Reviews for The Sins of our Fathers
Lothlorien Aeterna chapter 1 . 9/11/2011
I love how Lisbon is the only person Jane trusts, and that he is, in turn, the only person she is truly comfortable around. It is so sweet :)

And I particularly loved the end...hehe
Afterglow04 chapter 1 . 7/16/2011
What a lovely continuation of ep 2x10! I think it fits perfectly with the tone of the episode, and the general tone of your series as well. Jane's rare display of openness and vulnerability, combined with Lisbon's gentle and subtle persuasion to get him talking was spot on, and I enjoyed it a lot.

I could see this entire scene unfold in my head quite clearly, which I always like because it proves that they've been written completely in character. It was nice to see them both open up a little about their pasts, to see Lisbon drawing up parallels between the both of them to show him that nobody's perfect and they all make mistakes.

An excellent use of the prompt as well. And really, any story that has Jane quoting The Breakfast Club is an instant winner, heh.
justcrazy chapter 1 . 5/28/2011
Just wanted to say how glad I am to have found this series. I've recently turned into a mentalist fan fic addict and though I don't normally go for AU, Im enjoyIng this spin so much. It gives you whole new layers to work with in deconstructing the episodes. Is there a story that explains how they began this unique arrangement? Looking forward to all the rest - thanks so much!
forthecoast chapter 1 . 9/25/2010
I think the thing I liked most about this was how you brought up not just Jane and Lisbon's fathers, but also Jane's fears about rubbing off on his own daughter, who would she have become if she had lived. Even though the whole thing was wonderful, that sticks out to me as a really unique aspect of this story that is rarely (if ever) touched upon in other stories. And if so, never this well.

This really is one of the best established J/L series out there. I love every single installment, even if I do lag a bit in reviewing :) I will eventually catch up. It doesn't help that FFN is being hateful right now.
Jisbon4ever chapter 1 . 9/21/2010
What else can I say. You managed to do it again. I love how you get them IC even when they are sleeping together. You have such a talent.

I have to say that I really enjoyed reading this story and all the different emotions you put in it. Very good. Love it. They are so different and alike at the same time that you have to love them as a couple.
Cricri chapter 1 . 9/18/2010
Very good story and serie actually. I couldn't stop reading until the end ! It's well written and everything is smooth and seems natural. I look forward to reading you again.
erica83ca chapter 1 . 9/18/2010
I love this series. They always seem to be toeing the line between disaster and something really great.

Favourite thing: the whole story - okay "maybe they'd rub off on each other just enough to save them both" because this has become my series motto.

2nd Favourite thing: Lisbon having her way with him :-)
mwalter1 chapter 1 . 9/17/2010
"We're all products of our upbringing; it's what we do when we're on our own that matters."

True characther is doing what's right when no one is watching. I really enjoyed this - excellent look into the characters and very much IN character!
yaba chapter 1 . 9/17/2010
Oh. My. God.

Has Christmas come early this year? Has it? Has it? Oh hell, I don't even celebrate Christmas (I'm Jewish) but man this feels like a friggin holiday.

You absolutely rocked this. I always tell you how well you excel at dialogue between these two and this oneshot just reinforced that belief. I genuinely am envious of your ability to weave wonderful prose and at the same time make everything freakishly in character. I can *see* this conversation happening behind closed doors, even in canon. I can see Jane willing to irritate Lisbon at first, but then slowly let his guard down and open up and all his justification for it...it was just a pleasure to read.

Conversely, I found the actual backstory you created (which wasn't really non-canon, but a lot more detail oriented) wonderful. I loved Jane's guilt and Lisbon's reassurance and how she'd used her own pain as an example of how neither of them are like their parents, regardless of what Jane would want to believe. It was a fantastic move on her part and something I can see Lisbon doing, because she is that clever and intelligent and thank you for emphasizing it in such a sweet, wonderful way.

Also, double points for mentioning The Breakfast Club and for having Lisbon initiate their intimacy. I love it when she's feisty, so to speak and I'm sure Jane does too :P. I was really happy to find this in my inbox this morning. Glad you took the time to write it :)

Yana
Alamo Girl chapter 1 . 9/17/2010
You know, that episode was pretty intriguing, even if it wasn't one of the few good eps this season. Mostly because I liked the flash backs to wee Jane and seeing him get drilled with that baseball still makes me grin.

I love that you brought out a lot of demons that possess both Lisbon and Jane in this, but I especially loved this line:

"But then we'd never have any evidence, something you're always so keen on I might add. So the case'd probably get thrown out of court almost immediately. If it ever made it there in the first place."

It greatly amuses me that Jane would notice this. Especially since he thinks the whole "law" part of the catching criminals game is petty-fascist machine. Great job!
FiveRoses chapter 1 . 9/17/2010
I thought it was lovely. I found that episode frustrating because Jane had all those flashbacks, but no-one else (i.e. Lisbon) learned anything new about him, so what was the point really, other than to give the audience more background? I'd have preferred the other characters to learn more about him, so I loved that you had him actually talk to Lisbon and tell her all about it; and that she reciprocated made it even better. It was very moving that they tried, rather ineffectually, to comfort each other, and eventually settled for the old tried and tested method. :)

Very nice. Thanks for posting.