Reviews for Symptoms
BeyondMyReach chapter 1 . 2/12
... I'm kinda speechless right now, but in a good way.
I love the way John tried to argue Sherlock wasn't a sociopath out of some kind of loyalty to him as a friend and how he knew Sherlock. Sherlock's line "I'd expect no less from my conscience" is very... strong(?) I really liked that line and the tone of the whole story. Thanks for writing.
kitsuneluvuh chapter 1 . 2/5
... Did you just kill John? Did he really die? D:
Dairi chapter 1 . 8/5/2013
Haha, nice insight into their relationship, and the thinking of each one. Thanks for sharing!
calliopechild chapter 1 . 7/10/2013
Very neat piece. The line "I'd expect no less from my conscience" was absolutely brilliant, and that was what cemented for me the not-a-total-sociopath ruling for Sherlock; if he was a complete sociopath, he wouldn't care about having-or, for that matter, want-a conscience, would he? I'd love to see a follow-up to this, especially from Sherlock's point of view.
kateydidnt chapter 1 . 6/25/2013
I've been going backwards and forwards on this same issue. According to what I've found, Sherlock really doesn't fit the profile of a sociopath (psychopath means the exact same thing-and both are usually referred to as antisocial personality disorder now). He does have some psychopathic tendencies, but on the scales I've found and my interpretation of his actions he isn't truly a psychopath.

One of the most prominent features of psychopaths is they are charismatic and charming. While we know he can be those, he usually doesn't care enough to be. He is more interested in intellectual stimulation than anything else-including attention. In fact he really doesn't care what most others think of him as long as his conclusions are listened to. Everything else is irrelevant. He does manipulate people shamefully and does have some emotional stunting. However he lacks the sexual promiscuity that usually marks psychopaths too. And from what I see he is NOT actually a pathalogical liar. He has no problems telling lies, but most of the time he actually speaks absolute truth.

For sure Sherlock has some problems and he is not the picture of mental health, but I don't think he is a full blown psychopath. (And as far as I can tell there is no such thing as a "high functioning" sociopath-I think he was trolling Anderson.) Of course I could be biased about all this. :D

Anyway, this was originally meant to be a "thanks for a good story!" and turned into something else. . . sorry about that.
Dr.B.Damned chapter 1 . 5/6/2013
Oh my god, that was sad!
jack63kids chapter 1 . 4/7/2013
Failure!? Where? Did I miss it? All I see is a very successful story - oh! You mean failed to show he's a sociopath - well, who cares! Loved it just the way it is. Well written and entertaining and really, really makes you think - is he faking, or is it real and why would he?

Couple of Anglicisms and queries:
'a little red check' - tick in England
Asperger's rather than autism, which is basically Asperger's with a learning disability.
'A trip to the hospital just brings bills' - we have the NHS, so seldom bills, unless Sherlock is so posh that he wouldn't consider going to A&E.

Lovely story. Hope to read more of yours, maybe something more current.
Whirlwind421 chapter 1 . 2/12/2013
Great story. I liked it!
AreYouReady chapter 1 . 1/14/2013
Wow. Interesting.
Romanse chapter 1 . 11/9/2012
Good job on that prompt! I enjoyed reading this very much and thought you wrote a nice little bit of psychoanalysis there!
Lindelas chapter 1 . 2/21/2012
This was really, REALLY well written and heartwarming, but all the time very much in-character. Thank you!
expiry 4.23 chapter 1 . 1/31/2012
Spectacular.
Jolena chapter 1 . 10/30/2011
I liked this, psychological ramblings and all. And I definitely agree that Holmes is a sociopath. However, I thought that sociopaths were capable of empathy and of forming attachments to certain individuals?
deaka chapter 1 . 9/3/2011
This is an excellent fic in its own right, and the subject matter is handled well. I don't quite know where I stand on the sociopath debate - I can buy arguments both ways - but I have seen it dismissed too easily too often (because of the stigma around ASPD/sociopathy/psychopathy, because of common misconceptions about all of the above? ... Sherlock doesn't make things any easier by using outdated/imprecise terminology, sigh), so I do like this take. It's very much in character for both of them, too. :D
Jodi2011 chapter 1 . 8/20/2011
More great writing and insights into our two heroes. And of course John doesn't die :)