Reviews for What Makes a Hero
I'm the "guest" from the eighth of December, hi! I uh, I was so nervous to post that comment I didn't check for a reply and then well...things got busy, I started writing more and I forgot to check. I saw you're still updating the sequel though, and I'm actually rereading the first (again, currently Link's got a broken arm at Snowpeak) so I can read the sequel and keep up with it, I'm so excited to get to it! I've actually been reading through this outloud if I can as audiobook voice practice, the way you write characters is so dianamic it makes it easy to throw you're voice around the emotions (I'm far from a professional and I feel a bit weird asking as I don't know you at all, but if you'd ever like to have your work turned to audio format, I very much enjoy it and am having a lot of fun just practicing with it).
I'm rambling at this point my apologies, just know that your work still brings immeasurable amounts of joy. See you in the sequel!
RandomButLoved chapter 67 . 2/22
Hoo boy, reading this again has really been a journey. This last chapter actually brought tears to my eyes. I've been through things since I last properly read this story, and I really connect with Link towards the end - that hopelessness, that lonliness, that unfillable void. I'm better now, but the way you wrote (particularly the end, but the entire story) this is just so beautiful. The image of Link at the bottom of the stairs in Arbiter's Keep after Midna leaves has always stayed for me, and I can't wait to see him find get some sense of a happy ending in WHF c:
Hope chapter 68 . 1/15
Okay, wow! So I have this thing where I can't cry when I read books. No matter what I just can't. Somehow, you have successfully brought me to complete tears with this, though! This was such a good story, but it was so sad!
You are an amazing author, and you should be very proud of yourself.
Man, you did really good with the character development. Each character had their own struggles that they overcame. Some didn't all get a happy ending, though.
I will most definitely go and check out the sequel, and hopefully I will stop crying.
Anyway, great job! I hope you have a great day!
Selphie Kinneas 175 chapter 1 . 12/8/2020
Dear "guest" below me:
Since you are not logged in I have no way to directly reply to you, so I can only hope you will see this comment. Your review is so precious to me, and it warms my heart to hear how much of an impact my writing has had on you. I am so glad to have been able to provide you with something truly special that you carry with you. However, I have not abandoned the sequel! I have vowed to never quit something I've started, and I will keep that promise. The sequel is still continuously updated. The previous chapter was uploaded around a month ago and a new chapter is going up this Friday. I hope it provides you with even more joy and excitement and I wish you the absolute best :)
Guest chapter 1 . 12/8/2020
This was posted a long time ago now, and I've read it twice over and am going to start reading it again because I love it so much. being as it is and me being kinda dumb with these sites i just realized I could comment, so I have a few things I'd like to say, and even if you dont respond I still hope you see this so you know just how much this story means to me
This was the first video game novelization I ever read, I didnt know people did things like this and a year ago I really got into twilight princess again and decided to look for some fan content. I had wondered if there was a story of someone simply telling an adventurous tale rather than ship content (which is great too but not what I was looking for) so I did some googling and found this.
This epic masterpiece, in my humble opinion, made me fall in love with the game even more. The way you portrayed Links past and his relationship with the characters and the way you took such care writing each character themselves breathed new life into the game for me. The different turns you took to spin a compelling story that was your own adventure first and a retelling of a game second absolutely blew my mind. Battles had me on the edge of my seat, Link and Midna's growing relationship and witty (read petty) banter provided much needed comedic relief and I am not ashamed to admit I bawled my eyes out at some parts as your wonderful writing never failed to evoke an emotional response when it was needed. You took something that meant so much to me in my teen years and polished it with gold.
Not only did this offer a newfound appreciation for twilight princess for me, but when I began playing Breath of the Wild it let me see the game from the get go in a story teller's perspective, and inspired me to add relationships and lore of my own in an already rich open world game, and inspired me to begin writing a novelization of my own on botw. All of this joy and creativity provided simply because you decided to write and share such a wonderful creation on the internet.
I'm left speechless every single time I decide to reread this, and now, all few chapters in coming back to leave this comment I'm already just as invested in the storyline as i was the very first time i read this. Even what you had written of the sequel was absolutely riveting, though as a fanfic writer with a life outside of story crafting i absolutely understand any and all reasons you had not to continue it, this is absolutely not a cry demanding content.
I just really wanted to stress how many hours of joy you've given me, from this and the inspiration to make things of my own. This story is heavy, well written and epic in its proportions, and I am so very grateful you decided to write it. Wherever you are in life right now I hope you're doing well. Best wishes, from one writer to another. -
Thank you.
Jane Keybored chapter 67 . 11/16/2020
(Ch 67) So, I found this story round-about by reading the summary of your current story, the sequel, in which you warned us new readers to read this one first! And instead of taking the time to do that, I skipped to the end. I only read this final chapter. But, I’m taking the time to write this review because I enjoyed it so much. Having never played TP (only watched some gameplay on YouTube, read some ffn), I’m not a big Midna fan. But even just this final chapter gave me a good impression of how your Link feels about her, and feels about being separated. Such a heartbreaking narrative. First, for Link. Then for Ilia. I think you did a great job describing the pain he’s going through, as well as his emptiness, as he’s finally forced to reckon with Ilia. Don’t know if I’ll attempt the sequel or not, but NICE JOB with this chapter!
hcook10 chapter 68 . 10/30/2020
I think you mistitled chapter 68 and I'm unsure why you accidentally made a sequel about your actual alternate ending, becuase my TP headcannon OTP is Link and Midna with whatever gets leftover for Zelda (we all have those confusing teenage times sorry Malon...sorry I mean Iola) lol.
Sarely chapter 45 . 10/15/2020
I just loved this fan fiction so much.
ThePredicate chapter 68 . 10/8/2020
I can't tell you how much my mind is STILL trying to teject the canon ending, haha. This is so sweet :)

Will the new stories be posted here too? I can't really afford to do donations these days :(
cakeswarden chapter 68 . 10/3/2020
I am absolutely speechless. I just finished through this entire story for the first time. I’m not the kind of person to ship fictional characters, ever. Midna & Link have always been the exception. Their bond is easily the best and most well developed the series has ever seen. It is the heart and sole of this story and I have to give you the utmost amount of praise for how impeccably you captured it. Midna is my favorite character in the series, and it is crystal clear how much care you put into getting both her and Link’s characterization, motivations, and development absolutely pitch perfect.

There were a handful of moments where I thought I didn’t like where the story was going but then you subverted my expectations time and time again, giving me something so much more than I ever could have wanted or figured out for myself. I guess the only criticism I can even think of, is the first fight between Renado and Rusl about Link having to use his broken arm in the Temple Of Time. It seemed a little strange Renado was the one feeling guilty and having to apologize when I thought Rusl was way more in the wrong by blowing up the way he did. Not that his motivation didn’t make sense, it just seemed the story played it like Renado was more in the wrong. Now I could be completely wrong myself and could have misread something. It’s such a tiny tiny detail and it didn’t detract from my enjoyment in the story at all.

I hope you’re proud of the work you’ve done here, I had such an incredible time with this story and I can’t wait to read the sequel. You better believe I’m going to start supporting on Patreon. Keep up the exceptional work!
Guest chapter 68 . 9/26/2020
To what makes a hero

I don't know how to out this into words since I just finished crying, but wow, this story is amazing. Had me tearing up and chuckling at several parts. I found it through a comic of the jellyfish scene and the artist recommended this. I was hesitant at first since I didn't know what to expect from a novelization but wow was I blown away. Every side character had some kind of story to them, even though I've been through Twilight Princess a few times already this just made everything feel so new and fresh. Link got a backstory! We got to know the people he grew up with and why we should care about them! My favorite parts were definitely the interactions between Midna and Link. Ughhh they were so cute and Midna's character arc was so well written and it just made the scene of her leaving hit that much harder. I kept wishing and hoping there was some way, any way for her to stay, just give this poor guy a happy ending he deserves it but in the end... I love how real you made the story feel, with the injuries and emotions in it. Being a hero isn't all its cracked up to be and I really felt it when the emotional and mental tolls began to take on him. Of course this journey would run him into the ground, but like this? Ouch. It hurts. It hurts a lot. Yet I can't help but read on. Why can't you people just communicate... I mean I know why but still...

Thanks for the experience. You have a beautiful way with words, and here's hoping Link gets his happy ending. But judging by the title of the sequel...

Well, I admit I well prefer this ending to Canon, sucker for happy endings, but the actual one did feel more realistic. Anyhow, I'm excited for what comes next.
PotatoNcola chapter 67 . 9/19/2020
Omg! I love this so much!
LoveGlutton chapter 68 . 9/16/2020
A remaster?

Well I can’t imagine what you could possibly remaster to improve this, but, artists are their own biggest critics I suppose.

...I do look forward to seeing midna’s pov... if only to watch the exact moment she fell in love with link
RandomButLoved chapter 68 . 9/15/2020
Oh man so many things to digest! Firstly, I loved this chapter so much it's so sweet but also so sad because it's not what happens, but it's just so sweet that you wrote this! c: I'm so excited to see all the new things that are coming! I love this story so much and I can't wait to see what the future holds for you!
TheChargingRhino chapter 68 . 9/15/2020
I freaked out when I saw this in my inbox. Amazing alternate ending Selphie.
2,135 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »