Reviews for Bella Ciao
winter0110 chapter 1 . 7/4/2011
Hi, I started to read this one-shot because of the title, you see Im Italian and we do learn that song during the Primary school, it is very sad (the song) like it is very very sad the story, but itd have been the reality probably if this was a real story told by someone who lived those years. So I cried a lot, because it is beautifully written and very close to the reality of those days. Thank you
mommymac0508 chapter 1 . 5/23/2011
I loved it so sad but sweet thank you
tracieo chapter 1 . 4/26/2011
oh, too too sad! but so beautiful...
magmom2 chapter 1 . 4/19/2011
What a great story and a great love.
whohellanoes chapter 1 . 3/4/2011
that was so very painful. gosh...i'm so sad. such a beautiful story though. thank you.
Rose094 chapter 1 . 3/2/2011
Oh my God. This Story is absolutely beautiful, completely breathtaking! It has left me with my stomach in knots, my heart aching and tears in my eyes. It was most likely the best story I'll ever read on this site- or any site. This story really touched me. You did a fantastic job!

-Rose094
villanova chapter 1 . 2/9/2011
Amazing. Thank you so much for using the Italian Resistance as your inspiration, most people outside of Italy don't even know of the Partisan movement, when they think of WW2 and Resistance they think of France. Also thank you for using "Bella Ciao" as the title when I saw it brought me back to age 11, Summer camps, and singing it while I was made to walk for miles in the middle of the mountains (a way of keeping 11 year olds from whining because they were made to go on strolls they didn't want to go on). This story is very personal to me as it brings back so many memories, of me being looked after by my nan and my past time was getting her to tell me about the war, my nan was born in 1902 and lived through both wars. My grandad was a prisoner of war in Germany and made his escape with another Italian from the South, I originate from Padova, and walked all the way home, when he reached home he was starved could not even keep broth down. The story is poignant, sad extremely well written, you did an amazing job. On reflection Italy will celebrate 150 years of unity this year, and it is far from united, it seems the sacrifice of all those men was wasted, because even if we have democracy our government is making a mockery of our laws, and actually some could say with some reason that again we have a dictator governing us. Your story is so powerful it really has made me think.
E.Jeans chapter 1 . 1/23/2011
Un mattina, mi son svegliato, oh bella ciao bella ciao bella ciao ciao ciao, una mattina, mi son svegliato e ho trovato l'invasor...

Ok, despite the kind invitation of Edward I'm crying. Of course I'm crying, how can I not do it? I discoverd this one shot only today and I've been attracted by the title because of course I know the song by memory.

I'm italian, I live in a city in the north of Italy, one of my grandfathers has been a partisan while the other one, fought in Poland and at the end of WWII he came back to Italy on foot through the Europe.

I'm very proud of them and of what they have done for my country so I thank you for having written such a wonderful story like this.

You have done a wonderful job. There is a beautiful book by an italian writer, Italo Calvino, wich it's called "Il sentiero dei nidi di ragno" and it's about a group of partisans and your story remind me of the atmosphere of this book. Of course partisans weren't heroes. In normal circumstances they wouldn't have to kill people. But they sacrificed their youngness and their lives in the name of freedom. They had to fight not only the Germans but others italians as well. It's a sad part of European history.

You've been able to describe in such vivid way the difficulties of the life at the time...

Despite my love for happy endings I understand why you choosed to kill Isabella, it could not finish in another way.

Now I think it's time to stop my ramblings. I apologise in advance for the many mistakes I'm sure I've done in this review.

Thank you again...

Elena
kris salvador chapter 1 . 1/6/2011
I've skirted around this story of yours since I kinda knew it wouldn't have a happy ending and I was right! Don't get me wrong, I love stories like this and I'm glad I read yours. It's beautiful and sad and haunting. It reminds me of Pan's Labyrinth and countless other anti-fascist movies...(an aside, have you ever watched Butterfly's Tongue (La lengua de las mariposas)? Just beautiful.

Plus, I'm quite familiar with the song itself. We have a local translation of the Bella Ciao (same title.) It was sung by anti-dictatorship fighters during the 70s and 80s here (we were under a dictatorship until 1986.) My dad still sings it. :D

TMI? LOL Thanks for writing, love it.
happymelt chapter 1 . 12/12/2010
idk why i'm such a sucker for HF, but i am... so when i read this, i was thrilled. ugh, that came out wrong...i loved it, not because it was tragic, but because you managed to paint a beautiful, gritty and REAL love story in a small fist-full of words.

when she bathes him and gives him a haircut? it was so tender and sweet...i got anxious for them, knowing they would come together for the first-time that night...and for the loss that was inevitable after that.

"Thank you, Edward. What a wonderful life." ((sobby-sobs))

thank you for this... there are plenty of fluffy or sexy one-shots out there, but this is a rare gem! xoxox
KazM77 chapter 1 . 12/12/2010
Heartbreaking sad, just literally felt gutted for Edward, no HEA but so well written.
kneon chapter 1 . 12/9/2010
This was a great story, very moving.

Sorry I missed the contest.
Britt01 chapter 1 . 11/18/2010
Yup, you got tears on that one! Great fic - sweet and sad and real - thank you for sharing.
Amethyst Jackson chapter 1 . 10/18/2010
This is a lovely story. I'm going to go through it chronologically to give you my thoughts. :)

I like opening with the elderly narrator looking back. It gives a certain sense of foreboding. There's a sentence beginning that isn't capitalized - not a major thing for the reader, but you might consider a beta to catch those little things? That's really up to you. To be honest, I tend to wait for my readers to point out my typos and then go in and fix them after the fact. :P

I like the way you used the narrator to cut off the backstory - sometimes it's so hard to find a good place to transition, to skip all the things that will drag a story down.

Your initial descriptions of the resistance remind me of a wonderful story called The Things They Carried. You may or may not know it; it's pretty popular in US anthologies, but I don't know where you're from. It describes Vietnam War soldiers, and you get to know them largely through what they carry with them.

"On nights like these, I open my shirt, no matter how cold it is, and place a hand on my heart, desperate to feel it still beating." Beautiful, just beautiful.

I like the sprinklings of Italian in there. That's so important in making a setting come alive. Even the way you write the dialogue, the way Bella speaks, gives the sense that she's actually chattering away in Italian and we just somehow understand her. :)

I like the echoes of canon with Edward looking for an out and never taking it. And the watching her sleep, his fears of corrupting her somehow. Bella thinking he doesn't like her. Very nicely done.

I love the reunion, Bella giving him a bath, cutting his hair. It's a sweet scene.

I love the love scene. So many of them were...disappointing, I found, in reading the entries, but yours is realistic without sacrificing romance. I particularly love the "sweet talk" - it's so often trite and just weird in adult scenes, but I think it's really special and endearing here.

When Bella is shot, it's just devastating, even though you can feel it coming all along. I definitely cried over it. Very beautifully done.

I love that poem and how you used it. Just beautiful.

I think you did just a masterful job with this piece, and if that's what you do now, with your first attempt, then I can't wait to see what you'll do in the future. Amazing. You should go forward with all the confidence in the world.

AJ
brokende chapter 1 . 10/17/2010
Well honestly, I've read this story so many times, and yet I'm tearing up again, just having it up on my screen. I cannot say enough how much I love it, but I think you know. I hope you know. Perfect.
65 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »