did and because I want so badly for there to be a happy ending, for there to be justice) is how the justice system worked. Sure, there are dysfunctional justice systems all the time. But to discount all of Hitsugaya and Momo's wounds; for the defense to not even try to cross-examine Momo and call her testimony into question, seeing as she can't remember anything and so how can she be a reliable witness? To not investigate Aizen's past further, nor his link with Tousen? To not cross-examine Gin, and his shady past? All of those things might have helped Toushirou.

And what happens to Momo after? She's already been shattered. This letter will probably haunt her for the rest of her days. What if she tries to hurt herself? What if she confesses, and undoes Toushirou's sacrifice? I have a feeling that Toushirou's death would not have saved her anyway, now that she's read this letter. But I am actually glad that she read it rather than remaining in ignorance the rest of her life - protecting someone too much can be a mistake, Toushirou. As you yourself showed in this story.

I loved how you tied Bleach plot elements into this, such as Momo's amnesia (relating to her refusal to believe Aizen's actions in canon) and the two of them in a final showdown with Aizen. Speaking of which, that scene, where Momo loses her mind (and where did she get a gun, anyway? Someone she met at the strip club?) and dares Aizen to kill Toushirou - was chilling, reminiscent of when she lost her reason and tried to kill Toushirou herself. In her despair and rage, she loses herself and does not think of the safety of her dearest friend. Another tragedy in this story filled with tragedies.

Finally, and I'm sorry for writing an essay - honestly not many fanfics bring me to the brink of emotion that it takes for me to write review essays - the thing that strikes me most about this story is the pure, undying, infinite devotion Toushirou has for Momo. It wavers at times - he's only human, he can be scared - but his singular goal to protect her at the expense of his very life is one of, I believe, the character's defining characteristics, and it is portrayed sublimely in this work.

I'm sure I have more to say, but thank you for writing this. (It makes me wonder what I'm doing, writing stories with no real emotional push like yours... but we all do what we can, eh?) I do hope you continue your other stories - like Morphean (I LOVE your fantasy elements woven in with the gritty despair of wartime) and The Fireworks (a story that brings to mind the style and wistful, plaintive works of Murakami). I haven't read Somewhere Only We Know yet. I can only take so much heartache at once.

I hope we see you again soon!
whitealmond chapter 22 . 3/7
Urgh. Somehow I knew this was going to happen and I was going to feel like I'd been run over by a truck, but still I kept on reading, because I just couldn't stop. So the hero dies and Momo has to live with the guilt of being responsible for his death for the rest of her life?
You know, this would make a really good movie. Even though it makes me want to drown myself in alcohol to forget about how miserable it made me. (And that's a compliment.)
whitealmond chapter 21 . 3/7
WHAT ABOUT THE YEARS OF ABUSE. WHAT ABOUT - I - I CAN'T
whitealmond chapter 20 . 3/7
Until the previous and this chapter I wouldn't have even thought it might have been Momo... oh god what's going to happen next?
whitealmond chapter 17 . 3/7
That last part was heart-poundingly terrifying... it's always hard for me to read about rape/attempted rape. In this instance, I could tolerate it more because the bleak, dark situation makes it seem more realistic.
whitealmond chapter 15 . 3/7
Is this the deal she made with Aizen? I shudder to think what else is going on - surely Hitsugaya suspects something more?
And it's really interesting how their lives have sort of flipped, now, with Hinamori being the one in more psychological - perhaps physical? - pain.
whitealmond chapter 14 . 3/7
You have a real talent for drama, suspense, romance, angst. If you ever write original fiction or screenplays I'd love to see them. Toushirou and Hiyori's relationship here is so intense. She's the first one other than Momo that he tries to protect.
whitealmond chapter 11 . 3/7
She finally sees the truth? That can't be good. I'm glad, but at the same time, I'm very, very afraid.
whitealmond chapter 10 . 3/7
I didn't notice anything about this chapter being different from the other ones... they're all marvelous. I forgot to mention how much I liked the way you described Hitsugaya's changing feelings in the previous chapters.

I'm also really hoping that the defense says something about Hitsugaya's scars... and I assume Aizen was never brought to justice, because Hitsugaya never reported that it was he who ran Ukitake down? *sigh*
whitealmond chapter 9 . 3/7
Gin, what's the matter with you?! I thought you liked Rangiku, step away from the prepubescent girls! _
whitealmond chapter 7 . 3/7
This is getting really hard to read... but I will soldier on! I think I'm a masochist myself, when it comes to your stories ;)
whitealmond chapter 6 . 3/7
I do think he would endure anything for her, including keeping his injuries from her so that she could stay in a "happy family"... but wouldn't finding a new home free of illusions have been better for both of you, Hitsugaya?
whitealmond chapter 4 . 3/7
This is really chilling. I can't imagine what Aizen wants with Momo...
whitealmond chapter 3 . 3/7
Enter the Big Evil. And don't ever say your stories are pointless! They are well-written, poetic, and never fail to touch (break) my heart.