Reviews for Those Who Remain
Kits chapter 1 . 6/13/2008
This story still manages to get to me, no matter how many times I read it. Not only losing Jim, but Chris recalling his crew. With one sentence and nothing more, you manage to give each of them a character that makes me incredibly sad not to see anymore of them. You don't have to ramble on with stories about each of them (though, you know, feel free if the mood strikes you), but you imbue them with one salient trait that it almost makes me feel a little bit ridiculous for getting so worked up over a fictional character.

"Shoving his hands into his pockets, he ambled past Chris and took a seat at the table."

The little motions like Newkirk's innocent ambling walk, Hogan crossing over to stand beside Chris while fooling Schultz, or Chris standing as still as a statue while his eyes track Newkirk's movements just convey this wealth of humor. The quips from the boys and Metzger's strangled cries are hilarious in themselves, but the fact you can take an action and give it a wealth of humor is so amazing to me. I still get a kick out of imagining Chris prowling around the tunnels and showing up at Carter's elbow while he's playing mad scientist. I don't think I've ever managed to get through this one without laughing out loud at places, quoting others aloud to friends and family and pets, and generally finding myself completely melting at certain heart-warming scenes.

The little things, too, that I never noticed! Like how in "Fateful Laughter", when Hogan is in the windfall with Carter, he thinks back to reassuring his brother there weren't trolls in his closet-then you mention it again, and we find out it was Chris. I love the continuity you weave through there, without having to bang us on the head with, "Yes, this is a reference to my earlier story"-it works even if you haven't read it, makes perfect sense, but gives it so much more when you have.

I know I've probably left a million reviews on your stories-and if I haven't, I've been remiss-but reading them again just made me fall in love with them all over again. Particularly this one, I think. I have three older brothers and reading about Hogan's closeness to his family still gets to me. The images of him with his brother Jim in the past, the images of him with Chris now is all so perfect that it hits close to home.

So I do hope you don't mind getting random reviews left on older stories, but I couldn't help myself.
Cristy chapter 1 . 9/5/2006
There are so many aspects of this story to like, but I especially enjoyed watching Chris evolve in Hogan's mind from a little brother who was meant to be looked after and ordered about, to a man of initiative, substance and genuine courage in his own right. Chris rose to the challenges placed before him without hesitation, proving himself in his own way, and I can't help but admire such a man. These Hogan brothers are astonishing, aren't they? :)

I wonder if Jim was as extraordinary as Rob and Chris. I felt his loss keenly in the beginning of the piece and appreciated getting to know him through Hogan's poignant memories. And I have to say Klink amazed me by being touchingly sensitive and rather eloquent in his expressions of sympathy.

Thanks for giving us this glimpse into Hogan's personal life, an exciting adventure, and introducing us to Chris. The brothers learnt quite a bit about each other in their short time together, and I imagine their respect for each other has a newfound depth. Lovely read! Cristy
Christina Miller not signed in chapter 1 . 6/1/2006
That was such a good story. I love Metzger. I wish he was a canon character. I'm gonna go read more of your stories now.
HoganTime chapter 1 . 1/10/2005
I really liked this story! Great writing, keep it up!
Kate Browne chapter 1 . 12/10/2004
This story has always been and remains my favorite.
Chandlia chapter 1 . 7/29/2003
Chris Hogan is definitely one of my favorite original characters in HH Fanfiction. I'm eagerly awaiting the re-posting of "Brothers in Arms!" _
Aura chapter 1 . 3/6/2002
This was always one of my favorites. Thank you for posting. Never forget how many countless others value you as a creative writer.