Reviews for A Habit of Intrigue
PlusSizeAngel chapter 1 . 8/29/2010
Sumptuous.
Kittie Darkhart chapter 1 . 11/13/2009
I have been meaning to review this story for quite some time now, and I greatly apologise for not doing so sooner. I fear that my studies have been quite demanding of what precious little time I once had to devote to something I actually enjoy reading. But now that I have a chance to sit down with the many stories I have long wanted to review…I can finally say that this is quite a savoury little piece of fiction! Indeed, I devoured every word of it! The humour and imagery were, most assuredly, two things that I took great pleasure in reading in this story, just as I loved the overall execution of its exposition and plot. It is not often that I can come across a story with just enough description and dialogue to render it into something I can actually see in my mind’s eye. ‘A Habit of Intrigue’ certainly exceeded all of my expectations, and then some! ;)

I especially loved how you portrayed Sylvia in this, with that sharp wit and clever tongue of hers! She can certainly both mystify and bewilder even the most sceptical of her critics—the Cardinal Pirelli, no exception in this! Her acquisition of a certain French ‘secretary’ was also quite a lovely addition to this little extension of the film’s ending. For indeed, I cannot help but wonder if, Jean-Françoise had lived, how would the Beast of Gévaudan’s story have been different? Honestly, I cannot help but be drawn to such a darkly enigmatic figure, as your description of him at the end was quite apt: treacherous, heretical, incestuous, deformed, insane, beautiful. I daresay you defined the entirety of his character in those six words alone—and quite poetically, too! Well done! Bravo!

But truly, though, I cannot say enough of this story, as it is certainly a rare thing to find anything devoted to ‘Le Pacte des Loups’. To be honest, I loved the film the first time I saw it—back in December 2002—as it remains one of my favourite films to this day. There is just something about the mystery surrounding the mythical Beast of Gévaudan, and the wonderful storyline the film and its cast and crew derived from it. But I am digressing.

Indeed, this is truly one of the best stories I have read in this particular archive. I am so glad that you wrote it, as I shall certainly be reading this again! ;)

Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful story!

All the best,

— Kittie
Doc M chapter 1 . 5/9/2007
litheshadow - The story is labelled as "Firbankian-Beardsleyesque". My use of language is a deliberate homage to Beardsley's 'Under the Hill' (1890s mock-Rococo) and Firbank's 'Concerning the Eccentricities of Cardinal Pirelli'. I had thought of writing more, but I thought it best to leave it unsaid: it would be a distinctly unsavoury sort of "romance", methinks!
litheshadow chapter 1 . 5/9/2007
Very nice indeed but somewhat... strained? The conversation seems like they are being very deliberately polite- and they are showing to each other that they are being very deliberately polite, which does get tedious after a while for the reader. But, apart from that, fabulous description- though too much dialogue. I shan't expect for the continuation of this, since the flare for a romance involving the two has long gone, I can see- but, all the same, nice start- I'd steal it from you and continue it if I were more passionate than I am.

Good day,

the Critic you all LOVE to HATE,

litheshadow.

To the GRAVE.

P.S. lovely word choice- but also very strenuous.
ghostwritten2 chapter 1 . 6/11/2006
A lovely, well-written piece about a movie I adore. I'd love to see more of this, too.
Myrria chapter 1 . 3/20/2006
the beginning was intriguing and well written... you shouldn't have given up...
babyb26 chapter 1 . 6/14/2003
Very good and I hope you will finish it.
ashes2342 chapter 1 . 4/24/2003
I really like the fanfic and hope you will finish it.
Juliss the Severed Snake chapter 1 . 4/9/2003
Hi,

Nice story, pity you haven't finished it. Just one remark - i was pretty sure that Ignacius Loiola (or whatever his name is spelled) founded Holy Inquisition along with Jesuit order.
MadeMoiselle de France chapter 1 . 11/20/2002
Hey Doc M!

Gee, I LOVE Brotherhood of the Wolf and so I LOVE your fanfic! It's quite cool! Go on with writing Brotherhood of the Wolf-fanfics and by the way..., also read my Brotherhood of the Wolf-fanfic and review it, that would be really nice because it's my first fanfic ever...! *LoL* It's called "The History od Gévaudan Part one", I hope you like it!

Greetings,

MadeMoiselle de France
Shiromori chapter 1 . 10/29/2002
I'm surprised that you don't have more reviews for this story. It's very well written. I like all the little details you've thrown in - the paintings of the Saints in Sylvia's office, the ivory snuff box, etc. It makes the whole piece more... I don't know... believable, I guess, is the word. It certainly adds depth to the characters and the setting.

"Throw a Jesuit from the dome of St. Peters and he'll land on his feet." I like that. It's probably true, too. _

I would love to see this story develop into something. It's off to an amazing start.