Reviews for A Summer Tryst
nipponophile chapter 1 . 6/17/2018
Beautiful...and achingly sad in the final paragraph.
dnil chapter 1 . 2/16/2017
I love this though it is incredibly sad.
BlueSaffire chapter 1 . 5/21/2016
This left me gasping for breath and heartbroken. So, so beautiful and so, so sad. Perfectly written.
compa16 chapter 1 . 8/9/2013
So sad
Sailor Epyon chapter 1 . 7/27/2013
Beautifully written.
DearestAmy chapter 1 . 5/28/2011
Beautiful, but very, very sad. My heart aches for uncas, but I also can imagine how they had three good years together filled with love and happiness. Although this imagination makes me still feel

sad for him, i believe he finds comfort in their daughter.

Your writing creates a bittersweet mood which reminds me of your great story "Metamorphosis".
damninspiration22 chapter 1 . 2/26/2011
how? how could you possibly kill alice? i was oh so happy thinkig: "Hey! finally! a story about Uncas and Alice with a perfectly happy tone!" argh... his is so sad, i'm gonna have to go to bed now, sad. Or no, i'll just pretend she's still alive
magicknickers chapter 1 . 2/11/2011
Oh, my. I really wasn't expecting that sadness until the dancing bit. And then something seemed kind of off, until, well, the end. This was very pretty-I love your descriptions-and sweet and sad.
daffodil710 chapter 1 . 10/1/2010
Nice, but very sad. :( poor poor Uncas, he really is sometimes emotionally distant but that is his character and you have captured. Good job.

LOVE, Daffodil
GrayHuntress chapter 1 . 9/28/2010
Extremely powerful. I'll have to go read your other stories.
Jacobleah chapter 1 . 9/22/2010
Beautiful but so achingly sad.
LightIsPrecious chapter 1 . 9/21/2010
I don't think there is anything more I can say other than well done. Words don't do justice to this piece of art you shared with us. I had a feeling Alice was dead when I first started reading, and so while it didn't have the surprise for me, I was able to read it with a very bittersweet feeling. Which perhaps is even better.

My favorite part was your description of how Alice spoke so little but understood all the feelings he found so hard to put into words. I love that.

Anyway, this was so short and so perfect and beautiful (much like the love between Alice and Uncas). Thank you for sharing!

-LightIsPrecious
lottie14b chapter 1 . 9/21/2010
What an exquisitely wonderful and heart wrenching story.
assiage chapter 1 . 9/10/2010
I have to say, your writing style is absolutely brilliant. There is a certain haunting quality you have that makes me re-read certain lines and paragraphs. This oneshot was no different.

I had no idea Alice had died until the little girl showed up; the realist in me appreciates the fact that you are always aware that life back then was no guarantee. "You will always be young." That line just killed me. It is difficult for me to read the truly sad stories of A/U because I fell in love with their tragic romance when I was only a child, and always want to picture them alive and happy. At least they have a daughter... I could feel Uncas's sadness so strongly, I especially loved what you did to Chingachgook. Nathaniel was spot-on. So, story was a little too sad for me but I love how well-written it is and how beautiful! You have a gift. TC- stef
MargotTenser chapter 1 . 9/8/2010
This was such a beautiful, evocative piece. And the "surprise" was perfect - it was unexpected but didn't feel at all like a cheat.

I like that you balance Uncas's grief with his pleasure in his growing daughter's company - it really showed the beautiful/horrible fact that life continues even after the loved one is gone (and starts to fade away from our memories). I loved Alice's comment about her aging - he's aging away from her and it's sad.

On a purely practical level, it was clever to point out how ephemeral life was back then. Even if Alice and Uncas survived, managed to find a way to live together, and built some happiness, life back then was chancy - there were still a thousand things that could strike you down (was it diphtheria? I wondered, since Alice lost her voice).