Reviews for The One That Walked Away
Darrakk chapter 1 . 4/6/2013
"The next chapter will cover from when Zuko joins the Gaang to the end of the series. It'll probably be 2000-3000 words, so a lot longer than this one."

Where is the next chapter?! Finally a fic that recognises the fact that Katara walked away first, and then no update! It's such a good story, well written and wonderful and Not Finished! Please continue it.
Krys and Mel chapter 1 . 7/5/2012
SO. FREAKING. SAD. GAH, why do I do this to myself? DX Please post your other chapters. I am not opposed to the length, and we need some decent fics on this site and yours are amazing.
Crazy Dyslexic Nerd chapter 1 . 1/19/2012
I agree, not enough people think about the fact that, other then accasionally saving his life, Aang and Katara (I purposefully don't include Sokka or Toph, they're both rather blunt), have done little but break promises and endanger his crews life. After surrendering, Aang's escape would technically break his promise, if it'd been Zhou, the Southern Watertribe wou;d cease to exist. When Aang and Katara froze/pushed overboard anyone, especially if they weren't a firebender, hypothermia could be a big problem. I like how you wrote this.

-DYslexic Nerd
ArianaRae chapter 1 . 1/3/2011
Oh very nice... I never thought about it that way. Awaiting the next chapter; you have a very nice writing style.
ZukoPlusKatara4ever chapter 1 . 12/17/2010
X.X ... I LOVE IT! PLease UPDATE!
Son Akito chapter 1 . 12/14/2010
Wow, this story was simply awesome. Poor Zuko can't trust anyone :(
Elantrian chapter 1 . 11/27/2010
I think that this is the best representation of what happened in that cave that I've ever seen. I don't think Zuko owed the gaang anything when he made his decision between Aang and Azula. So I'm glad that somebody else thinks the same thing I do and doesn't make Zuko the whiney bad guy who up and betrayed Katara when as you said she walked away first.
AlleluiaElizabeth chapter 1 . 10/27/2010
Honestly, this view of events had never occurred to me before. At least, it hasn't been presented quite like this. Its a really good point. I mean, I give Katara the benefit of the doubt. I assume she's thinking that its ok to walk away right now b/c she'll get the chance to heal him later, that right now Iroh needs to talk to him and that's more important. But, even if this is the case, *Zuko* certainly doesn't know that. And, with his history, I suppose this fic is exactly what his thoughts would be like. Nice job. :)
Zolarix Aster chapter 1 . 10/3/2010
I agree. Granted, in my head they had only talked for about five minutes, half of which were spent yelling at him, so it was less of a betrayal anyway, but I really like your take on it.

I'm not really a Zutara fan, but I'm looking forward to the next chapter!
S0M3TiiM3S chapter 1 . 9/19/2010
I love your different view on this whole "you've changed" thing. I never thought of it through Zuko's POV. You wrote it really well and I can't wait for the enxt part :D
ClubSauce chapter 1 . 9/17/2010
There aren't enough stories of this quality on fanfiction. I can't wait for your next update!
cuzimaw3som317 chapter 1 . 9/15/2010
i like this one. it's a new twist. i like how it explains why Zuko made his decision. everyone always says that he does it "because he thought it was the right thing to do." i like the originality, and i like the new take on Crossroads.
AnnaAza chapter 1 . 9/14/2010
You know, I thought the same thing! It is sort of Katara's fault; she sort of promised him to heal his scar and she gave him hope. THEN she runs off to Aang and leaves him. Does she say "come along with us, Zuko" or even a "I promise I'll heal your scar later"? No!
I.Doughbot chapter 1 . 9/14/2010
If this story were a pizza i'd eat it, regurgitate it then eat it again cos it's that damn good.

I've always thought that Zuko's pov was overlooked in the series esp. in Crossroads & Southern Raiders, so reading this was like Christmas come early. Thank you so much!
pyroaquaterrian chapter 1 . 9/14/2010
Loved it, please continue...

By the way, I agree with you 100%, Zuko did NOT betray Katara during the "The Crossroads of Destiny" episode... For God sake they weren't even allies yet, technically they were still enemies. Something she never shied away from when it came to reminding him of that fact while they were trapped in that cave.

But more importantly and as you correctly pointed out in your story, it was 'she' (meaning Katara) that was the first to turn here back on Zuko, not the other way around after making numerous promises but conveniently forgot when Aang and Iroh appeared. Furthermore, it was the Avatar who made it pretty clear that he still considered Zuko 'persona non grata' a.k.a. 'The Enemy'. If anything Zuko might have hurt Katara's 'feelings' after he erroneously chose to side Azula... But he did that out of frustration and anger mostly. Probably felt 'used' and then abused when he was unceremoniously tossed to the side by Katara after the Avatar reappeared with Iroh in the cave. Something which I'm sure Zuko experienced numerous of time growing up in the Fire Nation capital under the thumb of a tyrannical, violent, physically and mentally abusive father, a psychotic and murderous sister, countless henchmen like Zhao, and so on... Yes, Zuko was no stranger to disappointment, hurt, and betrayal... So, I'm not at all surprised that he allowed his emotions to get the better of him once again before choosing to side with Azula.

After all, Katara proved to be quite a schemer herself... Whether consciously or not Katara one can make an argument that the offer to heal Zuko's scar came with some sort of a price attached... In fact, I suspect in the back of her mind she hoped that she could somehow manipulate Zuko into eventually becoming Aang's fire bending teacher if she was successful in healing his scar. After all, as Toph kept reminding everyone "Katara was use to getting what she wanted." So why would she pass up that opportunity to prove that point again?

No, if Zuko betrayed anyone that day it was Iroh. Katara only got her 'feelings' hurt and possibly her ego on the fateful day, while Zuko felt used and discarded once again after the water tribe girl and the Avatar turned their backs to him and walked away. Thus fueling his anger, which later contributed to his regrettable decision.

Also, wasn't it Katara's fault that Zuko found himself once again imprisoned by Azula? I mean imagine after everything that happened to him over the course of his life, and especially the last 6 years he once again finds himself wronged, trapped, humiliated, destitute, beaten, facing possible further torture and a public execution at the hands of either his tyrannical father or equally psychotic sister. And all that is because of a water tribe girl who claims that your 'face' had always represented "the face of the enemy" to her, even though later she conveniently claims that's not what she completely meant to say... Gee, thanks Katara. Thanks for that Freudian slip.

In fact, I found myself even more confused later on after Zuko joined the gAang when her resentment and hostility toward Zuko came across more as that of a jilted lover than that of someone that was betrayed. And I know I wasn't the only one who felt that way-millions of other loyal fans did and said so.