Reviews for Unconquerable Spirits
Hoplite39 chapter 7 . 4/7/2014
And so it ends as it did originally. Almost. It may not be quite the same with Jake in another body. After all, genetically any children they have won't be his. But that's another story.

And you already had a female Avatar around. I'm sure Grace's avatar could have been available.

Anyway, exciting action story with the fortunes of war swinging one way then the other. You did the action very well. It was nice to see the RDA as portrayed in a balanced way. In the end, many were just doing their duty, fighting to survive or fighting for the race just as the na'vi were.

I was a bit sad they Neytiri ended up the way she did. Being a big Neytiri fan, I prefer to see her in a more active role. In Jake centred stories, she often unfortunately gets marginalised.

On the other hand, Neytiri's situation does make sense and and it did play a parallel with Jake's situation. And perhaps understanding his past life will help her understand him more.

I still think Max got off lightly. He caused the deaths of many humans but is cheerily carrying on with life. I am happy the na'vi won, but Max's survival leaves a bitter taste, at least in this story.

It's just a pity Trudy didn't cone back. That crash didn't have to be fatal. But I could see there was no place for her in this story.

Anyway, good interesting story that is worth reading. Cheers.
Hoplite39 chapter 6 . 4/7/2014
Well Quaritch's action almost led to a bloodbath. But it seemed that the avatars saved the day. Although, it was a rather large oversight by the RDA to not only allow he avatars to wander around, but also to leave them with weapons.

But them perhaps they assumed that the scientists would be too afraid to do anything that might sabotage the base defences. Helping the na'vi defend against an attack is one thing, but helping the na'vi occupy the base is another.

Anyway, it seems Max is going to survive. Although, I can't help feeling it may be better if he died in thus story. He has caused a lot of deaths among the humans.
Hoplite39 chapter 5 . 4/7/2014
That was an unexpected end to the chapter.

Both leader had to deal with mutiny. And to some extent, both leaders succeeded in dealing with it, with Quaritch doing better so far.

But I suspect Jake was holding the Na'vi back to avoid casualties on both sides. Quaritch'saction could result in a bigger blood bath, especially in the current new situation.

I felt sorry for the miners. The were forced to fight and many paid the price. Unlike the na'vi who have the same carefree philosophy about life and death as the woad covered ancient Britons and Picts.

I was glad to see what Kim though about Max at the beginning. Her belief that he is a traitor is completely reasonable and logical. But she obviously realises she must make compromises to stop the war.

And by the way. Is Asoka inspired by Star Wars?
Hoplite39 chapter 4 . 4/7/2014
Well Max's execution would have been a price that was necessary to pay. After all Jake sent 100 na'vi to their deaths to stop the attack. And he will have to sacrifice many more.

In some ways, I was surprised Kim leapt to Max's defence. Much of what he said was true from his point of view. It seemed she was showing a lot of concern in a dangerous situation. But then perhaps she was concerned that Quaritch could be convicted for killing Max. Or perhaps she was afraid that Jake would take retribution on the military personnel if the na'vi won, which is a real possibility.

Quaritch's plan to recruit the miners seems good on paper. But in practice it seems like a desperate measure. Deploying an untrained and inexperienced militia against a determine warrior race is a bad idea. We'll find out how bad soon enough.
Hoplite39 chapter 3 . 4/7/2014
The excitement continues and the skypeople get another bloody nose. But it is quite logical that the commanders would realise there was a traitor in their midst and identify Max. To be fair, the harsh treatment that Max received is not unexpected. He has after all been one of the primary causes of the military's setback so far and the countless deaths. Quaritch's anger is more than understandable.

So we shall see what happens to Max. He may be the another casualty in what is turning into a Skyperson civil war.

I thought Jake's reaction to Neytiri was quite harsh. After all she lives in a culture where being physically able is a necessity to survive. By making his judgement, he was imposing his culture on her, which is ironically what he is fighting against.

But I suppose he also said it because he cares and wants her to live. Love may not be blind here, but it is selfish.
Hoplite39 chapter 2 . 4/6/2014
Great continuation. Quaritch plans another desperate lightening strike from his sick bed, while Jake struggles to deal with the loss of his Avatar and so many allies.

But with informants on the inside of Hell's Gate, it looks like the attack may run into trouble. We shall see
Hoplite39 chapter 1 . 4/6/2014
I saw this on ToS so I decided to give it a try. Very good first chapter. Lots of exciting action from both sides with neither side gaining the upper hand. Also, very tragic in some ways, but could have been worse.

It will be interesting to see how Jake gets on in his ne situation. And how he will deal with Neytiri.
CrayonsPink chapter 7 . 7/7/2011
This story was amazing! I loved it. :) Brilliant job with the development of the plot and characters!
General Herbison chapter 7 . 6/21/2011
Brilliant as usual. One quick question though. Why in the name of sanity did they not have a half intelligent guard? Honestly you would think that the military would lock up all the avatar drivers considering they were on the blue monkeys side. But NOOOOO they have to let them use those avatars to ruin everything. Great story :)
Bigoldfrog chapter 7 . 12/8/2010
I would have preferred the end to go more like this:

... "Eywa?"

'No. Confucius.'

Jokes aside, I thought it was a spectacular finish to a moving story. Seeing the protagonists come through that much hell put a smile on my face.

Best of luck in your writing career.
Bigoldfrog chapter 6 . 12/6/2010
What a climatic chapter. I love how you've portrayed Quaritch, he causes me to hate, pity and lauch all at the same time.
Hat O' Doom chapter 7 . 12/2/2010
I gotta say, I really enjoyed this story. I just finished reading it and it has totally put me in an Avatar mood. Time to watch the movie again!
Bigoldfrog chapter 5 . 11/25/2010
Superb chapter, I like the desperation element sown so deeply into the plot; it snares the mind's complete interest.
Bigoldfrog chapter 4 . 11/21/2010
That Quaritch would only stop the execution on account of excess paperwork put me in uncontrollable laughter. Another great chapter
Bigoldfrog chapter 3 . 11/20/2010
Jake and Neytiri's situation is utterly heart wrenching. Superb chapter.
54 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »