Reviews for Ease His Pain
Random Ruth chapter 1 . 7/4/2014
This is such an original and clever idea - and of course Sam still asks for Dean to have a reward rather than him... Sammmmy!
sapphireswimming chapter 1 . 7/30/2013
This is beautiful. Love how you took the Field of Dreams and turned it into this in-between place where the Doc was a guide and a listener and a healer. He was just the person that Sam needed to talk things out with. The dialogue flowed so naturally and it was beautiful seeing the story unfold the way it did. :)
Lucydolly22 chapter 1 . 10/6/2012
I amm quite confused is Sam a spirit in this story?
Rose chapter 1 . 9/16/2011
Beautiful. It made me cry. Thank you
Von chapter 1 . 8/19/2011
I got a strong sense of emotion with all the baseball stuff. Like, the story tied in to the emotional and sensory memory of playing the game? It felt very American. :D I could feel that I was missing out of those emotions/memories.

When Doc said "He's waiting for you to move on, Sam. He won't leave you. But he'll know when you're gone. He'll feel it. And then he'll go." did that mean that if Sam had chosen to die, then Dean would have? Because if so, that seemed like just as good a solution as them both going.

I loved how Sam asked for Dean to be able to go instead. I'd love to see what would have happened if the guy had said 'okay' and then Dean was faced with the choice.

Of course, the Dean waiting for Sam in the stands... hallucination or memory? I got the sense that Doc's happy memories were.. ALL memory, if you know what I mean. Reliving moments, with memories of people rather than the people themselves.
CeCe Away chapter 1 . 10/6/2010
Oh, Harrigan, this is truly wonderful. Lifts my heart for the boys. Truly an excellent piece of writing, my friend.
Madebyme chapter 1 . 9/9/2010
Apologies for being so late with the review but I've just got back from my hols and the catchup has just began. You've been a busy bee whilst I've been away and I'm delighted to see that there are so many new fics from you for me to sink my teeth into! Yey!

As soon as I read the synopsis I thought wow, this is going to fit so neatly with the show. There's something about Field of Dreams that the audience connects with; the simplicity and heart of the story, the magic of belief and hope and how it all revolves around family and a father son relationship. And I liked how you used these comparisons to tie the two together, creating a believable premise and a beautiful and poetic read.

Doc Graham was spot on and you did such a great job at capturing the wisdom and mystery in his voice – it could have come straight from the original. His conversation with Sam was handled perfectly, giving us a handful of clues and answers without spelling out all the details, a quality of your writing that I've always admired.

Great idea to pick up the fact that both father's were named John. I think you really captured Sam's initial reaction so perfectly, how even after all these years the pain is still there.

I always find the most pleasure in the little details and this was no exception. Docs memories of holding his wife close and wanting to protect her, Sam's memory of Dean playing baseball, how Doc reads Sam's facial expressions, how Sam wants to give his ticket to Dean and how Sam refuses to leave his brother behind despite Doc's best attempts. I could on but I fear I'll be repeating the fic to you!

But I guess the ending is what struck me the hardest. The beauty and innocence of seeing the boys doing something so everyday and normal, seeing them together and happy without the weight of the world on their shoulders. There was something so haunting and powerful about that imagery, perhaps because we know it can't last or that maybe this is the type of normalcy that they've rarely had, in childhood or adulthood. But that brotherly bond was so clear, that stubbornness and determination to stay together and do what's best for each other. Such a wonderful and unique way to depict the boys and their relationship.

This was a stunning read, I relished every single word. You really hit the ball out of the park with this one! I'll be back for more reviews soon and I'm so glad to see you posting again. Take care, Abbi
psquare chapter 1 . 9/5/2010
This is just lovely, moving, evocative writing.

Of course, I know nothing about baseball, but that detracted nothing from my enjoyment of this story. The heartfelt emotion in every line and the fabulous imagery was more than enough.

Take care, and keep writing!
Medusa -the writer chapter 1 . 8/28/2010
That was... beautiful! And I LOVED Field Of Dreams. Great tie in.
Psychee chapter 1 . 8/28/2010
Field of Dreams is probably one of my husband's favorite movies. Ease his pain indeed, ease both their pain. Thank you, this was a lovely story.
Lisa O'Brien chapter 1 . 8/25/2010
Beautiful story. Thank you!
Scullspeare chapter 1 . 8/25/2010
Certain movies bring back specific memories; for me, Field of Dreams is one of them. I remember glancing around when I was sitting in the theatre, and everyone was smiling. Everyone. It wasn't a funny scene or a great line - it was just the magic of the movie itself.

This story had the same kind of magic, the same ability to make me smile as I read it. You nailed the character of Doc Graham - I could hear him saying your words in Burt Lancaster's voice.

And the boys - my heart ached for them. So much pain, and not just physical.

Absolutely love the conversation between Doc and Sam - you touched on so much of the emotional turmoil of the past couple of seasons - and Dean, while off in the distance, but still a strong presence. Beautiful link to his selfless actions in the finale.

Loved, too, that you played with the fact that Ray Kinsella's dad and Sam's are both name John. Sam's reaction was spot on.

And the idea of the boys playing catch... see, now I'm smiling again!

Sometimes the last line of a story is the hardest to write but yours in this fic is perfect: "The last thing he hears is the thwock of the ball hitting the pocket of a baseball glove: once, and then again. Settling into a back-and-forth rhythm. Like a conversation: a confession, an apology, a promise. Without words. And then the laughter of two young men enjoying a simple hour without cares, before they take up their burdens again." *sniff* Well, I'm smiling and sniffing.

Awesomely beautiful!
SunnyZim chapter 1 . 8/25/2010
This story was truly beautiful. Right from the beginning it sucked me in with the original character POV and the unique premise,and the further along I got the more I loved it. It read like poetry with its beautiful, flowing, lyrical style and I loved the mystery and ambiguity in it. Seeing Sam so hurt and lost made me ache but the ending more than made up for it in sheer beauty and satisfaction. It was gorgeous and I loved it. It literally almost brought me to tears;) Well DONE.
masondixon chapter 1 . 8/24/2010
Hesitated for a moment when I began this story because I couldn't figure out The Field of Dreams was going to interact with Supernatural.

You did a beautiful job.

Thank You.
BranchSuper chapter 1 . 8/24/2010
Lovely story - a field of dreams for Sam and Dean. Nicely done.