Reviews for Not What it Seems
RKamelot chapter 63 . 4/27
Sorry for the late review! Life has been getting in the way, anyway, here's RK's portion of the review:

Man Jade, stop being so harsh on yourself! It kinda is sad that he keeps downing himself about the replicas because he created the technology but at the same time, if he hadn’t then a lot of good wouldn’t have happened either (Luke, Ion etc.)
Although it is interesting to see that he is trying to cover a few things from the others because he doesn’t want them to feel bad. Of course then we have some of the replicas mentioning that fomicry shouldn’t be created.
Gotta say, I keep forgetting that Ion wasn’t around in the game, since you keep adding him in places that helps to make it flow. His thoughts on the replicas are sweet and then his sorrow about not being able to use his Seventh Fonon abilities to do crowd control is very touching. Still really curious about what you’re planning to do with Ion, though hopefully it’ll come up soon!
I almost want to argue with Jade about leaving Tear behind but he really does have a point, she shouldn’t be stressing herself out so much that it’ll kill her though I don’t know whether or not the idea to leave her behind is a good one. Especially since Ion might still be planning on taking the miasma away?
But I kinda want to disagree with Ion. While it would be nice for Arietta to catch a break, I just can’t see her willingly leaving the God Generals and becoming one of the good guys if he tells her the truth. Like most people, I believe that if she learns the truth then it’ll be too much on her and she won’t want to live how she’s been living. And that in itself would be cruel, telling her that her most cherished person was replicated and then having to kill her is just wrong…..
I actually didn’t see the whole curse slot thing coming. Well I did but at the same time it wasn’t very strong in my mind. It brings up the question on what exactly Sync/Dist did to Alex. I’m a little concerned about this now, even more than I had been before. This is not likely to end well for Alex….
Gotta say, when Isabel is talking with Largo, she does have a point. Both with him actually caring about Natalia as well as mentioning that Van should’ve attempted to offer Natalia sanctuary on the New Hod. Love Isabel and her brilliance; though wish she would stay with Alex, especially with all the things going on. But I guess she’s leaving again because she wants to help Alex, grr.

Awesome chapter! Worth the wait, and the constant bugging I possibly did for you.
Also, congrats on the 400,000 word mark!

With RK's review over, I'll go ahead and give mine, here is Mara's review:

Your writing just gets better and better with time. The way that you get Jade down is very nice and I find it easy to see how he would be thinking during these situations due to you. I can agree to his hesitation about seeing the good that has come from his creation of fomicry.

The Arietta portion of the chapter makes you want to think a lot as well. On one hand it might be beneficial for the group to tell the girl yet I can’t help but think that it would come back to bite them in the butt if they were to tell her the truth. The original Ion was her everything so I really can’t see her taking it well. Plus I would feel bad for Anise no matter what since it’ll be hard on her to take that on herself since she barely is a teenager and she’s already had to go through a lot of hardships. Good way of bringing all of this out during the chapter.

I really like what you’ve done to Alex, and am rather surprised that I was rather close with my guessing about what’s causing that. I believe the only reason I didn’t immediately assume it was a curse slot was due to the fact that I hadn’t been sure Sync had infiltrated the labs at the same time as Dist, though all of the dialogue between him and Alex while in Keterberg is suddenly making more sense. The thought that Dist could make something has dangerous as a curse slot even more disastrous is very interesting and I can’t wait to see how you’re going to spin that. Good job building up the suspense on it as well, I was left guessing almost until it was finally revealed, which is something I love when reading. It also begs the question about what Ion might be able to do about it and whether or not they’re going to be able to get her out of it without forever damaging her. Plus I can’t wait to see what Guy would think about this, especially since he had been under one as well. At least they’ll have something to bond over once it’s done.

The Isabel scene is interesting as well, I enjoy the little things you added, like mentioning that she had never been into her father’s study yet Alex had, it shows good character building for her and the little time that she did spend with Alex was touching as well, and I hope she might be able to find something to help her sister.
invadergirl1998 chapter 63 . 4/27
I never would have guessed that was what was happening to her! I can't wait to see where you go with it. :)
I really liked the convo with Isabell and Largo, I wonder if that'll do anything to change what happens to him.
HowltheOneWithoutFortune chapter 63 . 4/23
Whoo! Love these long, lengthy chapters. They make it worth the wait for sure :D Although when they mention Moh's mind deteriorating because of the Seventh Fonon, I couldn't help but wonder if his mind was stable to begin with. D:

Either way, that ending makes me excited for the next chapter. Lots to look forward to! Can't wait! :)
RubyMoonz chapter 63 . 4/22
Yeah, you better thank me yo. Had to get your butt into gear. B(

Anyway, one of your 'shorter' chapters, but that didn't take away from it any. In fact, I'm pretty sure it leaves everyone wanting to know more and see what happen. Anyway, I really dig the idea that you had for why Mohs's voice could carry and like i keep forgetting that Ion isn't suppose to actually be there. It's kind of weird to imagine, to be perfectly honest.

I wouldn't have minded to see what was going on with Guy, Alex, Luke, and Tear side, but yeah. Can I also mention that you write Jade really well. He's never really out of character, not that I've ever noticed. I'm not sure, you just write him really well and that's what makes reading his POV in certain chapters really great.

Also...dat curse mark which isn't like a normal curse mark but still a curse mark in a sense.

And as always, we get to Isabell's bit. You already know how much I love her, but I'm not sure what it is. I just want the best for her. Anyway, I really like her talk with Largo. You can see that he is conflict, but you can also see Isabell is as well because she should be around Alex.

But MAN! SISTER BONDING TIME! AWWW YISSSSSSSS!

I am looking forward to the next chapter!
Riku Uzumaki chapter 63 . 4/21
Considering the new information that has presented itself, it looks like Dist and Sync have used a modified Curse Slot to turn Alex into a Manchurian Agent (TvTropes) to do SOMETHING. No idea what that something is, though, but even then that's only if Jade's guess is correct... and his guesses usually are...
...
Why do I get the feeling that Sync is going to force Alex to do something that will permanently traumatize her (possibly by killing or almost killing someone she cares about)?
WildfireDreams chapter 63 . 4/21
Well that certainly explains some things, it never even crossed my mind that he put a curse slot on her. That or I seriously need to reread stuff because I forgot you foreshadowing it XD
Callian31 chapter 4 . 4/20
LOL classic Jade. I LOVE YOOOOOOOU JADE! Guess who my favorite fictional character of all time is.
RKamelot chapter 60 . 2/23
This review is not for chapter 60! It is for chapter 62, since two people share this account and read this story, we accidentally reviewed on 62 without combining our reviews! Read at own risk!

RK's done with her review, so now I'll do mine. I've mostly been trying to figure out what's been going on with Alex and have some theories about it. Mara's review:

Now that I've read the chapters, I have a feeling that her odd personality change and the things going on with her has nothing (or very little) to do with Alex dying and being brought back to life. At first my thought was that Dist had tried something akin to what he had tried to do in Batical back when Natalia was questionable as being the Princess and that he had attempted to get Alex's replica data. Which he might've as well but I highly doubt that's the only thing that he did while in Belkend. I get the feeling that the labs being torn apart was just a diversion that his troops did while he was in with Alex.
In that regard, I get the feeling he might've injected her with something that has begun to change her way of thinking, which makes her emotions go out of whack. I almost want to say that she is now somehow connected to Sync due to his ability to control Third fonons especially since her own skill has begun to alter and become more powerful. It could possibly be similar to how Asch can control Luke but to a lesser extent, only being able to alter her dreams, especially since it's fairly clear that Alex and Guy love each other and if Sync had found out about Alex's past in any way then he could use her fears against her and have her emotional status destabilize and that could be interesting for him later on since it'll make her either less of a threat or maybe it could cause her to "join" Sync if only because she's confused.

Like RK has said a lot, we really enjoy this fic and I'm waiting with baited breath to see if I'm even remotely close to what may be going on with our favorite little injury prone trouble maker, especially since she always falls down somewhere. Is she going to fall down a hole again? It might be rather funny, especially if Jade ends up with her next and blames her for his rotten luck. Keep up the good work.
RKamelot chapter 62 . 2/23
Well, seeing as this account has two people using it and we both LOVE this fic, there will be two different reviews for it since we both can't agree to combine our reviews into one. RK's review:

Really liked the beginning of Luke's POV, it's nice to see how he thought about things when he was young and just getting to be himself. The bonding for them at that age is very nice and touching, especially since it allowed Alex to bond a little with Natalia as well, seeing as how the Princess didn't tell Alex's "father" on her when she wanted to learn how to fight with a sword. My favorite of that little section was Alex explaining to Luke that she was Alex and not just "Sister".
I actually expected a bit more for the "falling down a hole or off a cliff all the time" but maybe when they reach Jade? Or not, drat, thought they'd poke fun at her a bit more….

Poor Tear, it sucks that she's having so many issues…. Though it's funny for Luke to get so worried about her. Poor Mieu almost got forgotten! Luckily he was with the other group and didn't have to worry about being left behind in a pile of rubble.

The power usage of Alex is interesting, the way I'm picturing it in my head is kinda like how Luke does raging blast, though I'm not entirely sure that's what you were trying to have us picture. But maybe this is how she's going to form her Mystic Arte?

Way to go Luke! You're an idiot! But it was very nice of him to try and save someone and GOOD GOD! LOVE NOELLE! Never would've thought she'd go and do something like that, and then go back to being a thoughtful pilot and getting them food to eat, talk about doing a 180! Awesome with that.

That dream is a creepy factor! A little dark but well thought out and again, I have a feeling it's a clue, but not sure what it is for. Let's face it, I'm not going to get it until it's spelled out for me. But at least Guy is being supportive! Though it's a little worrisome that the only reason Alex wouldn't go after the Duke is because it'd hurt Luke, but it shows she cares what he thinks, which is nice!

Cheesy lines! Love the "good luck charm"! Aws.

And of course Jade being Jade without explaining things until it's too late, good grief! Though I'm looking forward to where you're taking that one.

This chapter has really got me wanting to read more and find out JUST WHAT IS WRONG WIT ALEX! I'm dying to know! Keep the amazingness flowing!
kingsherbert chapter 62 . 2/23
Great chapter as always. The dream really caught my interest, and her opinions on the Duke.

Somehow I get the feeling what's going on with Alex has more to do with Sync than Dist, with his taunts, but maybe that's just me. Dist obviously has something to do with it to though, hm.
Guess I won't know until you update next.
RubyMoonz chapter 62 . 2/23
Okay, I didn't mention when I was talking to you but when I first read the chapter, I kind of laughed because I was just like 'Flashback mode!'. Still, it was nice to see more on Alex and Luke's relationship, especially in regards to Natalia. It's interesting to see all of this.

But onward to the chapter. It was a good chapter. You provided more clues to what's going on with Alex, but since you already told me what it was, I still want to stick with the fact that people may not guess it exactly because of the reasons I told you. But hey! You never know!

I have to say, though, that the top moment of this chapter goes to Noelle because dayyyum gurl, you got this!

That dream though...maybe it'll give people more of an idea? Anyway, I'm excited to see what happens next because come on, let's be real. We all want to know what's up with Alex so she can be her beautiful and snarky self. We all miss that yo!

I hope the monthly updates work for you though! I know it can be hard to keep going on a steady pace. oTL
WildfireDreams chapter 62 . 2/23
Awesome! Cannot wait for more!
mayonaya chapter 62 . 2/22
Loved the scene with litgtle luke in the beginning. :3
As for Alex..mmm. I have no idea (lol your name). But I'm excited to find out soon! I hope we'll get normal Alex back soon! Please update quickly! I wonder what's gonna happen to Tear.
invadergirl1998 chapter 62 . 2/22
I can't wait to find out why Alex is acting so different! I miss how she normally acts. :( I hope Jade figures it out and gets her back to normal soon.

Please update soon!
Riku Uzumaki chapter 62 . 2/21
The dream seems to point that Dist may have turned her into some sort of sleeper agent. Either that, or switched her out with a replica that can somehow remember everything the original went through. Personally, the sleeper agent theory seems much more likely.