Reviews for What Makes a Hero
Melese chapter 67 . 4/26
This has been an absolutely beautiful ride. You've breathed such life into Twilight Princess with all the additional character interactions and emotions, and I loved following Link and Midna the entire way through.
AirGuitar035 chapter 68 . 1/23
Aaaand done.

This is likely the best Zelda fanfic I have ever read. Granted, Twilight Princess is my all-time favourite Zelda game, but nonetheless. This fic has all the makings of a master writer who understands the source material through and through. This reads like a perfect adaptation of the game, and the extra bits you added to make the story more visceral blend seamlessly, as if they could have been taken from the game itself. The prologue and epilogues you've added are so well done, that I think they'll be my headcanon for whenever I revisit the game. The callbacks to Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword were also very welcome nods to the greater Zelda franchise, and weren't out of place in the slightest.

All I can really do is say thank you for this story, and I dearly hope that one day, I'll be able to write a fic as amazing as this.

Stay healthy!
Basedman chapter 68 . 10/12/2021
This fanfiction should be titled "Stockholm Syndrome: Masochist Edition".
Citizen of The Twilight Realm chapter 66 . 8/26/2021
This was by far the best thing I have EVER READ. And I mean that with the deepest sincerity in my heart. This was incredible. I laughed, I cried, I fell to floor not knowing what my emotions were on the line I just read, it was just so, good. I need to go read when heroes fall because this was absolutely amazing. You took my favorite thing in the entirety of the universe, and made me feel even sadder during midna’s lament and sorrow for the burden that is held on link’s shoulders. I wish this was a real book and that I could hold this magnificent creation in the palms of my hands. Twilight Princess is by far my favorite Zelda game - no my favorite video game - in the entire world. I’m just so, speechless. This is just so amazing. I love it, I love it with all my heart. Thank you for this. (Just one comment though, I basically fell to the floor and muttered “they f***ing did it!” Ilia and link doing it came as an utter shock to me even though I saw it coming as soon as ilia kissed him) Anyhoo, this was soooo good and I just loved every second of it. Thank you for this gift! ️️️️️
bermellon chapter 24 . 7/18/2021
well, the story is interesting. although you want to give it a realistic touch. Remember that Hyrule is a magical world. at least give him a red Chuchu or a Fairy.
and the sword shouldn't feel heavy. he is the master. the sword has to be another extension of his body.
In BOTW Link, he has an outfit depending on the circumstances.
So the Hero's Robe should be magic, right? like dimensional pockets.
I'm writing it down because it's funny.
cofcofSnowPeakcofcof. and not die of hypothermia cofcof.
thanks for the story.
wow! 10 years
my respects.
SpectacularSpidey chapter 67 . 7/12/2021
no right to make the story this sad...no right

on another note, I freaking loved this story! you wrote everything with feeling and it is very obvious that you cared about the story. I cried the entirety of the last few chapters, I will definitely be checking out your sequel story, midlink is my life and this was just so beautiful and heartbreaking
SpectacularSpidey chapter 57 . 7/11/2021
although, they would all know of the skyward sword hero and the four swords hero, so they could be talking about them and not oot
SpectacularSpidey chapter 57 . 7/11/2021
I believe there was another hero between oot and tp. or the people knew about termina and what link did there as well, but that one doesn't make sense
SpectacularSpidey chapter 24 . 7/5/2021
I get you want it to be more realistic and all, but with three layers of armor, an arrow would not do much more than nick him and fall off. he has a layer of gamberson underneath chainmail, and a leather tunic on top of that. an arrow would barely get through the tunic itself, then have to deal with the chain mail (which im guessing cant break bc its godly armor). it would hurt and he'd be really hurt, but it would not make him bleed too much. a sword however, would cut him enough to cause that amount of damage. its just the amount of arrows managing to harm him this badly is kinda absurd, but its nothing too bad. plus it's already a completed story and a well written one at that. just kinda annoying that its done this much so often. the arrow in the calf was good tho, I liked that
Guest chapter 68 . 3/19/2021
I'm the "guest" from the eighth of December, hi! I uh, I was so nervous to post that comment I didn't check for a reply and then well...things got busy, I started writing more and I forgot to check. I saw you're still updating the sequel though, and I'm actually rereading the first (again, currently Link's got a broken arm at Snowpeak) so I can read the sequel and keep up with it, I'm so excited to get to it! I've actually been reading through this outloud if I can as audiobook voice practice, the way you write characters is so dianamic it makes it easy to throw you're voice around the emotions (I'm far from a professional and I feel a bit weird asking as I don't know you at all, but if you'd ever like to have your work turned to audio format, I very much enjoy it and am having a lot of fun just practicing with it).
I'm rambling at this point my apologies, just know that your work still brings immeasurable amounts of joy. See you in the sequel!
RandomButLoved chapter 67 . 2/22/2021
Hoo boy, reading this again has really been a journey. This last chapter actually brought tears to my eyes. I've been through things since I last properly read this story, and I really connect with Link towards the end - that hopelessness, that lonliness, that unfillable void. I'm better now, but the way you wrote (particularly the end, but the entire story) this is just so beautiful. The image of Link at the bottom of the stairs in Arbiter's Keep after Midna leaves has always stayed for me, and I can't wait to see him find get some sense of a happy ending in WHF c:
Hope chapter 68 . 1/15/2021
Okay, wow! So I have this thing where I can't cry when I read books. No matter what I just can't. Somehow, you have successfully brought me to complete tears with this, though! This was such a good story, but it was so sad!
You are an amazing author, and you should be very proud of yourself.
Man, you did really good with the character development. Each character had their own struggles that they overcame. Some didn't all get a happy ending, though.
I will most definitely go and check out the sequel, and hopefully I will stop crying.
Anyway, great job! I hope you have a great day!
Selphie Kinneas 175 chapter 1 . 12/8/2020
Dear "guest" below me:
Since you are not logged in I have no way to directly reply to you, so I can only hope you will see this comment. Your review is so precious to me, and it warms my heart to hear how much of an impact my writing has had on you. I am so glad to have been able to provide you with something truly special that you carry with you. However, I have not abandoned the sequel! I have vowed to never quit something I've started, and I will keep that promise. The sequel is still continuously updated. The previous chapter was uploaded around a month ago and a new chapter is going up this Friday. I hope it provides you with even more joy and excitement and I wish you the absolute best :)
Guest chapter 1 . 12/8/2020
This was posted a long time ago now, and I've read it twice over and am going to start reading it again because I love it so much. being as it is and me being kinda dumb with these sites i just realized I could comment, so I have a few things I'd like to say, and even if you dont respond I still hope you see this so you know just how much this story means to me
This was the first video game novelization I ever read, I didnt know people did things like this and a year ago I really got into twilight princess again and decided to look for some fan content. I had wondered if there was a story of someone simply telling an adventurous tale rather than ship content (which is great too but not what I was looking for) so I did some googling and found this.
This epic masterpiece, in my humble opinion, made me fall in love with the game even more. The way you portrayed Links past and his relationship with the characters and the way you took such care writing each character themselves breathed new life into the game for me. The different turns you took to spin a compelling story that was your own adventure first and a retelling of a game second absolutely blew my mind. Battles had me on the edge of my seat, Link and Midna's growing relationship and witty (read petty) banter provided much needed comedic relief and I am not ashamed to admit I bawled my eyes out at some parts as your wonderful writing never failed to evoke an emotional response when it was needed. You took something that meant so much to me in my teen years and polished it with gold.
Not only did this offer a newfound appreciation for twilight princess for me, but when I began playing Breath of the Wild it let me see the game from the get go in a story teller's perspective, and inspired me to add relationships and lore of my own in an already rich open world game, and inspired me to begin writing a novelization of my own on botw. All of this joy and creativity provided simply because you decided to write and share such a wonderful creation on the internet.
I'm left speechless every single time I decide to reread this, and now, all few chapters in coming back to leave this comment I'm already just as invested in the storyline as i was the very first time i read this. Even what you had written of the sequel was absolutely riveting, though as a fanfic writer with a life outside of story crafting i absolutely understand any and all reasons you had not to continue it, this is absolutely not a cry demanding content.
I just really wanted to stress how many hours of joy you've given me, from this and the inspiration to make things of my own. This story is heavy, well written and epic in its proportions, and I am so very grateful you decided to write it. Wherever you are in life right now I hope you're doing well. Best wishes, from one writer to another. -
Thank you.
Jane Keybored chapter 67 . 11/16/2020
(Ch 67) So, I found this story round-about by reading the summary of your current story, the sequel, in which you warned us new readers to read this one first! And instead of taking the time to do that, I skipped to the end. I only read this final chapter. But, I’m taking the time to write this review because I enjoyed it so much. Having never played TP (only watched some gameplay on YouTube, read some ffn), I’m not a big Midna fan. But even just this final chapter gave me a good impression of how your Link feels about her, and feels about being separated. Such a heartbreaking narrative. First, for Link. Then for Ilia. I think you did a great job describing the pain he’s going through, as well as his emptiness, as he’s finally forced to reckon with Ilia. Don’t know if I’ll attempt the sequel or not, but NICE JOB with this chapter!
2,144 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »