Reviews for Dark God
DarkPhoenix101 chapter 1 . 9/17/2016
I will always think of Ursula LeGuin as the woman who COULD have been the greatest fantasy writer of modern times, but threw it all away for petty ideological reasons.

That's not to say the issue of gender in Earthsea wasn't worthy of examination. But I hated the way she did it, by basically undermining and deconstructing everything in the first three books. In particular the understanding of death and the nature of the Dry Land in The Other Wind utterly contradicts The Farthest Shore, especially that final confrontation with Cob at the Dry River. Which is tragic, as that was the most powerful scene in the original trilogy and I confess that I can no longer read it without being angry at the way later Earthsea books would cheapen it.

I'm sorry. Your story is excellently written and cleverly constructed and you deserve praise for that. But for me it's too much of a reminder of how LeGuin's later obsession with gender politics ruined the original trilogy.
jamelia116 chapter 1 . 8/24/2013
Well, one person has read your story. It's a very good one, and, chillingly, it might have actually been this way. Thanks for writing it up (since LeGuin never did).
Runt Thunderbelch chapter 1 . 2/18/2011
Wonderful story. The line: "It was also a lie, but it was his lie, and he clung to it to save himself from falling" is fantastic.

I admire your insight into the darker side of human psychology.
jodm chapter 1 . 1/1/2011
A powerful story of love turned inward to hate and blindness-probably self-hate on Halkel's part. His guilt at his actions-or more, lack of action, has really blinded him. You have done a wonderful job describing how the inability to deal with truth and dark emotions can damage a soul.

I'm definitely going to look for more of your stories! Earthsea has been one of my favorites, and Ursula LeGuin one of my favorite authors, for many years.