Reviews for The Only Light Left to Shine
PenAndInkPrincess chapter 1 . 1/5/2011
Oh! This is one of my favorites yet! I'm half-ashamed to admit that I love when a character like Ahiru gets hurt and then the others worry and are so relieved when she gets better. Well, at least I'm not like Drosselmeyer, a tragedy addict...
Moon Shadow Magic chapter 1 . 8/22/2010
Well done, I thought, a nice study of the three of them in such an emergency, and avoiding a light treatment of such an injury. I can indeed see Autor reacting as he did- and then losing it, and trying to scrub himself clean.

A few nitpicks do suggest themselves- if they were in town, with a shot fired and all the yelling, I can't see Kinkan/ Gold Crown not peeking out the windows and doors as soon as something noisy happens! Even if it's not the brightest idea. ("Stop! Thief!" and "Help, murder!" were, I think, specific cries for assistance, the sort of thing everyone paid attention to long before Good Samaritan laws. Just like "Fire!" Or "Wolf.")

Secondly (and I hope it isn't too long or boring) Germany has long been a source of some of the finest swords and armor (Solingen blades are as much a byword as Toledo and Damascus) and also has produced some of the finest firearms. If you choose to set the isolation of the town anywhere in the late 1800's (Tchaikovsky died around 1890, I think) through the mid- 1900's (Prokofieff was active in the 1930's and 40's, I think one of his ballets is the latest piece of music used), excellent revolvers would have been quite familiar to anyone from the 1870's on, and true semiautomatic pistols were used in WWI- the American Colt model 1911 (I think that's the year), for instance. Remember Dr. Watson and his Army revolver were around even earlier. Things have been refined since, but for about a century and a half for revolvers with cartridges (not separate percussion caps) and a century for semiautos, very little has actually changed.

That the town *possesses* very little in the way of modern arms is very likely, though; I can't see Drosselmeyer as finding anything beyond a decorated black- powder muzzleloader useful for his settings, and obviously he prefers medieval cutlery.

Yep, I was afraid I'd get wordy. Sorry. Everybody in the family is familiar with firearms and history, and like horses, I know a little on the subject.
Chibi Cheesecake chapter 1 . 8/21/2010
Ooh, I really like this! Above all I really like Autor's resolve to keep calm and in control no matter what, which just makes it all the more heartbreaking when he does lose control. ;_; It just makes for a good contrast with Fakir...since we do see him get pretty riled up sometimes in canon. And I really love how this fic deals with them reacting in different ways to something so awful, and then coming to the realization that neither one cares any more or less no matter how they reacted.

I think you've definitely built up a really unique friendship between Fakir and Autor.
MiaAmerne chapter 1 . 8/21/2010
Man, as always, another great story! Even though the beginning was really heart-wrenching, it ended with a very touching moment. I'm glad Autor and Fakir finally sort of...came to terms with each other. And most importantly, Ahiru's okay!

Once again, great story!
CSKazaam chapter 1 . 8/20/2010
This fic came out great! Ahiru getting shot was so awful, and the fact that she's always so kind and caring just makes it worse. ;_;

I really liked how you portrayed Kinkan and how modern things like guns are rather unfamiliar there. That made the scene with the guy robbing the coach so much more interesting, seeing it from the perspective of not really understanding what was happening, until Ahiru and Autor realized that the guy was holding a gun. o.o And that must've made it that much more frightening to actually see the gun, and then to have Ahiru be shot like that!

Autor's scream was so heartbreaking! Having Ahiru's blood all over his hands must've been horrifying.

I liked the scene with Ahiru hearing what was going on, but not being able to speak outside of her mind. It would be awful to think that Autor was hurt, and be unable to do anything!

The confrontation between Autor and Fakir came out really well. Their similarities, at least in the matter of pride, really seem to lead to quite a bit of conflict between the two. Though I'm glad that they're still able to push through all that and still be friends.

That was interesting about Autor finding the Bible and starting to read through it, especially wondering about why certain passages were important to his mother. I could definitely see him wanting to know that - in a way, it would probably be a way for him to know her better, especially now that she's gone.

I think the whole religious aspect came out really well, actually. I think of Kinkan as being somewhere in Germany, so I'd imagine that they could probably be very religious over there, especially when being such an old-fashioned town.

Autor's line about the codeword and blatantly saying that Ahiru is the girl that Fakir wants to marry someday is totally priceless. LOL. I think that's my favorite line. XD

I love how Autor was able to see that he really did save Ahiru's life, even if it was only by moving her that little bit. And it's great that he's able to forgive Fakir for the things he'd said. X3

Awesome fic!