Reviews for Driving Lessons
VioletErin.26 chapter 1 . 1/18/2014
brillant!:D I enjoyed this very much!
thejollydoctor chapter 1 . 10/27/2013
I loved your portrayal of Jenny as a fun-loving "teenager" type character. Most people focus a bit too much on the "She's a soldier" issue. I've always thought that after the events of "The Doctor's Daughter" she'd be driven towards a more rebellious nature, and your reference to "crashing the Hindenburg" (whether she intended to or not) covers that nicely. The light-hearted feel to this story is certainly one of the best aspects.
flootzavut chapter 1 . 3/31/2013
"No!" he insisted. "Last time I let you take her out for a spin, you nearly crashed the Hindenburg!"

That cracked me up. And I really loved the blue button - no! The other blue moment, too!
truthsetfree chapter 1 . 2/24/2013
The Doctor was well-characterized and the (dad can I have the keys?) situation with Jenny was believable. River seemed to be very much herself, though her entrance seemed a bit abrupt. Great use of dialogue. The part about the Hindenburg crashing earlier than it should have due to Jenny was funny.
MessengerOfDreams chapter 1 . 2/24/2013
I loved this. I just loved the coy, sharp sense of wit and humor. Seeing the doctor, who (from my venerable distance) always struck me as a person of solitude, with a kid of his own is a very amusing, interesting sight on a basic level, and you bring it beyond the pale with a heartwarming, funny story with plenty of clever lines and sweet family bonding. River's introduction was spontaneous but added an extra bit more to the stories that it thrived from. I just adored this little tidbit and it was a well deserved Story of the Week. Great job!
Galvantula866 chapter 1 . 2/20/2013
I think we all have been there at one point or another, whenever as the one who asks or the one that worries about the one asking. When i saw this come up as SOTW I had to take a look.

Jenny seems like a normal teenager, her father and choice of rider notwithstanding. The dialog is written in a way where this sort of thing is seen as normal and not out of place given that Doctor Who travels thoughout time all the time. If you didn't mention that she is a female clone of the 'good' Dr I would have guessed the matter of her birth to have been the same as any other human.

I'm glad he relented in the end, as she does need training in driving the TARDIS. Of course the TARDIS is not a easy craft to drive, let alone fly and the sight alone was hilarious! I also didn't know that the ship is 'alive' in a sense, which is due in fault to my fandom blindness of all things Dr. Who. If it weren't for Toyfare I'd be completely in the dark with this story, which is a shame as it's really good.

River Song might have a point to make, but if the TARDIS is as alive as he says it is, then it needs proper care and upkeep. Apart from that I enjoyed reading this and I wish I could have caught the little in-jokes better.
Inkfire chapter 1 . 2/20/2013
This fic is just lovely, you captured all of the characters really nicely. It was fun to see the Doctor actually get to play his role as a dad, though of course his relationship to Jenny remained peculiar—pretty sweet, the protectiveness and also not wanting her to CAUSE trouble (get things happening early, for instance ;)). I really enjoyed the casual talk about time traveling and popping galaxies, Jenny made it sound wonderful. I loved Jenny's attempt at intimidation—she did sound imposing! Her dialogue with the Doctor was really fun. I just DIED LAUGHING at the whole TARDIS-lesson part. Your Ten voice sounded pretty nice. And RIVER. Ah, you got River just right, smokin' and teasing and effortlessly commanding attention, getting the Doctor wrapped around her little finger with just a little reasoning. It was fun to picture Jenny watching and giggling all along ;) And obviously, River is River so there was innuendo. Subtle innuendo ;) I approve—though I can't picture Ten getting quite that comfortable with her in my own headcanon, but it sounded pretty believable in your fic. The conclusion was just lovely and sweet and grin-worthy. Really enjoyable fic, good work!
summerlinde chapter 1 . 2/18/2013
Now I really want to rewatch "The Doctor's Daughter"! :P I really like your portrayal of Jenny here. She's really well-balanced between Time Lordy and teenagery, and her personality is JUST like I remember it from the episode. Her relationship with her dad is perfect, too. It's father-daughter enough without being too sappy or overdramatic. River is excellent, too. She WOULD conspire with Jenny against the Doctor, and I love the way she just takes over the flying lessons. Her dialogue really sounds like her and I even heard it in Alex Kingston's voice because it fit so well. The little in-fandom joke about the parking brake made me fangirl like crazy, too. I'm still grinning. . . :)

The only kind of negative thing for me was that I had a hard time imagining it as 10 instead of 11 once River really got into the story, though I think that's more about me than about your writing. I just kept finding that the picture in my head shifted and I had to force it to shift back, especially when she was hitting on him and he was blushing, because that's just something I associate so strongly with the 11-and-River relationship. It did help to reread the story a second time kind of reminding myself that it was 10, not 11, and I liked it better the second time I read it because it was easier to keep my mental images straight, so I do think a lot of the problem was me bringing my own inner 11/River shipper to the party uninvited. . . It might help to add a couple of little 10-specific descriptors, though, if other people find that they imagine 11 instead of 10, too, even though you said it was 10.
Megalink1126 chapter 1 . 2/18/2013
Okay, so let me start off by saying I pretty much know nothing about Doctor Who. Not that you really need to know that, but it could be helpful to keep in mind if I say something that seems completely stupid that would be obvious to anyone who knows the fandom. -

Even without knowing the fandom though, I found this fic to be pretty amazing. There's just so much humor jam-packed into it that even without getting all of the jokes I still found myself laughing as I went along. My favorite joke of them all would probably have to be the one about using duct tape to fix the forlax capacitator or whatever it was called. The Doctor's reaction to that was just priceless. But then again, all of the characters had some great lines and reactions, so yeah.

The thing that I probably liked best though was how you managed to take something sort of mundane (driving lessons) and apply it in a way that not only fits with the fandom, but also is really relatable to the readers as well. I think it really helped to make a lot of the jokes with the specific scenarios it allowed you to introduce, and it was really a great idea overall.

As for a bit of attempted concrit, I was a bit confused about River just showing up randomly there. Now like I said, I know nothing about the fandom so there could be some obvious reason that I'm just missing, but to me she just sort of came out of nowhere without any explanation as to where she came from. So yeah, it might not be a big deal, but I figured I'd bring it up.

The other tiny thing I noticed was this:

"Her voice was laced with innuendo, and she took another step back. The Doctor backed away again, but he was now pressed up against the TARDIS and there was nowhere left to go."

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you mean that River took another step forward, not back, since it doesn't really make sense for the Doctor to back away from her if she's stepping back. It's a tiny little thing, but it caught my eye and made me have to go back and re-read the paragraph a few times, so I figured I'd point it out.

Overall though, this fic really was quite hilarious and nicely written, and so I'm going to make it this week's Story of the Week over at The Reviews Lounge, Too forum. It definitely deserves it, and hopefully you'll get a few more reviews out of it too. :D
ConfusedSoAmI chapter 1 . 2/10/2013
Awwww that was cute! I always did like Jenny :)
StormRex Lancer chapter 1 . 1/10/2013
That is real funny bones right there! You managed to flesh out Doctor Who as a father-figure without using too much words, but instead using his speech, tones, and the way he communicates with the members in this story. The budding romance between River and the Doctor is the icing on the cake, it's very, very cute.

Not much to complain about, and even though I may not be part of the Who fandom, there is still a very 'Family' air around it. I love family-based story, keep it up!
Silver Ame Tsukino chapter 1 . 6/4/2012
lmao XD
Princess Pinky chapter 1 . 10/15/2011
I'm just reading this fic again, now knowing who River Song is (and she's OFFICIALLY Jenny's step-mother: YES!) and loving it even more than I did the first time! This line officially cracks me up way more in retrospect: "Jenny bounded lightly out the doors, grinning. The Doctor stumbled after her, coughing from the smoke being expelled from the console. 'It's not supposed to do that!' he exclaimed. 'The smoking... that's bad! That's very bad!'" - Are you sure you didn't travel into the future, watch "Let's Kill Hitler," and then come back and write this? (As if there weren't enough Melody/River & Jenny similarities in canon!)

Also, knowing that River got driving lessons from the TARDIS and is now giving her step-daughter driving lessons (after The Doctor's completely unsuccessful lessons) somehow just makes this story so much more hilarious! :D (I'll betcha the TARDIS intentionally chose to land them at River's feet so she could breathe a sigh of relief knowing that River would spare her anymore anguish. Oh, The Doctor's Women: the TARDIS, River, and Jenny. Seriously, this needs to happen in canon! Obviously it can't with the Tenth Doctor, but hey, Eleven/RiverJenny in the TARDIS is just as good!)
I'mSexyAndYouKnowItGlitch chapter 1 . 8/4/2011
u r sooooooooooo awsome!
debbiea chapter 1 . 4/2/2011
Bloody brilliant. What an excellent idea. :D I really do like this, and wouldn't it have been great to have River, Jenny and Ten together. :D