Reviews for Old Roads: Pitiless Games
White Ivy chapter 16 . 12/29/2013
This was a really great series. I'm sad, there's not more, but grateful that you wrote as much as you did. Thanks for giving me the pleasure of reading such an enjoyable journey.
Vadriel chapter 16 . 4/5/2013
I loved this whole series. I'm sad for it to end. Thank you for sharing your tale, Tjadis!
KalikaStorm chapter 16 . 5/16/2012
just a quick review.

I was late finding this and managed to read it all start to end. I loved it and am now going to look at other stuff you've done.

greedy me, always wanting more :)

great read, great writing, a pleasure to read.
Psyche Sinclair chapter 16 . 12/31/2011
This series was an incredible read. It's rare to find such intricate, far-reaching plotting that feels about as cannon as the games, and I congratulate you for doing so.

And now, I have to go and read your Andraste story, because I promised myself that I would plow through Old Roads first. :3
Judy chapter 16 . 8/23/2011
I came back and reread this story and find it just as interesting the second time (or is this the third?)! THANK YOU!
Shanda27 chapter 16 . 8/3/2011
*contented sigh* As exciting as it was to get the email every time you updated an Old Roads story, there's something to be said for reading it, start to finish, at once. Some things that confused me or weren't clear, with time and life occurring between chapters, clicked right away when taken all at once. Or, over the course of a few days, since this is quite an extensive tale you've given us. Bravo, brilliant, and thank you.
BlackLeatherRain chapter 16 . 6/24/2011
Thank. You.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I've needed a good cry, and I honestly didn't realize it. Chapters 13 and 14? Oh dear Lord. I honestly thought earlier in the story that you were going to make me cry by killing a dog. No, you did something far worse - you showed me the power of Faith. Maker.

Old Roads - all parts of it - was an incredible read. Thank you. This was outstanding.
Grannaah chapter 16 . 6/5/2011
"Thank you, everyone, for coming on this crazy ride with me. I hope it was worth it!"

Oh it was worth it. It was worth every minute, every hour I spent reading it.

Felicea chapter 16 . 5/21/2011
Holee shit.

I discovered Waking Hours about five days ago, and when I finished it the same day I was incredibly happy that there was a sequel. And then another, and then another, and then I was a little sad that it looked like the latest part was yet unfinished. And then I noticed that you'd updated it recently, which meant that you hadn't abandoned it, and I was incredibly happy again. A few days later, I finished Unstrung Harmonies, and noticed that the latest part was actually finished.

I can't believe I caught this right at the end, when I wouldn't have to wait for stories to update and be finished. Eight days prior to now, I'd never even thought of looking up Dragon Age fanfiction. Now, I've read a story that is, quite possibly, one of the greatest pieces of fanfiction ever written.

I don't mean that in just a writing-praiseworthy way. Yes, these have been amazingly well-written, but that's not even remotely all. Everything is supremely well thought-out, and nothing is left in the air at the end - or at least nothing is that required explanation. It's great not only because it's enjoyable to read, but also because it is a great endeavor that is finished, and that never dips in quality. I am amazed and shocked at how much was put into this, and how it shows.

Nothing I can say could accurately express how I felt when reading this story. There is much praise that I could throw at you. I love that Cullen was given a place in this; he was the first character that I truly adored in the game. I love that a relationship that wasn't even possible to be hinted at in the game - that of Cullen and Zevran - was pulled off with so much skill that I truly believed it. I love the extra parts that you inserted into the lore, the story, the history of the Fade. And I have yet to read any of the side stories, but I know I will be amazed again at just how much effort you put into making sure all of those insertions make perfect sense.

But mostly, I wanted to thank you. Thank you for writing this, thank you for putting so much love into something that you didn't have to do, and thank you for letting the world read it.
Graffiti My Soul chapter 16 . 5/21/2011
...It's over.

...I feel like it shouldn't be, I want there to be more because oh my god this has been the best DAO read of my life, but there's also definitely a sense of finality, that at the very least, this particular story is over.

...I don't even have words right now. I have been reading Old Roads obsessively for almost 3 days now, in between school and meals and a few hours of sleep. It is currently almost 5am and I've been reading Pitiless Games since about 1. I couldn't stop, I honestly just couldn't.

I've fallen in love with your characters and smiled and laughed and wanted to cry and seen everything fall into place against all logic. It's not a perfect ending. Everyone isn't happy. In fact, that they all split up at the end, despite my wishes, is probably the thing that makes this so real. That everything is not all butterflies and sparkles, that it is possible to find love in the middle of darkness (hurrah quoting Alistair) and recover from betrayal and sometimes sacrifices do get made. And you have to move on.

I think the amount of interpreting you've done on canon as well as the things you've brought from your own imagination are absolutely incredible. I've gone through every page that comes up if you set the DAO fiction filter to "completed" and "English", and I am almost positive this is the most in-depth series I have come across. The characterization, the dialogue, the plot twists, the magic - I am so, so happy to read an Amell story that honestly does bring a true feeling of the unreal during appropriate scenes.

I wish I could write more. I really do, but I'm still kind of reeling from the fact that I've finished this. I would love love love to see more, perhaps bits from this verse that didn't quite fit into the overall story, but I think this is one of the few times where I've read a particularly lengthy bit of work and not been disappointed by the ending or felt like there were things left unsolved. You left the ending open - clearly, there is more, the characters aren't dead or anything and there's going to hell pretty soon, but I don't feel like there's anything left loose.

...Wow. That's really This has surpassed all my expectations when I first picked it up - I kept seeing various installments of Old Roads in people's favorited list, and after I came across it for about the 50th time, I figured I had to take a look at it to see what was so great. And I completely understand now. Thank you so much for writing this. It's been a truly amazing read.
Graffiti My Soul chapter 2 . 5/20/2011
I've been blazing through this entire series over the past 3 days and...I can't stop, I really just can't.

I can't even believe how plausible and real you've made the connection between Kathil, Cullen and Zevran. I don't even like Jowan at ALL from the game, and I'm pretty sure I'm half in love with his character right now.

...It seems you finished Pitiless Games while I was working my way through the others, so I'll leave a proper review on everything in general once I finish this. I'm not a huge fan of having to stop in between chapters for reviewing XD
Jenna53 chapter 16 . 5/20/2011
It is hard to believe this is the end. I have been reading this for so long it has become part of my life. I will miss it, but it was a great story. Not always easy to read, but worth the effort. And I loved the ending. Thanks.
Aziethe chapter 16 . 5/20/2011
I only just caught up. Nice weaving of Anora and her family into the fabric of Kirkwall. The showdown with the Chantry was pretty epic, and I'm glad it didn't resolve with a blood bath at all.

I was surprised that you let both Jowan and Kathil live, however. I was glad that Kathil survived, but once Jowan's pov took over I was sure that he was going to be the sacrificial lamb. Saving both of them seemed a bit... unlikely. Possibly I've been reading too muc Martin where you expect pov characters to be maimed or killed on a regular basis.

I didn't realise you'd written out an entire text for the Canticle. That was beautiful; the rhythm and language felt very canon.

Old Roads may be finished, but with that many DA2 plothooks, I find it hard to believe that the series is over, although of course I could be completely wrong. In any case, thank you for such an epic story, it's been wonderful - one of the few fics I actively looked forward to reading every time.
Judy chapter 16 . 5/19/2011
Thank you so much for this excellent story. I hope to see more from you. Have a good rest and thank you again!
Raven Jadewolfe chapter 16 . 5/19/2011
loved the little girl covered in mud lol