Reviews for Life at the Top
ColdGoldLazarus chapter 8 . 12/14/2012
I'll admit I'm not really that big a fan of Kim Possible, but I have a passing familiarity with it, and this was recommended by a friend.

It was well worth it.
Karon19 chapter 8 . 8/11/2011
Nice story, Doofus, though not up to par with "Just a Jock." That's your magnus opus, IMO.

The philosophical moral of the story, that it's the journey and not the destination, reflects on our daily lives. Imagine if a writer has written every topic imaginable, in every genre, in every langauge; what would be the point of writing anymore? For Kim and Shego's, it's a Yin-Yang perspective. Neither can exist without the other. This sort of relationshp reminds me of Slyrr's epic "All Things Probable" series in which hero and villain are two sides of the same coin.

It's all part of living.

Karon19 chapter 7 . 8/11/2011
"Did I just jump a shark?"

You should get slime dumped on your head for that one. It sounds like something Kim would say on the show...and what's a villain's lair without sharks?

The fight scene at the end was great, if feeling a bit rushed. One moment, Kim has the antidote and uses it on her family, the next she's storming the castle, as it were.

The fight between Kim and Ron was a nice touch, and it brings to mind who is the best fighter; Kim when she's in her battlesuit, or Ron with his MMP. Hmmm...future story?

One more to go!

Karon19 chapter 6 . 8/9/2011
I want a lair with a water park. The premise of this story brings up the saying "be careful what you wish for; you just might get it." You have to ask yourselves what super villians are thinking. Why take over the world? Is there a purpose, a goal? What will they do with it when they have it?

Just like a dog chasing a tire.

Karon19 chapter 4 . 8/9/2011
I liked that "Circle" metaphor. Did you come up with it yourself or is that a Japanese saying?

So the government was experimenting on naked mole rats? Why? Man, that's what an overbudget will do to a government.

Somehow I'm a bit suprised that Sensei would have succumbed to the affects of the virus. I mean the guy always seems five steps ahead of everyone else. And he's mentally powerful as well. Still, this proves that even he is human.

So what's Kim's next move?

Karon19 chapter 3 . 8/4/2011
Damn! I read that book! World War Z is one of my favorite novels. That part about the population of North Korea going underground sent shivers up my spine. To think that an army of 23 million zombies lies somewhere underground, waiting to start a new epidemic, is frigthening and ludicrously ironic. Zombies are living dead. The dead come from the ground. You get me.

I was thinking about that passage by Max Brooks when you mentioned North Korea. Who knows what those crazy Reds are up to?

As for the story, Shego would let Kim squirm just a bit before getting tired of her. But even she has to realize that Kim will do something eventually.

I'm kind of torn as to which is worse, breathing a virus, or having it soak through your skin? I think I'd rather wear a breathing mask then having to wear protective clothing every time I stepped outside. Besides, having the virus enter the water and river systems would guarantee instant followers. Drakken's scheme has gone too far this time.

Karon19 chapter 2 . 8/4/2011
This is happening a little fast. Wade's good, but being able to breech the most secure facility on Earth...okay, so GJ's not the best example of global security and the series has overempahsized his genius on numerous levels. Like the internet, there are certain things a single mind, no matter how brilliant, can manipulate alone. One wonders if Wade is more than he seems.

Freaky being the lone woman in the world. Who will Kim turn to next?

bigherb81 chapter 8 . 8/3/2011
Really enjoyed the story, you hate to see the hero lose, but it was a good plan. Oh the reason I think Shego enjoyed ruling when she was the great one was because she constantly had to force people to obey. Plus she had the thrill of thwarting resistance fighters from time to time. Anywho great story really enjoyed it.
Karon19 chapter 1 . 8/2/2011
You know I found out about this story when I skimmed through Charles Gray's "Kim Possible, Endings and Beginnings" in which he mentions it as an offshoot to your fic. So you can thank him for pointing me in the right direction.

First, let me just say it's a thrill reading another one of your stories. It's been a long time since I had such a favorite author. This is not to say I'll enjoy everything you write but you haven't let me down so far.

A world where Drakken succeeds? It's been done before, but having Kim aware is the ultimate revenge. She gets to see what life would be like had she failed. What I want to know is how did Drakken and Shego discover Wade's whereabouts and who his mother was. I'm surprised Bob, Mark, or Steve never explored the possibility of Wade's discovery. What about his origins? How did Kim and Wade meet?

That formula sure worked fast. Too fast. Only in our imagination can something like that happen.

Welcome to hell, Kim Possible.

UltimateCalculator chapter 2 . 4/14/2011
Like it.
Reader101w chapter 8 . 10/13/2010
Great story,

Well played on the return of freedom (much in the same way it was taken). Good thing that Kim never fully gave up though.

Ron almost ruined everything when he got a little too got at defending himself.

Drakken and Shego got off easy, they were pretty lucky at that.

On thing though, why would Shego be happy to be beaten by Kim? I understand she loves the challenge, but wouldn't she still want to prove she it the best?

Anyway, great work, I hope you will return from your writing hiatus.

keep up the good writing,

reader101w
Slipgate chapter 8 . 10/11/2010
DoofusPrime,

I wasn't entirely sure at the initial setup of this tale, just because the tale was set with such a totality of defeat that I wasn't sure what I'd be reading other than the expected (which, to me, was Shego having little to live for, though I wondered with Shego's "she'll have to learn a lesson" statements whether there was some slight Kim had done that Shego mistakenly felt this was even retribution for).

In all, the situation was very interesting - especially how you had the drug affecting different people different ways - but it left me with questions. There had to be some sustaining aspect to the drug, otherwise it would've eventually diluted or flushed out of a system over time. To extend the situation for a year, which is what it sounded like you did, had good and bad points. On the bad: Though Kim and Shego bring up different periods of time, sometimes suggesting it's been a year, sometimes suggesting it's been months, and I'm honestly amazed that Shego even handled the near-year of boredom after the first few weeks, or that Kim's sense of what was right and wrong didn't get confused in the fact that a cured Middleton would have many of the same day to day happenings and thus she'd wonder after long enough in a twisted situation whether she was in an untwisted situation again after all. On the good: It did let you explore specifics of the situation that might not have occurred to all readers.

I'm frustrated that Shego could plan so much and not have actually thought about what the world she'd be creating would be like. It's actually kind of annoying and I wonder if Shego would really be that foolish. Maybe it's just me, but when you expend that much effort to planning something just so, I would hope you would think about five years later and not just two weeks later.

Anyway, while I wasn't sure at the outset, you explored the downsides of the concept rather thoroughly in 6 chapters. However, the denouement didn't seem to quit match. For all the thinking you set up as to what it would be like in the infrastructure of the world to even recover at this point (things like people realizing they've bee relocated from their homes, uncertainty in how to find certain family members again, and especially how Drakken and Shego should be responded to in a world that felt entirely violated by them... it seemed somewhat like trying to go kiddie-cartoon again for Shego to even assume it would be up to Kim what Shego's fate was, rather than figuring there wouldn't be revenge-minded people set to put bullets through their skull no matter where they were for the rest of their lives. For all that you set up of the situation's facets, the denouement sort of barely touched the potential situations to resolve.

The one thing you dealt with was the withdrawal of thinking that way and then having a free mind again, but there was so much you didn't touch on in the spindown when you touched on it in the spinup. I know how a story that "doesn't drag on" couldn't have gone out with a whimper instead of a pop by having that stuff, but I suppose I still figure it would've been nice to cover. The way Shego felt like Kim giving her amnesty would be enough for the world to give her amnesty was especially discordant to me. I didn't mind the "shark jump" moment, but it did mismatch the story a bit.

I know this review seems so critical, but this is the stuff I couldn't help but think about during the story, and seeing as I'm an author too, I must hasten to note that I'm not assuming I'd do any better or anything. (I'm just giving my honest critique of pros and cons I see here, as I'd expect anyone to give me in reviews of my stuff. I really DON'T mind negative reviews if those are the ones I earn. :) )

One question I never understood: Some politicians weren't brainwashed and still acceded. This was a nice touch and was believable... but what I don't understand is how people remained un-brainwashed the whole time. The cure Kim and Mrs. Lipsky were given clearly prevented them from getting re-infected (though here too I have to figure that the limited quantity of antidote would eventually expire in the bloodstream especially as water with the brainwashing agent was continually ingested over time - Kim was unsure at one point of water with the brainwashing agent in it even though she was cured, but I can imagine that eventually her antidote would dissipate while the brainwashing agent would continue to be ingested, especially months later. Such a permanently present chemical hasn't been made yet, has it? :) And like I said, the same could be true of the eventual dilution of the brainwashing agent unless the world water was periodically resaturated. Anyway, I don't know how there were politicians that stayed un-infected given the world water supply had the brainwashing agent. You didn't suggest they'd been "cured" so I figured they simply hadn't ingested it... but to not eventually get exposed to something that would literally have been worldwide and in the air given the way an ecosystem works? Holdouts like Yori and Sensei, before Monkey Fist caught them, could perhaps watch what they consumed for a short time, but they would've succumbed eventually even if Monkey Fist hadn't pursued. How did these politicans stay okay? And, even if they did, did they not eventually see their power as hollow?
Gomro Morskopp chapter 8 . 10/9/2010
Nice. And pretty much canon, too - if Shego will attack alien behemoths and evil spirits when they have Kim on the ropes, claiming she's the only one with the right to defeat her, she'd definitely get sick of a Kimless utopia.

And the shark was good, too.
Joe Stoppinghem chapter 8 . 10/8/2010
Great story and fantastic chapter.

I love it when the writer can make statements about present situations to match his story, and sneak it by most readers.

Sorry to hear you'll be taking a break, but the pace you were at it soon would have been total flame out.

Hope you will be coming back soon, enough for you to rest up.

Again thanks for the work you have been doing and can't wait to read more from you in the future.

Joe
Earl Allison chapter 8 . 10/8/2010
Awesome, DoofusPrime, simply awesome!

The interaction with Bonnie (the hint of a smile portion especially), Shego's musings, the idea of holdouts still looking to be led. All incredible pieces of a great story.

Thanks so much, it was an incredible read. I wish I could do more than compliment, but, well ... :)

Take it and run,