Reviews for A Question of Motives
FORESHADOWING chapter 80 . 10/8
Really? Is this going to turn from being great to being super cheesy and have Kalem be alive as either some super evil dude pulling the strings from behind or having been locked up for the past however years
Killua Lawliet chapter 41 . 10/8
Ok so I'm only half-way through this fanfic but I have to say A Question of Motives is one of if not the best and well written fanfics I've had the pleasure of reading for any fandom this story is truly a masterpiece what with the fact that it manages to not only stick with the show dispite Arthur's knowledge of Merlin's magic but it does so in a believable way half of the stories that I've read for this fandom ruin the reveal by A. Making it super angsty or B. Turning it into crack however this story simply flows and I'm absolutely hooked the way that you the author have managed to capture the light tone of the show whilst adding in the angst from the show as well is truely impressive and I find myself wishing more and more that this was how BBC had done Merlin not to mention the original arcs and characters you've added(Liam is the BEST) and the way you portray the characters is truly awe-inspiring and to sum up this super long comment I'll just say that I truly love this story so far and can't wait to read the rest of both this and the A Question of... series
Honyasbookshelf2017 chapter 80 . 6/15
Wow, I have to say that the amount of work put into A Question of Motives is impressive. This story follows series 3 of BBC’s Merlin from the latter parts of episode 2 all the way past the end . . . only in this version, Arthur knows all about Merlin’s magic right from the beginning. What’s more, he accepts it and helps Merlin keep his secret! All in all, I think this story is happier and lighter than most of the Merlin fanfics I’ve read (other than the utterly absurd crack ones, obviously). It’s serious, and when events in the show become dark, this fanfic does as well, but it’s lacking the typical angst that is so very common in this particular fandom. And while I do love the angst, I found A Question of Motives to be a welcome change. It’s engaging and adventurous, full of friendship and laughter. The author does a great job of altering events in the story to fit with Arthur’s newfound knowledge and the growing group of people involved in Merlin’s secret, slipping original episodes in amongst the canon show episodes and even introducing some charming OCs (yes, I do love Liam!). The only things about this story that were awkward or strange to me were: 1) The author has a way of saying “was stood” when you would usually hear “stood” or “was standing.” I’ve seen a few other authors do this, and I’m wondering if it’s a regional thing . . . but it sounds kind of odd to me. No biggie, though. 2) Uther is too nice and understanding. Of course, it could be that the Uther we see in the show is too polarized and we’re missing this side of him. It was nice to see him being nice on occasion. Just kind of unsettling as well. 3) There was an almost RPG feel to the way that Merlin and his gang acquired new skills, party members, status, etc. Not that that’s a bad thing, it was just kind of noticeable. Still, none of these things was outstanding enough to spoil my enjoyment of a fun and well-written fanfic, which A Question of Motives definitely is.
ninagayler chapter 7 . 6/1
Interesting story
flamingbookworm chapter 1 . 5/29
when did Liam become Retainer?
dmarie1184 chapter 1 . 5/9
I wish the series had revealed his magic this way...it's so much better!
Sam-HaikuMadFangirl chapter 1 . 1/21
I know you'll probably not care, but just gonna mention that in Irish, you don't say 'de an' but instead day 'den'. Just a friendly student from Ireland here pointing that out
SilverCoatl chapter 1 . 12/13/2016
I'm finally getting a review posted for this! Finding these Merlin stories of yours is what first got me interested in the TV series, and after watching the whole show and then reading your version, I have to say I definitely like yours better. The ending of the TV series was extremely disappointing, since what you wrote about is what I kept hoping would really happen. And considering the number of Merlin fanfics out there with a similar plotline to this, I'm not the only one.

Your story kind of assumes everyone's watching the show along with it, and it can be a bit confusing at times when you leave parts out, but overall it's really good. The banter between Arthur and Merlin is much better than most of the other Merlin stories I've read. And your version of how Merlin might use his magic officially, while still following the events of the show, is even better than I could have imagined. Thanks for writing this!
Lya200 chapter 12 . 10/12/2016
Funny story, so a few days ago, I purchased a red neckerchief and have started wearing it around my house. Now, before that, I ALWAYS wear the One Ring. I've taken to hiding the Ring underneath the scarf if I'm wearing both, but I could not think of why I did so. Well, lo and behold, I remembered this.
JayTheCow chapter 11 . 9/8/2016
Woah. That scene when Arthur confronted Uther... That was really beautiful! :O Really. Oh my gosh it was brilliant! I love how much it all fit. Like, you know how to make them talk. Arthur didn't become OOC, and neither did Uther. It was brilliant. XD kudos!
Maggie chapter 3 . 7/28/2016
This is brilliant! Loved it:D
Howarand chapter 20 . 7/20/2016
I love Liam
Lya200 chapter 77 . 7/11/2016
Originally, I was going to post my review when I was done with this book, but then came Trickler and the pranks and Gwaine's song, so I could not hold back anymore. This story, well series, actually, is incredible. I love Merlin, and when I find stories where Arthur agrees to keep Merlin's Magic a secret, I get really excited. Hence this. Keep up the good work :D
OriksGaming chapter 8 . 7/3/2016
I'm not that knowledgable about what happened when but . . . Gwaine?
KuroitsukiNoMai chapter 72 . 5/26/2016
I haven't finished this fic yet, but I had to stop and say:
When I saw THIS particular one was almost ending I was so sad cuz there are so many more seasons of Merlin. I just HAD to know if you actually did all of them so I stopped reading and went to your author page and saw that you had A DIFFERENT FIC FOR EVERY SEASON and I am so happy right now. So, so happy. Bless you. Bless you and your beautiful mind.

Anyway, back to the fic! :D In case you couldn't tell, I absolutely love it xD
2,052 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »