Reviews for Bird Within a Cage
Chrysa Lite chapter 1 . 9/9/2010
Like many before me have said, this was a haunting piece. From beginning to end, you wove the threads of the tale together so beautifully that I felt what Kai felt for Claire, even though she is but a mechanical doll. I was especially struck by the part when you say that she was "nothing more than a machine with insides of copper and brass and gears that would only begin to turn by tightening the wind found in the small of her back. Even so, the young gentleman found her to be an exceptional creation." Very lovely indeed. Nothing less than I would have expected from you, sugarapplesweet! :)
weirdogirl chapter 1 . 9/4/2010
Wow, this is written so wonderfully. It's kind of...haunty *shivers* but it's also pretty sweet that Kai likes Claire even if she's a mechanical doll, love reaches all kinds of situations :3

Interesting! Is there a continuation to this? If there is, please update soon! Your writing is marvelous! _
SweetieLove chapter 1 . 9/3/2010
Somehow, this is a piece both inspiring yet haunting.

From the excerpt, the plot, the last lines, the ending, it seemed oh so flawless. Everything went smoothly and perfectly and you made how realistic how Kai felt for the mechanical Claire.

Great oneshot. :)
MarianFontz chapter 1 . 9/3/2010
This is such a perfect piece! Even though Claire was a machine, you made her realistic. Human.

I'm sorry, I seemed to be lost for words right now after reading your story. It just kept me so fixated, word per word.

Good luck with the contest!
Winter Oak chapter 1 . 9/3/2010
Wow, that was an unexpected take on the theme. The excerpt at the top was an interesting one. More often than not, people hear that love at first sight is absurd for various reasons... one being that one did not know the personality of the person based on appearances alone. So it was thought provoking to see Kai develop feelings for the mechanical doll... and in such a realistic manner too.

Great story! :)
airtrafficstreams chapter 1 . 9/3/2010
What an interesting writing piece...It was haunting, in a way. But very beautiful to read, at the same time. From reading your other work, I know that you've definitely got an imagination to work with, which is evident after reading this. I got the shivers while reading about her dancing and singing, and how you described Kai's reactions. How you are able to envoke such emotion into your writing is impressive. The quote you included at the top fit perfectly with the rest of the story as well, adding to the melancholic, yet romantic and evocative feeling that I got from reading it. I would almost expect to read this to be in a somewhat twisted little children's story book. Nonetheless, you should feel proud of this fic. Very nice, very nice.