Reviews for Missive
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 10/18/2011
What a splendid letter! And Marchbanks is no fool-instead of frightening a Healer, who might keep avoiding the room out of fear, just when she should be there for her patient, the old witch put heart into her instead.

Well done.
Vera Rozalsky chapter 1 . 8/5/2011
The poignancy of this tale, with its carefully reserved Griselda and passionate young Minerva, is both resonant and delightful to anyone who knows the milieu and the lines being negotiated. Among other things, this tale encouraged me to include Madam Marchbanks in my fanfics as an honored guest at nearly any state occasion of note, as clearly she is one of the leading lights of the wizarding world.

Thank you!
Dicere chapter 1 . 6/11/2011
Just brilliant. A lifetime of love in a letter, and the extension of strength between three generations of women.
Swallow B chapter 1 . 9/2/2010
After reading this, I can't believe I had never paid attention to Griselda Marchbanks before. Here is another of JKR's remarkable strong women who need to get out of the background and be noticed a bit more.

What house was she in? I can't decide.

My favourite lines : "Apologies are one of the things I've let myself give up now I'm old." What age is old? I can't wait.

And "You'll be able to walk between several different that's immortality."
aptasi chapter 1 . 8/22/2010
Wow! You're done it again, taken a character I barely remember and brought out everything that makes them interesting. As always, I love the lines you've given Minerva, and the voice you've craften for Marchbanks is genius.

"Not even old Tofty could object once you'd transfigured his walking stick into that naked Muggle man. David, or whatever you said that statue was called" was my favorite line, I think.
moira of the mountain chapter 1 . 8/22/2010
Another crisp and perfect piece. I love the balance in Marchbanks of ferocity and tenderness. The fact that one of her dearest friends and confidants is Slytherin is truly a refreshing perspective (about time...) There is something especially astute and touching that she chose the long term relationship of lasting frienship over the fleeting one of passion. And I love the courage and determination that she managed to awaken in the young healer, simply by indicating that she trusted her to do her best - often that's the simplest way any teacher can inspire a student - "I know you're capable, now see that in yourself, and let's move forward..." As always, dear friend, a lovely work that made my Sunday even better !