Reviews for My Thoughts on Gamer Girl
KingdomNami18 chapter 1 . 7/11/2014
While I respect your opinion (and I know this is really old as well), I do have to question what this big "clue" was that was right under Maddy's nose. And she's just as oblivious as I am, really, so I admit it's a bit insulting to read you think she's so oblivious.

Also, what simple Japanese word did she misspell? Sometimes it's not the authors- sometimes the proofreaders or computers miss something. Hell, they missed CHAIR. It was spelled as "char".

And I will admit that Maddy was angsty and dull. There's no doubt about that. But who expects a newly-aged 16-year-old to have the most exciting adventures ever?

Also, referring to your first three paragraphs: what "moral"? There was no moral. She learned to ignore her bullies, best them, and come out on top through happiness and amazing friends. I admit her saying she was a true gamer girl was a bit random and unneeded, but the rest of it makes sense. She also did NOT have a perfect life after she moved. Before she had moved, yes. After? She complained more than I do.

Also, it wasn't just one point of sadness. She was embarrassed, yes, but the bullying made it all worse. She was being dramatic. That's pretty much every teenager. It also took a lot for her to get back some happiness in her life. It took some jerks bullying her every day just for the hell of it, ripping, defacing, and ruining hard work and dedication, and her overall look on the new school had to be changed after that first unfortunate day. You honestly can't tell me you thought she'd be happy the second she walked in with a unicorn sweater and mom jeans on, can you?

You may criticize the book as you please, but please clarify what you think in more depth. If your teacher hadn't read the book, she'd probably think you were being more upset that she wasn't perfect with everything you loved and that you just seemed moody about it. I would if I hadn't read the book.

You shouldn't feel "sorry" for any gamer or anime lover either. Especially if they may have known more than you at the time being and thought it was perfect. Feel sorry for those who expected some major battle scenes in great detail. Feel sorry for those who thought the book was actually about video games and anime and that it would go in to this exceptional amount of information about every one mentioned. Because, just like Sword Art Online, it was fairly obvious it was about a girl falling for a cute guy she met in a game. NOT about major battle scenes.

She simply grew up a bit. I think it's only fair to point out some holes in a review if it's not as detailed as it probably should have been.

I do respect your opinion, but please- go in to some more detail if you need to explain why the book was so dreadful next time.
Shirubagure chapter 1 . 6/12/2014
I have to agree with this, sadly. This book didn't appeal to me at all either as an anime lover and used to be gamer lover, I still love gaming, I just don't have enough time to or I can't play it for reasons. :I It kind of insulted me and I was angered how one Japanese word was always spelled wrong. I was also not a fan of Maddy, nor understood how one little thing and her whole life is ruined and another ittle thing and her wole life is all back together again.

The only thing I did like about this was Matt, I like Matt. He was my favorite character I have to say in all of this. My reaction was exactly the same as yours. I kind of felt insulted by this book, but I decided to deal with it.
Anonymous chapter 1 . 5/20/2013
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who loathed that damn book! I could've eaten alphabet soup and crapped out a better story.
Guest chapter 1 . 4/12/2013
Mary Sue Problems is currently doing a review of this on tumblr. I am so glad I look up books before I buy. I hate Sues and it sounds like a shitty Wattpad story.
DespisedIcon chapter 1 . 12/20/2012
I agree on you about all the flaws you pointed out but what really bothers me is the fact that some people don't believe bullies act like that. (They act a lot worse, trust me and very vulgar I might add.) If people don't truly believe that there aren't people like that then they've obviously never seen a bully in their life. There aren't many authors who try to appeal to us gamers and anime lovers so at least she tried. I'm not saying the book was perfect either and it did have its flaws but effort was made.
Have you ever read Heir Apparent?
TheSadMachine chapter 1 . 12/5/2012
I actually loved this book it's so hard to find a book that even mentions gaming or anime. Yeah it ticked me off when they were quoting chibi vampire instead of great Anime like Naruto or Inuyasha they might as well put in High school of the Dead! (Sorry for those who love it but i'm just not a fan of bouncing boobs and shots of panties i love zombies and ONLY zombies). The gaming was sort of interesting but it didn't explain much about the world itself in its entirety. (I Play mabinogi and watch shit loads of anime I even went to anime expo three times so yesh i have my credentials) Still though i would love it for someone to make a better one than Gamer Girl since she did not live up to the gaming and anime communities expectations. I loved it primarily because it had romance on an mmorpg and there aren't exactly a flowing pile of those unfortunately. If anyone finds one of those I'd love to be recommended! xD I am unsure if my passionate typing is making any sense! -.-
Guest chapter 1 . 12/3/2012
I absolutely love this! Follow me ciara_lesko I would love to talk to you more about this. Feel free to tweet at me! :)
RayDreamsInColor chapter 1 . 6/14/2012
While a RPG/Anime/Manga fan, I am not a complete otaku. I mean I play WoW, I've read Nightschool, and I've watched some Bleach, but I'm not crazy about it.

But I am an avid reader, I must have read half of my library in the past three years, and I will say that while I did enjoy "Gamer Girl", it could've been much better written, and the plot moved along quite slowly compared to amazing books like "Harry Potter" or "Maximum Ride".

She could've done a better job, but the story was okay, and I enjoyed it!

So, while I understand your criticisms, I did enjoy the book!
PaladinCarvin chapter 1 . 4/19/2012
Not really gonna say much that hasn't been said, but might as well, yea?

This is a well constructed piece for its intended purpose. It expresses the opinions well and backs them up with the book.

I do think it's a good book, but you certainly did not miss the flaws. I mere think they are not as bad as you think. I do wish the end was better extended. I will say I enjoyed the end, though, because while you knew that the day was going to be saved, you wouldn't have known it was going to end in such a heartwarming way. I'm not even usually a sucker for that sort of thing.

I really did expect more gaming involved in 'Gamer Girl', but I don't think I was let down by that fact. Probably mostly because it was the title of her comic and referred to her dichotomy of Allora/Maddie. I do think that that 'moral statement' misses the mark. It almost feels like a publisher or editor said 'It's the title, you need to put this in'. I think if she concluded not that she was 'a gamer girl', but that she was 'Gamer Girl'; that she was now living with the confidence and courage of her heroine, THAT would have been a moral.

Anywho, my two gil.
SoMa-NaruHina chapter 1 . 4/11/2012
I agree with you on all accounts, but the audience Mari Mancusi was trying to appeal to it looked like was the outlying teens of anime and gaming while also trying to appeal to the actual gamers and anime junkies. I love anime, and I love gaming. I don't feel terrible about reading this book but I wish it had more insight to anime and gaming. This would probably be a book to get some young teen somewhere into gaming and anime though so all in all not a total loss. And about the character development... you're really right...

Also about the super sad then happy moments... there is a song called Mood Rings by Relient K, and that's kinda what I took it as. If you look up the song you'll know what I'm talking about. Well thanks! Good review.
Sky Stormsong chapter 1 . 2/5/2012
This is a very good critique and something I have to agree with wholeheartedly. When I read the book, I expected a lot more anime/manga, gaming etc, something that wasn't presented in the book. Instead it was a load of teenage angst, more so than was probably necessary :( I think the book had a good plot, but it wasn't executed as well as it could have been.
LunaGleek14 chapter 1 . 9/11/2011
i know a little about anime. I read some books, but my brother's obsessed so I get most of my knowledge from him. But about your view on the book, I couldn't disagree more! I was kinda obvious that Chad was the gamer but it was funny when she thought otherwise. I could totally see why she thought it was Matt. It was suspenseful and it was adorable. I loved "Gamer Girl" and I see how you could hate it, taken that you are an anime fan. But I think people are overlooking it too much. It's FICTION. Not real life! So what if the author didn't mention anime characters? I don't think she was allowed to. There is a thing called copyright! I loved that book and I didn't find it boring or dragged out.
FBBBGirl chapter 1 . 8/31/2011
My best friend loves anime and read this book. She loved it. However she doesn't read it as much as she draws. She doesn't read that much so when she said that it was good, I read it. I liked it but I know nothing about anime.
Scarlet Daichi chapter 1 . 7/10/2011
When I read this I felt very much the same way. The suddenly occurring and solution to problems almost annoying. My least favorite scene must of been the part when Maddies drowning in self pity and telling her mom that she was a bad daughter. (Why is being called Freak Girl such a big deal? I've been called worst.)

Not an award winning story but some what entertaining. I wouldn't trip over myself recommending it..
Cheypielaughs chapter 1 . 5/1/2011
this is exactly how i felt, Maddy was to preoccupied with her own problems to even realize what was happening right under her noes! When she was online in fields of fantasy it was so easy to tell the sir Leo was Maddy knew Chad was "different" than the other Haters why did she keep running from Chad at the end? It was as if she was trying to tell herSELF that he was "different" then the other haters. This is what I of "Gamer Girl' I actually wrote my own essay on this story which is too long to post as a review (it was 6 pages back and front college ruled)This is just my own opinion :D