Reviews for Strangers at Drakeshaugh
Christiiana chapter 1 . 5/4/2021
Why is that Jasmine girl in the reviews so pressed LOL. She’s blowing things wayyyy out of proportion
rabbitluver999 chapter 12 . 4/18/2021
I like the story but omg if someone was that into my family I would be more forward about it she like stalker of sorts
Homarid chapter 5 . 4/5/2021
Great start to the story. I'm enjoying the characters and how natural and detailed it all feels. I see why so many people appreciate your work. The type of story so far makes me think 'Slice of life', which is code for boring unfortunately. I'll try some more chapters in case something interesting happens.
MakhaiArcanum chapter 28 . 3/12/2021
The bit about tig/tag/tuggy was really interesting. When I was little it was some unholy combination of all three. You would say ‘tag’ when you tagged people, but it was called ‘tiggy’.

(Also wanted to tell you that I really like this story, especially how you have the authors working)
hemerocallis chapter 1 . 3/1/2021
Well written and a promising start.
MsCalypso chapter 1 . 12/15/2020
Hi

I just browsed through your reviews, for no reason at all actually, and I noticed a whole lot of reviews by a Jasmine who seems to think you have written the world's greatest womanhating character in the history of fanfiction. This review is to deny that fact categorically. As a woman myself, I have always been amazed by your lifelike characters and personae. I regularly reread most of your fics because your writing feels like coming home. Mike and Jackie's relationship is so real, you can almost feel it. There is nothing problematic about how your men are written and honestly, I hope you keep on writing fanfiction so that I have something to read on a cold, rainy day. (So if you could continue James and Me, you would be very kind.)

Kind regards
-MsC
SarahOlivier chapter 1 . 12/14/2020
James had black hair like Harry
Jeremy North chapter 39 . 12/8/2020
Lol. Someone is triggered. I loved this story. It’s well written and I would love to see more about the two families as the children grow. It would be wonderful for Henry to show magic and attend hogwarts with James.
Jasmine chapter 34 . 12/7/2020
Also:

That girl was written to be sixteen.

SIXTEEN.

Your "good husband" character is leering at, sexualizing, and objectifying a LITERAL CHILD. This is PEDOPHILE TERRITORY.

Why on earth do you think it is "funny" to sexualize a child!?
Jasmine chapter 34 . 12/7/2020
"It's an old joke of Mike's. Any busty woman he sees is "Norma". If anyone asks how he knows, he'll gleefully tell them that her surname is "Snockers". It's a really terrible pun, and not exactly PC, and he knows it. He grinned at me. I shook my head in despair. Sometimes, he's simply incorrigible."

This is absolutely, irredeemably, abusive and disgusting.

You have written an abusive man who sees women not as peolle, but solely as sex objects to be leered at. You have written him as an abusive piece of shit over and over and over again, and every time you try to pass it off for laughs. You try to pass him off as a "good man," a "good father," and a "good husband." HE IS NONE OF THOSE THINGS. HE IS A PIECE OF SHIT.

This is so fucked up. I feel so sorry for you. If a real 'mike" is in your life, please know that you are being abused and you need to leave.
Jasmine chapter 29 . 12/5/2020
Even more problematic Mike Quotes & actions:

"At times like this, it's difficult to know whether I should side with my wife or my mother-in-law. No man should have to make a decision like that, should they, Jack?"

Hahaha, isn't overt sexism funny!?

"'I expect that you'll be collecting them from Drakeshaugh. D'you want to borrow the big car?"

Mike believes that their cars are not communal property, despite being married. He 'allows' Jacqui to 'borrow' a vehicle she already owns.

"He'd loaded the dishwasher and set it going, and was busy wiping down the table.
'Thanks,' I said.

He heard the surprise in my voice and grinned. 'I live to serve,' he told me, a twinkle in his eye."

Mike thinks everyday house chores are beneath him, and only helps as a special treat.

"'Lego fire engine, twelve quid, is that too much?' I asked anxiously.

He shook his head. 'It'll be fine Jacqui."

She thinks she doesn't have the right to spend their money on a present for their child's best friend. She has to run it by the man and get his permission.

"After giving Mike his instructions, and threatening him with dire consequences should he forget to collect James' birthday gift, I got to work preparing lunch for the following day and thoroughly cleaning the kitchen. Mike retired to the lounge and kept out of my way."

1] Mike is a big dumb stupid man who can't even remember the simplest things without threats, because lol stereotypes about men

2] Mike acts like he's so great for loading the dishwasher and wiping a table, yet Jacqui still gets stuck cleaning the entire kitchen while he parks his lazy butt in the lounge

"Although to be honest, I've no idea what an A-line skirt is. Frankly, I don't care. In case you haven't noticed, I've always been an admirer of tight jeans.' He gently stroked my leg, gave me his silliest grin, and winked."

Women are just sexual objects for the male gaze, and this is played for laughs and supposed to be endearing.

"Straight after school is fine for ladies of leisure like you and Ginny, but it might be difficult for me,"

Mike doesn't believe that full-time caring for children he helped produce has any value as labor. This is not the first time he has belittled and dismissed all the work Jacqui does, even though she works her butt off.

"He took another look. 'Red hair is James,' he announced, smiling. 'They're holding hands. Why are they holding hands? Should I be worried?"

Mike is a homophobic piece of garbage. He, of course, sees nothing wrong with it until Jacqui tells him off, because he is once again a stereotypical a big stupid man. This is once again played for laughs.

"I was about to retune Mike's radio from Radio 4 to Radio 2 in the hope that some classic pop would be okay, when I spotted one of my own CDs—The Sky Didn't Fall—poking out from under a cloth in the side pocket. I wondered how long it had been there. I'd been looking for it for weeks, and Mike had denied all knowledge when I'd asked him if he'd seen it."

Mike refuse to clean his grody, disgusting car, but he either won't even bother to give Jacqui back her CD or he cares so little about her or her things that he doesn't think it matters.

"Mike gave a murmur of protest when the CD began, but I pointed out that it was the only CD in the car without any language issues, and I'd asked him if he'd known it was there weeks earlier, when I'd first asked him. That shut him up."

Ah, there it is. He did know, but Jacqui as a human being and her wants and needs are so worthless to him that he didn't care. The CD, like Jacqui, just wasn't important.

Mike treats Jacqui like trash. She appears to be trapped in an abusive marriage with kids and a husband who sees her as a sex object to be placated and managed.

I really feel for her, and for the author if Jacqui is truly any kind of self-insert. This is a sad, miserable life of servitude to lead. This poor woman. Her pig of a husband has her by the short hairs, and he knows it: Trap 'em with kids and they can't leave.
Jasmine chapter 18 . 12/3/2020
Another sign this is an abusive relationship:

"He had wined and dined and pampered me. And he had good-naturedly allowed me to swim in the almost magically warm and clear Ionian Sea every day."

She is a grown woman. He *allowed* her to swim every day?
I almost vomited, reading this. This is such a creepy line. He does not own her. She is not his dog. He 'allows' her NOTHING.

This is so gross, so creepy,, and so concerning. Is this actually what you think a healthy relationship is? Yikes.
Jasmine chapter 18 . 12/3/2020
Mike is a completely gross, abusive, sexist piece of garbage and he is keeping me from enjoying an otherwise good fic.
This behavior isn't funny. It's utterly disgusting and has no place in this story:

"So, swimming on Saturday ... d'you think the redhead will have a bikini?"

"After all, it seems that your mummy spent the entire afternoon busily gossiping and drinking tea."

And even worse:

"'It's okay, red…' my husband began"

"Ginny is Ginny. Not redhead, or Red, or Ginger, or Ginge and definitely not Gin,"
(also, WTF!? Ginny is a grown women who can speak for herself and does not need a man to speak over her.)

"She's definitely a redhead,' Mike said in an undertone. 'She's got a temper that's even quicker than yours. I don't want to die a horrible death, so don't let me call her "red" again.' "

So Mike is such worthless garbage as a human being that he can't even police the words that come out of his own mouth? What an utterly useless grown adult man.

And this is even worse:

"'Red?' he said. Ginny rounded on him.

'The wine,' he said, trying to sound innocent. 'We're very fond of red wine, aren't we, Jacqueline, darling?' "

This is abuse. You are sitting here writing an abusive man who is deliberately refusing to listen to "no means no" about a woman's NAME and trying to play it off as a cute joke.

Abuse is not a joke. It is abuse. This is disgusting and vile. This sexist piece of garbage is treating Ginny like a sex object and you are playing it for laughs.

What is wrong with you?
David Fishwick chapter 39 . 12/3/2020
thanks for writing this great idea. I liked how you wrote the friendship between the Potters and the Charltons.
Descend unto Madness chapter 39 . 12/2/2020
Your writing style and attention to detail absolutely blew me away. It has been a long time since I've posted a review on any story, but this story deserved all that and more. Every scene in the story was written in such a vivid manner that I could imagine that I was experiencing the scene right alongside the protagonist. At the same time the details were never superfluous nor did they detract from the flow of the story. This is a fine line to walk and honestly I feel you've done an absolutely smashing job of it. I am not usually a fan of the "after years" type of fanfiction because they often seem over the top and rather unbelievable( I include the cursed child in this heading). This story though not only made the characters relatable and real, it also seemed like an almost seamless transition from canon. Thank you so much for this wonderful read :)
2,277 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »