Reviews for An Education in Darkness
Whirlwind421 chapter 1 . 7/1/2011
I totally agree with it! I love the story! :)
Sedri chapter 1 . 9/7/2010
I... don't like it, I'm afraid. I really, really cannot put my finger on why - and believe me, I've tried, because it's a pretty lousy review that criticises without specifying - but something doesn't feel right. Maybe... maybe it's just that I can't see Archer casually describing his entire dream like that, and it colours how the following events feel to me. I'm not sure.

I do like that Archer's not kicking up a fuss about Trip and T'Pol. I like the little joke about Chef pining over someone, and I like that Archer notices how hard Trip has fallen (particularly because he never seemed to notice a thing on the show).

I think it'd be interesting if they did indeed have all this mostly-accurate future knowledge to draw on about the Xindi, just because it'd give them a much more reasonable chance at success because they could plan in advance rather than jumping in (that was part of why I so loved the Suliban data disc heist in Shockwave; they had a plan, a good plan, and they carried it out perfectly. Wouldn't make for great drama every day, but it was good).

And of course, I like that T'Pol came to Trip rather than being passive, but it feels odd for her to stand there and narrate to him. Maybe it feels like it's making her too open - as much as I wish she would be, it doesn't feel in-character; nor does picturing her kneeling down and putting her head in his lap. I know you say it's because of the sudden rush of memories, but it doesn't seem to come across.

Actually, I think I know what's bothering me; I don't feel like we've seen enough of a change in T'Pol due to those new memories to make her behaviour feel real. Most of that is in the missing scene, and even then, it doesn't feel like quite... enough. I think perhaps if this piece were longer, and more from T'Pol's point of view - or Trip observing T'Pol and thinking about how this must affect her - it might sit better with me, at least.

Sorry this isn't more positive, but I didn't want to leave it unsaid.
The Middleman chapter 1 . 9/7/2010
Man ... I'm really glad you're on our side and not a fan of that "non existent" romance.
Dbear chapter 1 . 9/7/2010
This was a nice little story here, I like how you did not get overly angsty with it and I think you showed the relationship between the three very well.

Some T&T types (which I consider myself one) portray Archer in the worst light possible, but you haven’t in your stories I have read. Archer was not perfect but he knew he wasn’t and tried to address those shortcomings (not always successfully), I actually liked his character because he was not perfect (got too much of that in TNG).

Archer and Trip changed in season three but they still were friends underneath it all and I do not think Archer was as clueless as some people believe. He did not go nuts when he found out that TPol and Trip married in the alternative time line and I always took his final comments when going to the weapon for TPol to keep Trip out of trouble as a good nature dig to what I am sure he heard around the ship.

Was Archer attracted to TPol, sure (what guy wouldn’t be) and he liked TPol, but I never thought he was in love with her.

The scene between TPol and Trip was sweet, although I did think it was a bit much on grabbing his legs, but you are right she just went through a tough spot.

You produced a very nice and well balanced story, nice job.
aadarshinah chapter 1 . 9/7/2010
and my second reveiw...

1) Jon raised his eyebrows. He had overheard enough of the scuttlebutt about the two of them spending time together every evening to be surprised that Trip had brought it up so casually. - When Jon notices the rumours, you know it's gotta be a big deal.

2) "She told me she had a dream, too," Trip said. He looked sick. - poor, poor, poor Trip

3) Damn, this was awkward. It was impossible not to notice that his first officer had sacrificed everything for him. And that she was extremely embarrassed about admitting it. - I can see it now, "Vulcan's do not avoid people..." Well, if she tried to avoid Archer after that convo, which I would think she might, but still...

4) Or maybe she'd dreamed something. - Hmmm... interesting, but not quite as fun

5) She must have formed far more of an attachment to him over the years than he had ever thought possible. It was flattering – and definitely intriguing – but not really something he had any time to focus on right now - Well, let's see Jon: She gave up her commission to stay aboard, she felt responsible for Earth's destruction as she was in charge at the time, she felt everyone else was blaming her for said destruction, and you didn't because you'd lost your memory. Of course she'd go to take care of you rather than have to deal with all that. She's Vulcan, not a statue...

6) Perhaps later there would be time to explore … other possibilities. - You just gave Trip the all clear to advance his and T'Pol's relationship... and this is what you think? Guys. Pigs, all of them... Okay, not really, but still.

7) "The captain only remembers one day. He only remembers what I chose to tell him. I remember twelve years." - which is the real crux of the matter.

8) "Purring like a kitten, Cap'n." Archer tilted his head; he looked surprised. "Glad to hear it." - I still feel like I'm missing some crazy joke here. I mean, I get it, I understand it, but if Trip knows Archer is really asking about T'Pol and he chose to say that... *shakes head* I'm so missing something

9) Nothing could go wrong now. - *claps*

10) And from TS: Thanks. But I'll thank Aardarshinah for her brilliance in our discussion in the forum - I'm not sure that point would have occurred to me on my own. - Kudos. At least I'm being useful somehow.

lovely as always, aadarshinah
startraveller776 chapter 1 . 9/7/2010
I read/reviewed this at TriS... but I have to say that this is one of my most favorite so far. I know it's AU... but dang, it's how it should have been. Good-bye season 3 & 4 angst, hello resolution.

I like a little darkness too, so this is right up my alley.
TheFoundersDaughter chapter 1 . 9/7/2010
i totally love this story, i just read your missing scenes s3 and it was great. I DO believe that she might JUST have been that deperate. I dont think she couldve taken more heartache tbh. please write more, I has cookies :)