Reviews for The Standard Bearer
silmelinde chapter 14 . 8/23/2014
I was afraid to click on this story for a long time because anything war related tends to wring my heart out. You've done a good job with this setting. It's not too angst filled, but it does leave me deeply saddened.

I also like your OC. While she has heroic skills, what makes her attractive is loyalty. You've emphasized not fighting skills, but human skills and that's what identifies her non-Mary Sure.

My favourite part is your idea, I'm surprised there aren't more variations on this theme. I find your reasons for introducing the heroine into the story very much realistic. You've managed to mix legendary aspect into the story like it belongs there with the OC. I wish there was a bit more development in her outlook of the world and a bit more depth from Elrond (though it could be tricky because the story is from Gil's point of view). Otherwise, this is a very well written story.
tadah2 chapter 1 . 2/23/2014
This was pretty awesome. You are super talented and I hope that you are doing really really well. (I read the whole thing on the Magic Tortoise site you linked to earlier.) I ****LOVED**** the ending. It was awesome.

You rock.
Leanna Weisdorn chapter 1 . 1/26/2014
It has been ages since you wrote this, but thank you- it is great!
Katherine Sparrow chapter 28 . 1/4/2014
Loved it. Incredibly written and very moving...
Erian Erilar chapter 28 . 1/12/2012
...

That story is the most 'complete' one I have ever read. I mean the characters, storyline etc. And opposite to most fanfics- gramaticly correct.

My God, with THAT story You reduced me to some sappy romantic! And, hell, I thank You.

I love this story. LOVE. And I do not use that word often.

Keep on writing.

Thank You once more.
shine lots chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
I love your poem and the rhyming
Raider-K chapter 25 . 6/30/2011
That chapter was BRILLIANT. I loved the way you captured the battle and kept the style/diction so beautifully dark . Well done!
lilandriel chapter 28 . 3/22/2006
OMG! just found this story! it is totally fantastic!

*weeps*

what an incredible gift you have! and a wonderfully happy ending! thank-you! those two need some happiness

i absolutley adore this story:)

lilly x

ps- sadly, i have to admit, u intrigued me with you adaptation with the song 'Gloomy Winter's now Awa'', and i had to go find it. it's a lovely piece, and your version fits it beautifully :)
Flesca chapter 18 . 2/3/2005
Your. Story. Is. AMAZING. OMG, I can't even begin to describe the ways you made me cry, laugh, and say "Aw..." This is without doubt the BEST pre-Fellowship story I've ever read in my life. I've never really liked Elrond - in fact, I kinda thought he was a jerk for being so hard on Aragorn loving Arwen - but this story made me LOVE him; he's now my absolute favourite character in LOTR. You're incredible! I'd give anything to write half as well as you! *hugs* Thank you SOO much for sharing this wonderful, tear-jerking, heartwarming story with us... if you made this into a book, I would SO buy it! Good job! Keep up the great work! :)
Ellen chapter 28 . 8/29/2004
Stunning, bloody stunning.

Thank you for your beautiful and evocative writing. I've just cried my way through a rainy Sunday afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed it. You rendered characters, both old and new, beautifully and brought life to some of the drier scenes from The Silmarillion.

I found out about this story because someone posted the Magic Tortoise link, under the subject "recommended reading", on one of the Yahoo LOTR groups.

Hope you don't mind, but I've copied and pasted so I can enjoy again when I wish.

Well done!

PS: Magic is very, very cute!
Star4 chapter 28 . 8/23/2004
*wipes away tear* that story gets me crying everytime I read it. You are a wonderful writer!
Aromene chapter 28 . 3/18/2004
What drew you to read the story in the first place?
I have to admit to feeling shameful. I actually read this story more than a year ago, but decided that it was high time I read it again. And in doing so, I realized I'd never reviewed it the first time I read it. Forgive me for that, for it certianly deserves a review!
What did you think of the original characters. Like/not like? Why?
As someone else mentioned in another review, to wage a war you need a lot of people. But I think all of your OCs have done well by canon, and they all came across as believable. I especially love Galaria, who seemed just the perfect elf. But hands down, Gil was the best! Beautifully represented on your part, I thought. I adored her.
What about my portrayal of existing characters – believable?
Oh very much so. Especially your Elrond! I thought you stayed completely true to canon (at least where you could; some of these characters Tolkien never wrote much about). And not just the elves, I thought your portrayal of the men was well done. Isildur came across just as I pictured him...Which made him as easy to find annoying as the movie Isildur. And I adored Gil-galad! Though that has more to do with him being my favourite character.
Did you read the whole story? If not where did you stop? Why?
As I said, I read this before, more than once. I couldn't stop once I'd started either! The story dragged me in and wouldn't let me go!
Did you skip over any parts? Which?
Read them all! Every last scene!
What was your favourite/least favourite scene/chapter? Why?
Oh, definately no least favourites. Most of the story is my favourite, but I loved the epilogue, and must have read the chapter "Stay with me" more times than anything else.
Did you see where the story was going or were you surprised?
I knew of course the end of the Last Alliance, and that Elrond was not going to end up with Gil, Celebrian and children being in his future. And though I realized the foreshadowing, I must say, the last few chapters caught me off guard, which is probably what made them so heart-wrenching! And I didn't see the epilogue coming, so I was certianly hoping for a happy ending.
What would you have changed?
Nothing. Honestly, absolutely nothing.
What aspect of the story did you like most/least?
This is perhaps going to sound wrong, but I think the I liked the romance scenes the best. They were done so well, that the whole war just seemed to up an vanish when Gil and Elrond were together.
How many hankies did you need?
Too many. I don't usually cry reading stories, or watching movies, but this is the first fanfic I ever cried when reading. And it's still one of the few.
Beautiful, amazing writing. I get so disenchanted with sometimes, and then I stumble across stories like this, and they remind me that there are people out there who are exceedingly talented. And you are definately one of them.
~Amy
Grav chapter 28 . 3/17/2004
What drew you to read the story in the first place?
I have a good friend who, when I was in a crisis of faith about what was being posted on , said “Oh, you have to read ‘The Standard Bearer’.
AngryTolkienPurist chapter 28 . 11/25/2003
Ai Elbereth! This is the first fic that has ever made me teary eyed. You should really submit this to henneth-annun ;) If it's not already there, that is. Thanks for the wonderful experience and I hope you continue writing. I love the little twist. I was wondering why angst wasn't part of the description :D
Celebrian chapter 29 . 7/10/2003
i think that you should make a sequal to this story and fallow your 'dream'. It seems like a pretty good ending. i hope you do write it i would very much enjoy reading it . if you do write the sequal to this story you will always have my hugs of support and luck.