Reviews for Sins of the Father
The Lark chapter 1 . 11/9/2011
Take good care of my boy, Eamon."

"I will, Your Majesty."

*facepalm* Poor Maric, he doesn't have a clue, does he? Personally, I'm in the camp of Alistair being Fiona's, but this was really good, you've got writing Loghain and Maric down cold.
Psyche Sinclair chapter 1 . 10/30/2011
My favourite bit in this is Eamon. Everyone in game seems to think he's this great guy, and it just didn't sit right with me.

But yes. Enjoyable, true enough to the setting and characters to make me squirm a little in my seat. It is too bad that Loghain couldn't take Alistair; I imagine he'd've taught him to think for himself, if nothing else.

He also wouldn't have promised to take care of him and then let Isolde indulge her cruel side, and then shuffled him off to the Chantry as soon as he didn't have an immediate use for him. (Yes, I am bitter on Alistair's behalf, and I find it easy to imagine Isolde being cruel. Anyone who could have someone tortured rubs me the wrong way.)
Pewpew chapter 1 . 5/13/2011
Nicely written ) I did enjoy reading that.
NuitNuit chapter 1 . 3/1/2011
Just love this... Makes me want to smack Maric and give Rowan to Loghain.
Lord Coake chapter 1 . 2/20/2011
It always makes me snarl to see the first ones to speak of "doing what must be done" are generally the ones that DON'T have their own asses on the line.

Then again, this is hereditary "nobility" here. "Duty and honor, so long as I can afford it" and all that jazz.
arysani chapter 1 . 2/16/2011
I still love this. Though I have given up on Anders being Fiona's kid, I still do not believe Alistair is her son either. I think there are too many secrets being kept if in fact Alistair was born after Rowan's death, when Maric had his fling with Fiona - for exactly the reasons you cite here. Acknowledging Alistair while Rowan was still alive would create problems, and I can't remember when we are told it is Loghain who helps "clean up" after Maric in the instance of Alistair, but why would Loghain care unless it meant dishonoring Rowan? (Or perhaps we just assume this because he is not surprised about Alistair in the least?) He knows his friend has a loose button on his trousers, but if he had a bastard after his wife died, what does it matter, as Maric puts it?

I do wonder what would've happened if he had been put about as Teagan's son instead of Eamon's? I'm almost wondering if he would have been sent away to the Chantry at all? I mean, Rowan could easily have been a figure in Alistair's life if she felt bad for her young brother with this burden - "bring him to court, let him play with Cailan" instead of "Eamon is old enough to deal with his own problems the way he sees fit"...
waiting4morning chapter 1 . 1/31/2011
For my own personal canon, I prefer the idea of Fiona as Alistair's mother, but this was a lovely, heartbreaking story that does fit with what the game at least has set out. Loghain and Maric are perfect here-very reminiscent of the books.
mutive chapter 1 . 11/30/2010
Dear Maric,

You are a doofus. Why did I give you Rowan again? Oh, yeah, so that someone competent would be running the kingdom. But, honestly, I should have just taken the kingdom, married Rowan, and lived happily ever after.

You. Are. An. Idiot. You should not be trusted to walk a dog around the block by yourself.

Incidentally, I don't trust your idiot spawn (either of them), either. The only way I will even marginally approve of them running the country is if they marry my daughter, therefore giving Ferelden some hope at a functional government.

I'd say that we're no longer friends, but we both know that I can't be angry with you when you smile...

Loghain
jackofbladesx chapter 1 . 10/20/2010
One small issue...I'm pretty sure Alistair came BEFORE Isolde and Eamon were married.

Other than that small thing, great story. Really nice too see more of Maric and Lohgain. Lohgain was portrayed well as was Eamon. Maric...well i've never read any of the books so i can only assume on Maric.

Nice story
icey cold chapter 1 . 8/23/2010
There is a Loghain community on livejournal? Oh my, I have been missing out, missing out indeed.

Surprise aside, what an excellent look at this moment. Loghain's pragmatic stance about what to do with the boy (and why it should be done) was a perfect counterpoint to Maric's rather thoughtless, but well-meaning state of mind. I love how those two just play off each other, Maric wants to be heroic and good and kind, but Loghain understands what the consequences of every good deed are.

Eamon was surprisingly pliant about the idea of taking on Maric's bastard, but I can understand why he would be given that if he didn't, it meant ruining his sister's reputation or putting undue stress on his younger brother. I chuckled at the, "What about her?" line when they referenced Isolde, as if she didn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Oh, but Alistair will become so comfortable sleeping in the straw of the barn, thank you, Isolde.
plutospawn chapter 1 . 8/22/2010
Having not read the novels, I enjoyed this. Loghain's voice is really strong in this, and I can see a how close he is to the character he becomes in the game. He's still pig-headed and sort of a jerk, but at the same time he's completely right. Don't screw around on your wife, etc.

Eamon's machinations were a neat little touch, too. How it's almost a convenient politicking tool to have Alistair. It's a nice play against how Loghain will later sort of bully his way into the regency. It almost makes me think that maybe everything he says ingame was right, or at least his heart was in the right place, he just lacked the subtlety for manipulation.
Windchime68 chapter 1 . 8/21/2010
This was wonderful and sad. I can well imagine Maric and Loghain reacting in exactly these ways. And Eamon's promise to look after Alistair is a little heartbreaking - one has to wonder whether Maric would have considered how Eamon actually did raise Alistair as 'taking good care' of him. Nicely done.
vic chapter 1 . 8/20/2010
i liked it a lot. I always wondered if maric had more than one bastard kid given the contradictions between the game and the novel.
Piceron chapter 1 . 8/20/2010
I really enjoyed this. You write Loghain very well. I'm not convinced Alistair is Fiona's son since David Gaider won't confirm it. I'm wondering if they are planning some big surprise at some point at revealing just who the mysterious son is. (I'm fond of the Anders viewpoint myself. I think Anders looks more like Cailan than Alistair did, but that just could have been how it all worked out.)

I can so see the self-satisfied look on Eamon's face at being able to take the child. Man, too bad Maric didn't let him go with Teagan. How awesome would that have been for Alistair?

Thanks for the story!
Sazei chapter 1 . 8/20/2010
O_O

Wow that was great. I not read any of the Dragon Age books myself but I read enough about them to get some idea what happen in it and based on the game at least I can so see that something like this might have happened. Even though I despise the character in general I think my favourite part of the story was Eamon. There is just something to Eamon that despite him seeming honourable at the surface rubs me the wrong way. Everything is a bit too casual to him including the lose of his wife or son. At times I got the feeling he just don't seem that able to care about how things affect others at all. I bet Alistair would have been better of with Teagan.

I heard Maric really isn't such a bad man in the books but I really don't see why he is so loved myself. He sounds like such a douchebag to me. xD

I do adore Loghain though. He might be quite a cruel bastard himself but at least he seems somewhat honest about it and don't pretend to be able to hold up to some high noble standards or something. That and he mostly had such a crappy life that he deserves to be a bit grumpy about it all.

Anyway I love your Dragon Age stories. I read all three chapters of that other story of yours as well but I been a little too busy/lazy to leave a review yet.