Reviews for The Death of Children
Maria chapter 1 . 11/17/2012
I wish this is what happened in the series. Gorgeous piece.
Fluffybird chapter 1 . 7/2/2012
Woo!
threesquares chapter 1 . 5/17/2012
I wasn't on ff when this came out, and I don't know how authors feel about getting reviews on earlier stories but I can't imagine that it would be a *bad* thing. Its just that I don't know if you even know about them later. ANYWAY...I love love love this story. The scene on the balcony is crazy hot and the idea that Brennan would just have to be close to him physically immediately and often just resonated and feels right. The setting...the monastery, scuttling monks, meadow, small bodies...is just perfect. Sad and tranquil and natural. Michele
zombienath chapter 1 . 10/3/2011
This story is just... feeling. It doesn't really need words- if there were such a thing as telepathy, you could probably write this fic in just emotion and have it mean the same thing. I'm not making any sense here, am I? Ah well. This is very good.
angiebc chapter 1 . 8/20/2011
Wonderful writing. I've been reading a couple of your one-shots, and I have to say that I love your style of writing. I plan on reading the rest of your stories tonight. Thank you for writing so beautifully :)

Angie
Greened Ink chapter 1 . 7/28/2011
I always thought she'd go as far away as she could.
nelliesbones chapter 1 . 4/21/2011
Again, heart-crushingly beautiful. I like the Kindertotenlieder reference, I remember it vaguely from university.
bookish327 chapter 1 . 11/14/2010
Wow. Powerful writing. Excellent job!
Birth.of.the.Phoenix chapter 1 . 11/7/2010
If I had to choose, I think this story would be my favorite... Everything that gets unleashed in here is just too hard to capture and impossible to be put into words with a simple review. IMHO you did something amazing again with this story. I'm wondering how you write such a thing... are you plotting out the details? ..or are you doing it on impulse, in one sitting?

Your scenes flow with ease. I never feel that they are calculated, because everything in them feels like a reaction to something else that's happened before: a part of a thought process, an emotional growth or a section of events. It's like you don't GENERATE for effect, but just rather decide to shed a light on something that IS to illuminate the significant parts of a whole. (Does this thing I'm writing make any sense?)

As for what's in the story itself: The idea of Bones running away makes sense. She'd want to avoid dealing with the death she HAD TO deal with, by surrounding herself with a lot of OTHER deaths she knew how to handle... but dealing with them wouldn't give her real peace, just momentary distraction. It's a very plausible scenario... and knowing Breannan, it would be in-character to miss the funeral and grieve in her own way. (It would've worked in canon too, back then.)

The setting you chose for the story worked very well, contrasting the beauty with the horrors of dead children, symbolic of unrealized futures and unending mourning. The whole scenery and theme set a hopeless, melancholic (yet at the same time turmoiled) mood for the first part of the story, with Bones unable to properly accept and mourn the loss of Booth, forcing an artificial calm on herself, but not being able to get rid of the memories.

It's so heartbreaking when they first see each other. The way she can only deal with the shock by telling herself it's just a dream, the way he reacts. With everything that hits her in that one single moment, the only possible outcomes could be fight of flight... and she chooses to run, but when he catches up with her and takes away the second option, she turns all the pain, confusion and feeling of betrayal into aggression and she fights. It couldn't have been any other way. It all comes out in a furious wave, and as the realization seeps through the thick fog of shock in her head the fighting against all the sharp pain and death turns into an insatiable hunger to reaffirm life, to confirm the reality of the situation the only way possible: grab Booth and drag him as close INTO herself as humanly possible, a place he can't disappear from... and of course Booth immediately reacts to that. They're holding so hard onto this reality that they don't care about anything else... not their manners, not the pain they're causing each other, not the future or the risks, nothing apart from the need to connect and reaffirm. She draws blood to see, to confirm he's really there (just like that GooGoo Dolls song: "...when everything feels like the movies / yeah you bleed just to know you're alive...").

These are emotions at their rawest and - in a way - purest form.

To me the most memorable, stunning, emotionally charged and - yes - beautiful sentence in the whole story is this:

"She cries out, the sound muffled by his mouth on hers, and tenses all over, which shatters what's left of his restraint and makes him come in his pants like a teenager during his first makeout session under the bleachers."

I know it shouldn't be my favorite, but all that leads up to this sentence - and I don't just mean this story, but years of canon - makes this so REAL, so "bare to the bones" and brutally intimate... the way they can't control themselves when something in them grows bigger than they are and they're powerless to do anything about it anymore... and it consumes them without giving any room for fear of what it means or what's going to happen next. I find it hard to find the right words when it comes to your portrayal of thoughts and emotions... but THIS, this is something so elemental, a force of nature that I can’t even come CLOSE to describing it. I'm at a loss for words...

- - - - -

(PS: There are so many more details I'd love to mention, but they really don't fit anywhere into this review, because they are very random... If you're interested, though I could send them in a PM or something...)
DrB chapter 1 . 8/24/2010
More...please?
Hotforteacher3 chapter 1 . 8/24/2010
Holy crap that was awesome!
huronia chapter 1 . 8/24/2010
This was a great take on this "what if". I love where you set this. It fit perfectly with where she would be emotionally.

"Her thoughts have gone back to the children, to lives curt short and futures that never came to be, and she can't bring herself to let go of the tangible proof that against all odds, in the face of everything she has learned in her dealings with death, he has come back from the dead to pull her away from their all-encompassing embrace. She's never felt more alive before..." That captures Brennan so well. Well done!
rosyle chapter 1 . 8/24/2010
Wow! That was excellent. Full of very real emotions by both Booth & Brennan :)
Mrs. Fitzgerald chapter 1 . 8/24/2010
So sad and awesome at the same time!
Chicklit chapter 1 . 8/24/2010
Bravo - This is fantastic. Thanks for sharing.