Reviews for Guarding the Heedless Folk
An Author's Pen chapter 4 . 7/24/2011
You have an interesting OC, the suspicion of the bree folk is well done, the turmoil of the young ranger, Aragorn and healing of course. Great story!

one nitpick, I believe the rangers called Aragorn their chief not their lord.
ASF13957 chapter 4 . 4/30/2011
Great story! You managed to pull off an OC centric tale while still staying very much true to the original tone of the books. I like that you set this in and around Bree, too; not many fics are set in that area, and I've always found it interesting. Brilliant work, anyway!
Vamp.Michelle chapter 4 . 2/7/2011
A very good story! I'm not quite sure why I'm only discovering it now, but it's always nice to find something worthwhile to read:)

I really liked your OC - he's going into that tale with the best of intentions. He's taking the "don't drink" and "don't gamble" to hard, but he still gets in trouble. Well, I guess that's life for you! If there wasn't trouble around, they wouldn't need any rangers in Bree, would they?

I also liked then even when you introduced Aragorn and Halbarad, you didn't let them steal the story away from Brandir. They saved the day (there's strength in numbers after all), but it still stays Brandir's story. I very much liked that!
Darkover chapter 4 . 12/19/2010
This was quite an original idea-a coming-of-age story set in Middle Earth! I very much enjoyed reading it. Poor Brandir is too hard on himself. Bottom line, everyone got rescued, he fought well and did not disgrace himself. I would say he did well. I especially liked the part where Tom wakes up and addresses Aragorn as "my lord." The irony implicit in the blacksmith's telling Tom that Aragorn was "just Strider the Ranger," is a thing of beauty. Thanks for writing and posting this. Sincerely, Darkover
acacia59601 chapter 4 . 9/8/2010
Great story! I love the suspense and terror! Very well done!
cairistiona7 chapter 4 . 9/7/2010
What a chilling tale! But delightful at the same time. You've portrayed the Dunedain well here, and I love Brandir and his bravery and uncertainty and humility... just what you might expect a young Ranger to be. The relationship between Rangers and Breelanders is perfect, and I loved Aragorn's wry reaction to the various reactions to Tom's calling him "Lord". "Just Strider the Ranger" is indeed what Aragorn wants to be known as at this point, but even he can't completely keep his nobility hidden.

Really a well done tale... it made my day to have found it!
demeter d chapter 4 . 9/5/2010
That is a nice touch, indeed. Aragorn puts a hand on the injured man's brow and calls him back. Then when he awakes in the brightening sun, he greets Aragorn as "lord"! Only unlike Faramir, he has no idea why. Aragorn quickly deflected that with a remark about hia head injury. The other remark about him not looking like a nobleman's son reminded me of what Aragorn said to Sam about himself having "rather a rascally look". Very nice! Aragorn tells him to recover and think about things. I wonder how many years this was before Tom's brother Bob and his Hobbit friend Nob help to provision Strider and a party of Hobbits as they set out into danger? And I wonder if Brandir becomes one of two dozen gray-cloaked Dunadan who will follow Halbarad to Rohan and a date with destiny? I wonder!
demeter d chapter 3 . 9/5/2010
Yeah! Halbarad to the rescue! And it seems he is travelling with their Chieftain.

"Cold be hand and heart and bone"... Oh, yes, that chilling little rhyme from Frodo and company's encounter with Barrow wights. Your description of poor Brandir's struggles was very vivid. I felt like I was right there watching! I especially liked when he slid off of the horse to take the reins for the others. He has done this before, I can tell! and wow, blade to his throat, what a close call!
demeter d chapter 2 . 9/5/2010
Oh, my again! Possessed by a Barrow Wight! You give us good clues, the poor man muttering "Dunadan" and speaking in Sindarin. I like the details which contribute to atmosphere, to mood. You portray the Breelanders well. The men and Hobbits work together well, as friends. They perhaps do not trust poor Brandir, but at least they seem to respect him for being willing to help. But now how is he going to get away from the well, what would you call that one, a zombie?
demeter d chapter 1 . 9/5/2010
Oh, my, what an exciting beginning! I enjoyed the conversation between the old Ranger and Brandir. "Perhaps it would be better if you did not talk to them at all". THAT reminded me very much of the conversation between Sir Ian's Gandalf and

Billy Boyd's Pippin as they prepared to meet Denethor for the first time. For me that is a foreshadowing. Perhaps, like Pippin, this young one will prove to be more than anyone would

have expected?