Reviews for The Star Wars of Penzance: A Space Operetta
John Cowan chapter 5 . 9/4/2014
Another thing that's important when doing the Major-General song is to make sure that there's a semantic turn at the beginning of the third verse ("In fact, when I know what is meant" etc.) , expressing the contrast between the theoretical knowledge the character has and the practical knowledge he lacks. This is almost always missed in parodies, though Kevin Wald's Xena version has it (but then he is a grammarian, and can doubtless see further into the future than others). Your past self, of course, dodged this bullet by not having a third verse!
CHAOS chapter 5 . 2/7/2013
You are a genius. Please cast this and put it on YouTube forever. I will watch this song every day!
CHAOS chapter 1 . 2/7/2013
As soon as I got to the lisp in the song, I literally choked laughing. Thank you for making the lyrics rhyme! Some writers don't.
Guest chapter 5 . 10/28/2012
It was nice to read the reference to Kitty's uniform.
There's a Puget Sound Star Trekkers group on Facebook. I hope you'll consider joining the group.
Overdog chapter 1 . 4/6/2012
You win! I surrender!

I was searching through the lists to find the absolutely goofiest crossover possible, and it came down to yours and another that was "Pokemon/Jesus Christ Superstar". This one is much funnier.
chill13 chapter 7 . 1/20/2012
Of course, the good guys always win. A topsy-turvy ending Gilbert would have been proud of!
chill13 chapter 6 . 1/20/2012
Oooh. I LOVE the orphan bit! I can't hear either word in regular conversation without asking: Do you mean 'orphan' a person who has lost his parents, or 'often' 'frequently.

Wow. That's the most hilarious death scene I've read in awhile. The 'dead bug' bit practically had me on the floor!

Love the Policemen's song! You did so good. And 'a bit player's lot is not a happy one' was absolutely perfect.

And I know what you mean. I don't think G&S obsession can wear off.
chill13 chapter 4 . 1/20/2012
I always like the middle-aged lady. Katisha was such a great character, and you gotta love Buttercup and Pirates just wouldn't be the same without Ruth. Lady Blanche was kind of annoying, though. 'the plot required it'. Such a good explaination. Gilbert did that a lot.

Thanks for the BG on "all the Coke in China". I was wondering about that.
chill13 chapter 3 . 1/20/2012
He's the metronome! Oh, that's so funny! Yes! A 'space opera' just wouldn't be right without that comic baritone! So Ruth also runs a theatrical crew. Impressive.

'Bravery sophmoric'. Your word choices are great. I've already had to wipe my monitor off from laughing.
chill13 chapter 2 . 1/20/2012
"Toeses" Very Gilbert-esqe. After all he used the word "shoeses" in 'The Grand Duke'.

The girls chorus sounded very Munchkin-y to begin with. So casting those little guys as Stanley's daughters is perfect.

He DOES look like the robot from that old silent movie, Metropolis, doesn't he? Started watching that once but never finished it. I don't think he could have pulled off Robbie, though. Wrong shape, lol! Dr. A! Asimov was such a trailblazer wasn't he!
chill13 chapter 1 . 1/20/2012
O, Modified Rapture!

This is HILARIOUS! I am a huge Gilbert and Sullivan buff myself and although I don't know too much about Star Wars I am aware of the story and characters. (I squealed with delight when I heard about the Star Trek/Pinafore story too, which was about two weeks ago) You've done an awesome job so far with the songs. I'm finding myself singing along. I absolutely love the original play and know it by heart so reading this is such a delight.

I laughed so hard at Mabel's comment about being dipped in "boiling oil-or was it molten lead?" Awesome nod to The Mikado! And was 'Grosvenor' a real Star Wars character or did you use a name from 'Patience'?
012343210 chapter 1 . 8/24/2011
Oh. My. Goodness.

First, allow me to law a hefty heaping of blame at your feet. I think I will now forever hear "Zap, oh zap... zing, oh zing..." whenever I see this show!

Second, let me applaud your casting choices. Vader as the Pirate King? PERFECT. (*Crossing fingers as I flip ahead to see what Ruth is given.*)

Third, my favourite Gilbertian rhyme in the bunch? "Budget" with "grudge it."

Fourth, THERE'S A STAR TREK/PINAFORE PARODY OUT THERE SOMEWHERE?
Imablack chapter 7 . 5/29/2011
This was really great. It made my day. I would love to read "The Mikado Strikes Back." "The Mikado" is my favourite G&S, so I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the laughs.

~Missyann
Imablack chapter 6 . 5/29/2011
Awww...poor bit players. If they were in Star Trek, I could see them in red tunics.:P
Imablack chapter 5 . 5/29/2011
Hey...Don't knock yourself. The Patter Song is a really tough one to get down and it really was funny...which is the whole point, anyway. :D It was a perfect match for Obi-wan Stanley. I'm sorry...I can't stop laughing at some of these names!

Great Job.