Reviews for Christmas Dinner
Takato the dreamer chapter 1 . 10/10/2012
Great story as always! xD
DigitalFlagDancer chapter 1 . 5/26/2012
I enjoyed this story as well. The bond between the two, and Jenrya's being there for Takato. His father's dialogue was well written as well.

My favorite line: "Exactly! No ten year old is that stupid!"

Also Mr. Li's "Taka...yuki..." bit.
Ian R. Moros chapter 1 . 5/12/2011
As I read more and more of your stories, I think your greatest strength is probably your dialogue. You have a fantastic sense for showing the chemistry between characters. Jen and Takato work great, of course, but it's everyone else too. With only a line or two the reader gets an immediate, strong impression of how the different characters interrelate. I'm more than a little jealous of your ability to write dialogue that's both natural and compelling. My hat goes off to you.

Now that does lead into a weakness I've started to notice. Your storytelling does create an impression of where things are taking place, who's there, and what objects are, but you hardly provide any descriptions of these things! The audience has no idea what 17-year-old Jen and Takato look like, or what they're wearing, or what kind of decorations are hung up in the Matsudas' bakery. I can see how you might want to avoid it, seeing as it might break up the narrative flow, and if you're not careful it's easy to have too much description, but I do think it could use a little more than what we've got here. It seems particularly weird when there are these paragraphs sprinkled throughout that tell the audience about an earlier event, so we know more about what happened years earlier than we do about things that are going on right this very moment.

I think this story's theme of family comes through very well. This is not, in fact, a story all about Takato's coming out to his family. Scenes like Jen shopping for candy in the beginning, or Rinchei and Jaarin setting up their Christmas eve breakfast prove that. It's a broader look at family, mostly Jen's but also Takato's, and the bond that makes Jen and Takato effectively family as well. The narrative brings this out well in both the humor and drama, and this reinforces the underlying message that family are the people who know you better than anyone else, the people we are going to be with whether we like it or not. But even if they drive us crazy at times (Jaarin eyes Rinchei) there's still love there. Even if we disappoint them (Takato avoids eye contact) they won't leave us. Families support one another even when the going gets rough (Jen holds Takato's hand.) It's a nice message, even if reality doesn't always live up to it.

There are also three pictures in play, here: the two polaroids and Takato's gift to Jen. I'd have to be a fool to think there wasn't something more to that, wouldn't I? Well whatever it is it's lost on me. They're all romantic photographs of Jen and Takato, with the polaroids being comically inverted with regard to whose turn it is to be embarrassed and whose turn it is to be the one doing the kissing. Incidentally, who has polaroid cameras anymore? This is Shinjuku in the 2000's! How do these two families not have a single digital camera between them? The only thing you couldn't do with a digital camera in this story that you get from using polaroids is throwing the first polaroid in the garbage bin, where it disappears for the rest of the story. Gah! If only I knew what Jen's gift to Takato was it might fill in the blanks on this one. That gift got just as much buildup as Takato's did! What is it, Marsellus Wallace's soul or something?

Right, right, deep breaths. Sorry about that. We return you to your regularly-scheduled review. Okay, let's talk about Takehiro. I honestly can't bring myself to hold this one against him. Why, you ask? Simple. Takato chose probably the worst possible way to come out to them, short of throwing a parade. He let his dad make a fool of himself at the Lis' house going on about his son's 'mystery girlfriend', and then when the reveal does happen it's done in such a way that Takehiro is trapped. The food is cooked, Jen is there, the whole buildup, if he reacts with anything less than instant acceptance he winds up looking like the bad guy in that situation. Really, Takato? You didn't think maybe there was any better way for your parents to get the news than this? Just drop a bomb right on top of the food they've been working on all day? Well Takato, I like you but I award you no points for tact in this round.

And while we're talking about how the Matsudas take the news, it seemed a little uncharacteristic. They were actually some of the more developed adults in the show; we got a good feel for them. Now it's true that this situation never really came up, the closest parallel was when Takato 'came out' to them as a Tamer. (Again, rather than do things in a more controlled setting Takato decides it would be best to walk into the store with Guilmon in tow.) In that instance, Mie went right into overprotective mothering mode while Takehiro treated it more stoically. Now it's not a perfect comparison by any means, but it does show a bit about their characters that isn't really reflected here.
CloudKitsune17 chapter 1 . 3/1/2011
While reading this, I found myself rather surprised that I was remembering pieces of this story. Apparently I have read this before, but the most rememberable moment for me-not touching or anything, just what I remember most-was Rinchei playing Dynasty Warriors... Back then, I remember seeing a review of it-I think it was it-on XPlay, and seeing a clip between one of the generals/commanders and a young, pretty boy, who ends up getting killed...

I never played the game myself, but I was always tempted to hunt it down. XD Anyhoo, random memory topic done, I loved this story. D I really should of read it in order, however... I don't care. XD I twas fun to read.
Reiji chapter 1 . 9/16/2010
A nice, warm Leekato Holiday fic. I was having a feeling of suspense when it comes to the Christmas Dinner at the Matsuda Household; But, glad they're as open, understanding and accepting as the Li/Lee one.

Can't help but chuckle at the last parts where our couple were spending 'quality time' with Mr. Matsuda knocking on the outside and assumed that the two were having a warm 'you-know-what'.

At least it was a nice and wonderful Holidays for Lee and Takato. I think the idea that both families accept their relationship and welcomes was a great gift enough for the lovestruck duo.

Now... Wonder what Guilmon and Terriermon were doing during that time...