Reviews for Beneath the Darkest Shadows
Mornen chapter 1 . 8/21/2011
Ah, yes, it is 11:13 in the evening, and I out of a sudden strange and inexplicable urge have decided upon the rash act of looking up the oldest Silmarillion stories on this site and reviewing the ones that I find interesting. This is one of them, and this is the review. (that was a rather futile attempt at humor)
Queen Elbereth chapter 1 . 9/24/2004
*cries, bawls, sobs...* What must I say? I can tell you are a poet by the descriptive way in which you write this fic. It's almost a poem itself, if you catch my drift. I too, have always wondered what Fingolfin was thinking when he mounted his horse for what was to be the last time. And I always wanted to know what Fingon did when he found out...in this case, when he found the note. I love the way you make this sound so Elvish, as if Fingolfin himself was showing you what happened. This has to be one of the best Fingolfin stories out there, with the exception of the one taken directly from the Silmarillion. :) Thanks!
fallen star chapter 1 . 7/5/2003
wow, i love it,very sad though, please write more
Furius chapter 1 . 12/30/2002
How did I even miss this?

Wonderful story, and I commend you on your grasp of Fingolfin's character, very wise indeed, and forms a delightful contrast to his fey brother

Desperate perhaps, but very decided, and he sounds like he know what he's doing.

Great descriptions, you have a way with words, very poetic, and great imagery..
Sunsong chapter 1 . 11/13/2002
I wish I could write half as well as you do.
Mouse chapter 1 . 10/13/2002
Ahh! :D

You have an impressive grasp of Fingolfin's character. This wasn't madness or suicide- it was his last hope, his last chance to bring hope again to his people. The letter to Fingon was very touching.

But I have to disagree with him- in no way that I can see did he ever fail as a king.

Good stuff!
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 6/12/2002
Excellent.

It is a very hard decision to understand - it seems like suicide, like madness. The way you write it, Fingolfin is in despair, and also seeking atonement which he thinks he can never find except through death, and not even there. What a tragic, powerful character.
Staggering Wood-Elf chapter 1 . 6/4/2002
I'm so amazed this hasn't had more reviews... perhaps there aren't any Fingolfin fans out there... Well I've always preferred him to his big brother anyway.

That was... wow. The descriptions are wonderful, and the letter at the end- heart-breaking. Please write more fanfictions if you can do them this well!
Ithilwen of Himring chapter 1 . 4/23/2002
I can't imagine why this hasn't recieved more reviews, because it's very well done. A nice portrayal of Fingolfin's grief after Dagor Bragollach. Please write more - we NEED more good Silmarillion fics here!
Arwen Imladviel chapter 1 . 4/5/2002
W-O-W! Words like silver threads in Vaire's weawing. You are a true poet, I can see, before even having read your poems. I wish I could write like you. I love the Silmarillion too, and write about it 'in my measure and in my derivative mode'. Write more, do! Please! More precious jewels such as this.
JonnyT chapter 1 . 3/1/2002
Very well done interpretation of this event! I'm sure that many have there own thoughts as to what was going through Fingolfin's head at this time, but this is as good as any. Bravo!