Reviews for How Do You Talk to an Angel?
Guest chapter 3 . 6/8/2015
More chapters if possible? One of the best fics. I've read in a while now! Some really good ideas used here, albeit with the use of some... odd grammar choices here and there, to say the least.
connor1504 chapter 3 . 3/11/2014
This is a really interesting concept and I hope to see it continued soon
Kaizer617 chapter 1 . 9/8/2013
I like this story! I hope you update it soon!
Grey Muji chapter 3 . 5/26/2013
This is very good! Well researched and thought provoking. Keeping the feel of the origional and showing the sides of the characters that often overlooked! Definitely looking out for the next chapter.
NoNameAvailable Bis chapter 3 . 5/25/2012
Well, I feel like I'm coming a little after the battle, but... Those three chapters are great, and even though this fic was not updated since last year... Well, you know the saying, hope is always the last thing to die.

It's quite rare to find a story that mixes flawless english (as far as I can tell), great characterization (I share your opinion about RiAO) and interesting deviations from the canon. I'm quite interested with the concept of Angels as aliens space travellers in which humanity may run into. With luck, we'll see where it leads.

So... 'Til next time ?
Darkangel665 chapter 3 . 5/21/2012
So glad that you updated this fic. it is really good. Right now I am listening to 'cello suite N0.1 in G Major by Bach' It's pretty good if you like classical. Please continue this fic it is really good I really like the concept. Are you going to introduce the Eva's? Is Auska going to be there. Also love the fact that they were upfront with Rei's origins before he really got to know her.
Dragonjek chapter 3 . 11/10/2011
I really like this story, and I hope you keep writing for it. It looks very interesting, and I would like to see more.

I do have a small concern, though-how you were dropping the word 'mecha' about (and I freely admit this is nitpicking, and possibly entirely unwanted, but it was something that felt really, really 'off' to me about an otherwise great story).

For one, it didn't really feel like it fit in; they aren't mentioned before at all, and why would they know that LCL worked to control mecha? That's not exactly something you just try out when you come across a miraculous life-fluid. You just threw them in as an example of what the LCL could do, and then as a weapon against the Angels (the proper of ideas of what an Angel was, though, Shinji seemed to grasp a bit too quickly), and it felt a bit forced.

The Evangelions (if you are going to be using them here) weren't really machines; they were organic, with machinery added onto them to let humans use and control them, so it doesn't really relate to mecha (or at least, non-biological mecha) at all. If you aren't using the Evas, or are making them wholly machines, then it makes sense... but still, mechas specifically is a bit unbelievable.

Just saying machines would work... although, if it does related directly to just machines, that would also bring in a wealth of neatness about possibly synching up with computers... surfing the web with your mind...

Also, Ritsuko's a scientist, and 'mecha' just sounds very... unscientific.

Again, I apologize if this annoys you, and I apologize in advance for trying to give you advice for what to do... I may be only an average author, but I'm an above-average reader, which I hope counts for something in giving advice (again, sorry if this is unwanted).

Shinji had trouble accepting Rei's powers when he saw them, which was good. And he seemed to keep his crush, which is also good. However... he did, overall, seem to cope with everything too easily. I'm not saying he should just disbelieve anything (that can be annoying to read about, and I don't think fun to write about), but I think it would work well if you gave him difficulties understanding the scope of the threat, or of what Rei is. Or perhaps be frightened of it when it really hits him what she is (I'm not saying he should stop liking her, or avoid her... but he just found out the person he had a crush on wasn't human, had no emotions, and is capable of untold destructive power. That's not something you can just shrug off and ignore).

Also, what he imagines the Angels to be should probably be less than they actually are. Shinji here is smart, but you don't seem to have him as a crazy-genius; he was just told a bit about them, so likely doesn't really have an accurate picture of what they are.

I do wonder... you didn't say anything about Angels or Adam being on Earth, so I'm guessing that their mention of running into Angels while they are looking around in space is what is going to happen (or they don't know about Adam? Just didn't mention it to Shinji? They are actually going to attack them, on Earth, from space?)? But Angels are going to show up... is Shinji still able to pilot Eva? After all, the reason he could in the anime is that Yui's soul was imbedded into Unit 01. They still haven't created AT Field projectors yet, from what you said, but Eva is capable of making it from the pilot, so that would work, but I don't see how that might work if you don't have the Evangelions. If the Eva are still here, is Shinji still a pilot candidate?

Also... the only lucky few of mankind are going to go up in space. Why are super-soldiers necessary? Are normal soldiers not enough? Eva (if you are going to have Evangelions) don't require AT Field-wielding half-humans to be effective, and a human-sized person wielding an AT Field isn't much of a threat to an Angel, so it doesn't look like you'd need super-soldiers for that purpose. Is Seele intending to rule over these, using Ayanami&clones as their soldiers?

I realize that you are trying to help get Shinji and Gendo closer together, but I suggest you don't do it too quickly; friction, difficulties, and pain are, after all, what keep stories interesting. Make things go too well too smoothly, and readers can lose interest.

Another thing; Shinji had a *lot* of information shoved at him at once-much of which readers wouldn't even know unless they (like us) took the time to look it up ('cause it certainly isn't mentioned anywhere in the anime). Sure, some of it was important for him to know for helping Rei, but there is a lot of secrecy involved there, and secret things that Shinji really had no business knowing about. He also never went through any process to be trusted; his own father barely interacts with him, so even Gendo couldn't really said to know whether Shinji was trustworthy to keep those secrets or not. It felt a bit rushed; if I could suggest, perhaps you could put some pressure on him (ex, Section 2) or explain a reason why he was told so much classified information?

And this one is less of a critique than the others, but you might want to re-upload the first chapter, and put a mention in the Foreword that Evas, AT-Fields, Angels, and whatnot are going to show up later (maybe mention the third chapter directly, so the reader know it comes up soon). I very nearly turned away a few paragraphs in, because it looked like you were going to be writing a high school fic or a non-Eva/Angel story. It was only because this fic was on the Fanfic Recommendations on TvTropes that I stuck with it. Mentioning that early might keep some readers in.

Again, sorry to give all this advice, but I thought it might be helpful. At least you know I liked it enough to pay attention, right? And on the (rather significant) chance me giving you all this unneeded, unnecessary advice pissed you off... then maybe that will motivate you to say "screw this guy, I can write an awesome story without his help!" and put out another chapter to prove me wrong and deride my unwanted advice at the end of the chapter.

Deride away. Just so long as you WRITE MORE! MORE, MORE!
Bloodhawk 248 chapter 3 . 8/12/2011
There's not a lot to say, except that I agree with the sentiments expressed by earlier readers. The story's quality is something that most new fics don't tend to have; most of the good fics are usually written by established writers who the fandom leans on to provide. Also, it's been a while since I read a really good Shinji x Rei story (sadly enough a lot of good ones have been left unfinished). Your premise seems original too, and that's always good.

Your descriptions of combat are excellent and well done, as well as your descriptions in general. I do enjoy the way you're building up Shinji and Rei's relationship; not much to look at now, but there are hints of things to come, and I do so enjoy Shinji/Rei interaction. Your defusing of the Oedipal complex is actually pretty well-done; I recognize bits of Life Goes On in there, but you do seem to have built on that with bits of your own. You also carry out the air of psuedo-science well enough that it doesn't seem fabricated or thrown-in. I thought Ritsuko seemed to catch on to him pretty quickly, but since she did have a talk with Gendo, I suppose it's good enough. It's great that Gendo is not such a bastard as in the original (AUs do wonders), and there's an official reason Shinji needs to interact with Rei that'll give them an excuse to bond.

Great stuff. I'll be watching, though the four-month update lag seems ominous...XD. Keep up the great work.
VERY VERY BAD WRITER chapter 3 . 6/29/2011
This story has been great so far! I'm a sucker for ShinjixRei, but most fanfics don't do such a good job of carrying it out. However, I can tell this story has a ton of potential.

I'm guessing that once Rei opens up enough in the future chapters, she'll realize that she wants love herself (although she probably wouldn't understand exactly what it is), and turns to Shinji for it since she would know him well enough by that point.

Subscribed! I'm looking forward to the next chapter!
Specter Von Baren chapter 3 . 5/15/2011
HahahahahaHAHAHAHAHA1 This is awesome! Haha! I loved all the little details thrown in here and there like the 'Ayanami Raising Project' and other things. I can also see the foreshadowing and hints of what you plan to do with the story in the future here and there too. I must say that it's always great to see an author that's willing to be creative with these things. It was also really nice to see the fics you drew inspiration from were some of my favorite especially 'Life Goes On'.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the next chapter!

saiyan prince1 chapter 3 . 5/1/2011
i really like how this fic is going. keep up the great work and i shall continue to read.
animefan29 chapter 3 . 4/28/2011
And now things start coming together.

Good chapter.
SmoothKaz chapter 1 . 4/28/2011
Great work so far! I cannot wait for the next chapter.
Asukaforever92 chapter 3 . 4/28/2011
Good chapter man. I like where this is going (though after watching the Rebuild 2.22 I would feel safer with the Angels then Mari in an Eva). However I am puzzled by why you included the scene with Gendo saying Rei consisted of Yui's DNA and Shinji feeling Oedipedial when gave this explantation of why that's impossible.
Volmont chapter 2 . 4/19/2011
I'm feeling like this story is going to be excellent(to me anyway), and that you're only warming up to a fic you've been planning for awhile makes it seem more exciting.

Well written(I did not see any spelling/grammar errors, kudos for that), interesting(your chemical 'Armisite' got me thinking/applying it to our current world, making me fairly amused), and decently emotional(my heart went out to Shinji at his self-imposed rejection, glad to see you having Gendo take an interest in him) are just a few aspects that are popping out at me right now. It being Shinji/Rei doesn't hurt(in my opinion) either. :)

Definitely keeping an eye on this, and will be checking out your other two posted fics as well.

Happy writing!