Reviews for If Only
Runsoirse chapter 1 . 3/5/2012
I did enjoy it! I loved all the lovely descriptions; I think my favourite is "soft like sun-softened toffee." I also love how you've written Ginny here; very believable as an eleven-year-old. The way you show the power of the diary is subtle yet also very powerful - even from the first lines, we can feel the pull it has on Ginny.

I guess if I were to change anything, I would have wanted to see a bit more of what Ginny actually wrote in the diary, a sort of dialogue between her an Riddle. But that may have detracted from the overall beauty of the fic.

Excellent writing. _
gryffinsdoor chapter 1 . 10/17/2011
Very nicely done snapshot. One tiny thing you may want to fix - Ginny had just turned eleven, not twelve.
lightblue-Nymphadora chapter 1 . 8/31/2011
I love it! I think how the Riddle/Ginny situation started is a great idea. It's a good snapshot fic. Thanks for sharing!
Esther Huffleclaw chapter 1 . 4/4/2011
I like this a lot. Ginny is one of the most interesting characters in the books, and I love fill-in background pieces. And yes, if only she had known.
verity candor chapter 1 . 2/7/2011
Oooh - I like this a lot. You do a great job showing how desperate Ginny must have been for a friend, and how easy it was for Tom to get a hold of her. It's a little sad that she felt so isolated when she had so many of her brothers around, but you make it very believable, too. I like the use of "compelled to write something" too - It adds an angle I never thought about.

Other than that, some of the description: "soft like sun-softened toffee" and "the glimmer in her eyes would charm any wizard" was very nice too. Great job!
Rameelia chapter 1 . 2/6/2011
I've always wondered what it had to be like for Ginny to write in that diary. It's almost a sad thought she needed this 'friend,' seeing that she was surrounded by family members, all of whom were actually in the same House.

The ending seemed a bit abrupt, unexpected. I mean, there was this slow build-up, the descriptions and all, and then - bang! - she's pouring her heart out. But, on the other hand, I think you have managed to some extent to convey that sense of loneliness Ginny must have felt, which drove her to confide in Riddle, and then the exhilaration of having found someone to talk to, even if it was only a diary.

Nice little story. I would've liked to see a more gradual development of the relationship between Ginny and Riddle, but for a one-shot/a single scene I guess this works just fine. :)
IronSpockMaster chapter 1 . 2/4/2011
I really like this.

I love the idea that she felt 'compelled' to write in it. That it wasn't really even a conscious decision on her part.

'The name rolled from the tip of her tongue, soft like sun-softened toffee.' I also love this line. It's a wonderful description of a name, of the way a name is said.

My only issue is that nearer the end, the pace seems to speed up, and it doesn't seem to flow as well.

'"Hello, Ginny Weasley. My name is Tom Riddle." At first she was startled, but she chose to write more, pouring her heart into her every word. If only she had known then what that diary truly was, what effect it would have on her, and the ones she loved. But Tom was her friend – he would listen. She could tell him everything; he was a book and could not betray her.'

This whole section seemed a bit rushed.

The ending sentence, though, was wonderful. I love how short it is, and yet it sums up everything. And the way it sits there on its own on a line, it just looks right.
FirstYear chapter 1 . 1/3/2011
Some very nice little phrases in here..."like sun-softened taffy" ... is wonderful... and "her eyes would charm any wizard in few short years" make this rather sensual in tone, but so innocent in and by its self. Very good for a piece so very short. Which by the way is the only thing that is irksome, too short to more than set up the story to come.
respitechristopher chapter 1 . 9/6/2010
Dark and sweet, much like the original. You keep the whole "innocence betrayed" idea of CoS and turn it into background music, which is awesome. Loved this little piece.
Rita Arabella Black chapter 1 . 9/6/2010