Reviews for Withered Tree
Cariad-je chapter 6 . 3/30/2013
You write masterfully. likely there's no need for a random reviewer to devote more words to what you already know well :) but I can't help it, your writing takes my breath away every single time.

I could love this Denethor- love him fiercely and sadly, in a way I couldn't the books'. Imho... it's as if that's your triumph. reworking character so delicately yet powerfully as to lend him the full measure of greatness and humanity that Tolkien's work allows for, but is silent on.

It's been four or five years since I first encountered your work, but your writing is so vivid in my mind and sets my heart racing still, every time. reading you makes me feel so much more alive. Gushing now, should stop. only, thank you. and a very blessed Easter
Thyme chapter 1 . 1/3/2013
This is not a story I'd have told - for an AU I prefer Spirits of the House. But it's well done, as ever, and although the ambiguity of nature & conduct portrayed here isn't quite my cup of tea, I can recommend it.
Nimloth9 chapter 6 . 9/1/2011
Great AU, probably the best "if Denethor didn't burn himself on the pyre..." Denethor is very much the Denethor in the book, and you can almost cut and paste your story to "The Return of the King" without people noticing. I always feared that Denethor would kill himself first before he bowed to Aragorn. "I will have naught: neither life diminished, nor love halved, nor honour abated." And so it may have been, sadly. But poor Faramir! He made the right choice no matter how hard, as always, but it must have torn his heart! But then, that's why I love him! Again, great story!
Equilly chapter 6 . 6/22/2011
I love this story because you depict the "no-man's land" in between the black and white; all of your characters are so perfect, from Denethor to Eowyn to Aragorn, and I love your writing style. In your story I found a "meaning" just as deep as in the actual book.

Best!

-claire
anne chapter 6 . 12/19/2010
"For surely the way lies in between. Men are neither good nor evil, but are at once faithless and faithful, hopeless and hopeful, pitiless and pitiful."

A beautiful end to your well-written fic. LotR is a true 'epic', and as such I feel it often ignores what could be called the 'grey areas between good and evil', the contradicting emotions, desires, reasons, and mistakes. Exactly because he is less than perfect, Denethor (and to a lesser extend Boromir as well) has always been one of the few characters in the lotr that feels 'whole' to me, and you managed to capure the tragic feel if his character amazingly well. Thanks for the story
LadyoftheShield chapter 6 . 12/11/2010
Wow. So, he actually did support Faramir's choice of a girl... then took his own life in the end.

...

Merry and Eowyn- so, thier work was not done. A wonderful job overall! Excellently written, and I must say this is one of your best!
LadyoftheShield chapter 5 . 12/11/2010
So, Faramir made his choice! As we all knew he would. Denethor won't be too happy. Faramir supporting the claim should be enough to tip the scale...

Eowyn's POV was well written. I empathized with her when she compared Minas Tirith to Meduseld.

Denethor's insistance that Aragorn was "putting him under siege" with threats was definitely IC for him- sadly.

One chapter to go!
LadyoftheShield chapter 4 . 12/11/2010
Ha, Merry's apples!

The council scene was amazing! All the history you mentioned really ties it in and makes it a believable AU.

I am very much enjoying this so far, and I hope Denethor finds healing and redemption.

I wonder how Eowyn ties into this... Because we all know that's who he should end up with... but I doubt Denethor would approve...
LadyoftheShield chapter 3 . 12/11/2010
The parts with Merry made me smile. You're doing wonderful with this- Denethor asking if "She too sought the Shadow," Faramir's determination to walk in the garden and not to let the land go unfought- it's all wonderful!
LadyoftheShield chapter 2 . 12/11/2010
A chill went up my spine during the part about the flower...

You really did well with Beregond, how he was reluctant to leave Faramir.. and the ""But what could happen to me here – and with my father nigh?"" Line was soo ironic!
LadyoftheShield chapter 1 . 12/11/2010
Wow... something I had never even wondered about! Amazing job, and your writing style sounds very like Tolkien! I liked the way Pippin timidly wondered if he was doing the right thing.
Majoranka chapter 6 . 9/29/2010
Thank you for writing this story. As usual, your portrayals of Faramir and Denethor are spot on, and your style is both elegant and vivid. I loved how you kept the reader in suspense throughout the story simply by the way you were describing the surroundings or the character's thoughts. I never knew if or when you decide to kill Frodo or have Dehethor murder Faramir and burn down Minas Tirith :-) But I am glad you did no such thing. What I love most about this story, I think, is that you have kept Denethor human. It is a very dark tale, yet written with much compassion towards Denethor and much insight into his mind. He was a complicated character, who never stops fascinating me, and it's great to see more of him in stories like yours. Well done!
IHeartSam chapter 1 . 9/19/2010
Fantastic opening, I really love the way this has all obviously been thought out and no doubt painstakingly written!It's nice to see a slightly different take on embellishing this part of the story and I eagerly look forward to more. Nice job!x
acacia59601 chapter 6 . 9/9/2010
Wow, amazing story, I loved every bit of it and I can't wait to see what you come up with next!
lindahoyland chapter 6 . 9/8/2010
I loved the way you portrayed Faramir, Denethor and of the best stories I've read in ages.