Reviews for The Man of the Convention
Marzipan chapter 3 . 10/5/2013
This was inspiring! I drank up every word!
QueenCosette chapter 3 . 5/16/2013
THIS IS EVERYTHING THAT I EVER WANTED OH MY GOD PERFECTION INCARNATE YESYESYES. I always loved G- so much and him teaching little Enjolras about the French Revolution yes! And giving him the Declaration and teaching him Rousseau and saying "Citoyen" and my god it is perfect. Thank you so much for this you have no idea how happy I became when I recognised G- thankyouthankyouthankyou so much
Shahzadi chapter 3 . 2/17/2013
wow i just started reading the book and was looking for some G. fanfiction and this was absolutely marvelous

bb!Enjolras is amazing, i love the way you write G. and thank you so much for writing this for us
ColonelDespard chapter 3 . 10/3/2010
Wonderful conclusion...a child's desperate rage and frustration at things not working out as they should, and some essential questions reduced to the terms understood by a child, even if they're the ones students of the Revolution still grapple with. And Enjolras himself, still awkward, wild and fierce...intensly focused on the Right.
frustratedstudent chapter 3 . 10/2/2010
Oh gosh. That last conversation there was beautiful. I like how the old Republican somehow sees young Enjolras for what he *could* be. It's heartening and heartbreaking to read this, especially knowing what happens to Enjolras by the time he gets to be 26...
hollybridgetpeppermint chapter 2 . 9/19/2010
Awww...I've gotta say, your Enjolras is so cute and little-boy, and at the same time, ENJOLRAS! So great job! (As usual... :D)

Can't wait for more! Gosh, this is helping ME to understand the Revolution better...! :D

Mlle Patria chapter 2 . 9/19/2010
You already know that I really like this but, I've decided to tell you again. The idea of little Enjolras "thrashing"the playground bully still cracks me up. I don't think I mentioned this in my earlier review but, the Sans-culotte comment made me laugh...a lot.

I look forward to future chapters!
ColonelDespard chapter 2 . 9/19/2010
An update - love it! And the concept of children as natural Jacobins (although some would argue that there are a few born totalitarians as well). This is a rather different take on how the ideals of the French Revolution come to imprint themselves so heavily in Enjolras' make up - there's Enjolras who springs fully-formed from the head of Marianne with an innate knowledge of the Revolutionary Apocalypse from birth, MmeBahorel's lovely tale of how Combeferre exposes him to inequality and suffering and thus unleashes the latent Republican fervor, and quite a few stories in which he is abruptly exposed to poverty, either as a child or later, which brings about a Road to Damascus conversion. I've toyed myself with the idea of Enjolras meeting the son of a conventionnel (in my vague backstory, he was a priest), but to my knowledge no one has ever thought of putting G- to this use.

The serious "why" makes an awful lot of sense to me in the development of Enjolras' character - the remorseless logic and need to cut through the Gordian knot. What will be very interesting is how he reacts to the Terror, and in particularly the execution of Louis XVI. G-, who voted against it, might find that Enjolras (Saint-Just style) might have voted for the execution...using similar arguments to those Saint-Just did in the convention.

As for Enjolras himself - a stubborn, strange, fierce little boy - great job!
hollybridgetpeppermint chapter 1 . 9/17/2010
How did I miss this before? Sorry about that...I can't believe it, either, because I really like this, and it figures that I would somehow not see it when you first wrote it...!

Ah,'s really awesome, and the description of a sans-culotte made me literally lol! Great job, as usual!

Fiwen9430 chapter 1 . 9/14/2010
Ooh, can't wait to read more. I absolutely love G- and how he turns a lot of the Bishop's ideas upside down. The origins of your Enjolras also seem interesting and I am looking forward to seeing him develop.
AmZ chapter 1 . 9/7/2010
Oh ho! Little Enjolras swearing in lenga d'oc! A fine thing indeed! :))

I very much like this obsessive, intense, sharp little fellow.
ColonelDespard chapter 1 . 9/7/2010
Chuffed to see another story from you! Yes, I remember G- very fondly indeed - sometimes fragments of those scenes come to mind during discussions about the Convention. I love the concept of this - I can see parallels with, say, Michael Collins and the village blacksmith and the teacher who were early influences on his socio-political mindset (not to mention his revolutionary methodology). An influence at this time of life can be lasting.

Interesting, too, to see how you're weaving in explanations for some of the more curious aspects of Enjolras' character - and some behaviour patterns that are not entirely yet explained. I'm curious as to where you're going with this (not Aspergers? He has some symptoms, but decidedly lacks others).

At any rate, a great beginning.
Mlle Patria chapter 1 . 9/6/2010
I was reading ahead and just got to the part about G- so I was absolutely delighted to see this fic. When you began describing the young boy I was thinking to myself, "Oh my gosh! I bet it's Enjolras! No, it can't be. Yes it is!" It's wonderful (as all of your stories are) and I can't wait for more!
EuphrasieTheOwl chapter 1 . 9/6/2010
What a wonderful idea that you've got here! Very creative and unique!

Little Enjolras is absolutly adorable and you write him so well! I feel so bad that he has to move a lot and that he's never had a chance to make friends so he's given up on the prospect of friendship.

I can't wait for more!
frustratedstudent chapter 1 . 9/6/2010
I want to bring home your Marcellin!

That aside, awesome beginning. I was wondering how *your* Enjolras got to be the way he was-interesting take. :D