Reviews for Not by bread alone Не хлебом единым
Kittie Darkhart chapter 8 . 9/27/2010
I have to admit: the ending is indeed cute. I also loved the allusions to Peter Pan, by the way, as well as Alice's 'six impossible things!' :)

Mina's interaction with Alice and Wendy's family gives this epilogue a nice little hint of what is to come. I also have a feeling that Time and all of its many incarnations shall be viewed relatively differently among each family. And since reading the Maddest Tea Party, it would be interesting to see how Stayne and Hook get on, given how we very well know how Stayne and Tarrant consider each other! I don't see how their wives manage them in close company, let alone having them in the same room together! XD

Nevertheless, Stayne's revelation of God and his own transgressions delivers a very spiritual, very prodical, very powerful emphasis of his former villainy - or knavery, as it were. I daresay that Mina has made quite an impact on him.

I also love Satyne's little moniker for the White Queen! Being confined for so long in the Outlands, not to mention the fact that she failed to tell him he was a father three times over, I really can't say that I blame him for wanting his sword. Perhaps the Lobster Quadrille will bring the family together, and all thoughts of claiming the White Queen's heads will be gone.

Anyway, a lovely ending to a lovely story. It certainly leads up to your Maddest Tea Party quite wonderfully. And, as always, I do hope to see more of your work in the future! :)

Until then,

Kittie Darkhart chapter 7 . 9/15/2010
And to take a leaf from William Shakespeare's R&J, parting is such sweet sorrow. Dear God, why does Mina have to leave Underland? Forgive me, but it's the same with almost every reality-based fantasy story. I.E. Heroine must escape the imprisoning confines of her world; heroine escapes into a most fanstical place, makes new friends, conquers her inner demons, learns something about herself, and then returns again to those restrictive confines, this time willingly. The End. God, that formula gets so, bloody, annoying after awhile. -_-;

As such, I certainly hope that Mina returns, since I hate to see her separated from her 'one true love.'

And am I sensing some bitterness with Alice's departure in the film? I may contridict myself in saying this, but I believe that, at the end of the film, Alice 'needed' to return to her world, so that she could tie up some loose ends, before returning to Underland permanently. Seriously, if I loved my sister, I would not leave her to the mercy of some two-timing cad like Lowell. I wanted Alice to stay with Tarrant, I truly did, but I also understand her reasons for going back. I can't condemn Alice for it, since she intends to return. Nor can I, in her hesitation in slaying the Jabberwocky; the inhabitants of Underland, I feel, selfishly put a lot pressure on Alice. And besides which, she's only nineteen; that's really quite young to burden someone's shoulders with a world of responsibility.

But enough of my defence of Alice, I have to say that I, also, hope that Mirana doesn't go back on her word. I doubt she will, since she has made her vows and all, but you never know.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the next chapter! :)

Best regards,

Kittie Darkhart chapter 6 . 9/15/2010
The concept of Time is interesting in this chapter, considering how the Hatter made such a fuss over it in the novel. It is interesting to see Stayne doing the same, albeit Time is, certainly, a very important figure in Underland.

I also noticed little hints and traces of Peter Pan in this chapter, as well, with the Mother/Father name-calling between Mina and Stayne, and the 'Till we meet again,' which was featured in the 2003 version. But then, again, I could be delving a little too deeply, there, since my mind is all muddled at the moment. Even Michael Nyman's wondrous compositions are barely breathing through the cranial miasma that is currently plaguing me...(Sighs.)

Anyway, seeing as you have another chapter up, I am going to continue my thoughts - half-crazed and muddled such may be - in another review.

Until then,

IngloriousShosanna chapter 1 . 9/15/2010
all together now: awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :P

that's all really :)

very nicely done once again!
Kittie Darkhart chapter 5 . 9/10/2010
I really like this chapter, in particular. Truly, I was rather glad of Mina putting the White Queen in her place, since I had difficulty in understanding just exactly 'why' she was better suited to wear the crown. Both queens had their good and bad points, in my opinion. That, and I 'do' like Iracebeth! :)

I realise that I am probably going to go on a tangent now, but I'm afraid it cannot be helped. Indeed, as with some other people who have seen the film, I fail to understand what made Mirana so good and Iracebeth so bad; both wanted the crown, and would stop at nothing to acquire it. Sure, Mirana told Alice that she had a choice to slay the Jabberwocky, but who else could, according to that stupid prophecy that the Oraculum suggested? Some of the film's storyline, really, did not make a lot of sense. -_-;

But really, I am rather glad that you depicted Mirana a little differently, compared to the perfect, benevolent monarch that she's so often portrayed. Because, really, she acts rather childish, if not a tad hypcritical in her punishments, especially in this story.

I also enjoyed Mina's resolve to marry Stayne, although I have a feeling that not everyone in Underland is going to be pleased by the news of their forthcoming nuptials! (Wink! Wink!)
IngloriousShosanna chapter 6 . 9/9/2010
lol these two are very sweet!

a bit of bickering is good, makes them more drawn to each other!

v. nicely done, I can't believe its Mina Harker! Is is bad that i'm waiting for her to bite him?

... ok that sounded rude, must think of a way to improve that...

... i'm stumped :(

still a great story! xx
Kittie Darkhart chapter 4 . 9/6/2010
I see there is a bit of soul-searching in this chapter, and is certainly much-needed, too. Truly, I do like how Mina is reforming him, since Stayne really has no one, save for Mina's companionship. Perhaps being in service to the Red Queen did corrupt him over the years, since he seems so desperate to change.

I also noticed that he still has a bit of a stubborn streak. I am glad that Mina hasn't completely broken him! XD Not hungry. Ha!

It also appears that Mina is enjoying her time with Stayne, as well. Really, they do make a rather splendid pairing. It's certainly one of the most creative crossover pairings I've seen in a long time.
Kittie Darkhart chapter 3 . 9/6/2010
Oh, no! I daresay she's already gone and broke him! He's using plesantries with her? (Sighs.) Stayne, oh, Stayne, where is your knavery? I happen to like it. Well, except for that incident with Alice in the corridor at the Red Queen's Palace, and also that bit about terrorising Tarrant's clan. But still...love the eye patch! At least, Mina cannot take 'that' away from you!

Though all jesting aside, I do enjoy his and Mina's exchanges. I have to confess that I really liked how reflective Stayne is in this chapter, particularly his being a knave and 'A mere card figure'. A lovely, if not poignant, insight, that.

Also, too, I have to say, Kate, that you're really making me feel sorry for Stayne - something, in which, I wasn't prone to after seeing the film. Maybe my seeing Crispin Glover in 'Back to the Future' today - who was quite gallant in the last part of the film - changed my mind completely. And point of fact: Stayne is very attractive! :)

Anyway, I shall continue on with my thoughts in the next review!

Until then!

Kittie Darkhart chapter 2 . 8/30/2010
Mina's philosophy on how easy it is to be evil, compared to the difficulty in being good is an interesting concept. I have a feeling that Stayne will have to endure her notions of changing for the better before he's completely beaten down by the will to do such on his own. I mean, really, who can withstand the powerful, persuasive presence of Mrs. Wilhelmina Mina Harker? Stayne doesn't stand a chance.

Oh, and I also enjoyed Stayne's view concerning Mina's smaller stature, since his preference of liking bigger women contridicts the woman standing before him! That was a clever allusion to his attraction to Alice/Um in the film.

And I see that, by the end of this chapter, she already has him whipped. He's giving in, if only slightly. I wonder what the other inhabitants of Underland would think - namely, Tarrant, Alice, and the White Queen - if they were to know of this little exchange between Mina and Stayne. In a way, I hope they make an appearance, since I'd love to see their reactions!

Kittie Darkhart chapter 1 . 8/30/2010
Hullo, Kate,

I'm sorry that I couldn't get to this story sooner; I should have expected my weekend to be nothing less than crazy, since all the rest of my weekends are...(Sighs.) But now that I finally have a chance to sit down and read, I have to say that this past weekend is now, thankfully, at the back of my mind! :)

Truly, I have to say that I really enjoy the creativity behind this story, since I never would have considered a Mina/Stayne pairing myself. It's, really, very original, and is, actually, a nice break away from all of the Alice/Tarrant stories I've read of late. Not that I am growing tired of Alice/Tarrant, oh, certainly indeed not, but it is good to focus on other characters, now and again.

I also enjoy Mina and Stayne's exchange; I can already see chemistry between the two!

As for any advice, I believe Ranguvar27 is right on the use of quotation marks and description. Since this isn't a play, it is imperative to have quotations around spoken dialogue, because it will confuse readers without them. You may also want to consider having some sort of prologue, perhaps of how Mina found herself in the Outlands, since the opening jumps right into the story without any explanation. The story summary is very helpful; but again, you may want to reinforce what happens to Mina, by explaining why she ends up where she presently is. And truthfully, I'd also love to see how you describe Stayne, with that lovely, single blue eye of his! (Hint! Hint!)

But really, this is a very good opening chapter, since the dialogue reminds me of Lewis Carroll's whimsical style, which I love. I also enjoyed Mina's reference to Marie Antionette! However, according to history, she is really known for saying 'Let them eat cake' instead of tarts, unless you intended for Mina to mistake cake for the latter, since Stayne, being the Knave, is allegedly the one who stole the tarts. I'm not for sure if you were purposely going for that or not, but it is an interesting switch! :)

Anyway, I off to on to Chapter Two. I'll try to finish reading, if not tonight, then hopefully by tomorrow.

Until then!

Ranguvar27 chapter 1 . 8/30/2010
Your story is good. Mina and Stayne make a rather nice couple, and their bantering is a lot of fun to read.

Just a few criticisms-

Stayne's first name is spelled Ilosovic. There's no H.

You need to have a bit of description, not just endless dialogue. Set the scene. What does the jail look like? Does it smell bad? How does Stayne look? Is the jail cold, damp? How long has he been imprisoned?

How did Mina end up in the Outlands jail?

Also, dialogue always is accompanied by quotation marks. It's a Rule.

But all in all, a good story.