Reviews for The Locked Room
HopefulHelpful chapter 1 . 2/13
Aww, this was sad! But I think it seemed realistic. Great job.
apples in the rain chapter 1 . 1/7/2014
Wow, dang. I'd wondered about that actually. You know, the parents. Forgetting a nearly grown child and all memories related to him has got to be an enormously significant void, and you nailed it. Major props for this.

Using his room was a great way of going about things, too. I'd wondered if it was some snazzy keyblade or magic related trick at first, but by the end, it seemed more like he couldn't open the door simply because his heart could not bear it. Maybe it was both.
Razniak chapter 1 . 1/4/2014
Wow! What a wonderful gem to find buried deep in this website! I loved it. The parents are some of the most notably missing characters from the series, to the point of being ignored completely by Sora and only briefly mentioned by Riku. That you took the time to suggest what they must have been feeling and experiencing, and that you did it so well, is really admirable. Your characters felt very natural to me. I also quite liked the homage to Final Fantasy II (or IV, I suppose). Overall, very well done!
daily-chan chapter 1 . 9/2/2012
That must be a parents worse nightmare...forgetting your child like that. I would love to see a story from your hands about sora coming home again :)
FrostFire15 chapter 1 . 12/17/2011
This was fascinating. Wow... I loved it.
inkbender chapter 1 . 4/7/2011
I'm writing this review as I go through the story a second time so you can sorta follow my thought processes.

Awesome, this is definitely more relevant to Kingdom Hearts. Actually, this is the first link I clicked on, but then I saw that there was another story before that and I've had bad experiences jumping into the middle of the story and not appreciating it fully. I'm glad I decided to read "Islands Like Glass Towers" first because it truly got me to feel and empathize with the established OC characters, namely Taro and Emi, but even Hoku and Lana even though they were hardly mentioned in this particular story. In fact, I was so drawn to the original characters that the addition of Kairi was, due to Taro's POV, sort of creepy. "This girl knows too much about the hole in my memory, and how the hell does she know anyways?"

Oh god, the big black hole of lost memories. I've never really thought about how Sora's recovery after Chain of Memories really affected everybody else. You get the slight hint during the second game that Kairi and Selphie are just beginning to remember the boy who went missing, but of course the game doesn't deal with the other can of worms that is SORA'S PARENTS, the ones with even deeper ties to Sora than Riku or Kairi can boast, and how Taro and Emi deal with the fact that they forgot their own son.

It's painful to watch Taro and Emi's relationship continue to deteriorate over the course of a couple paragraphs. The young couple we saw in "Glass Towers" are only a shell of what they used to be, barely held together but unwilling to reach towards each other for fear of tearing the holes in their memory even further apart. You can just feel both of them spiraling into mania and isolating themselves all the more because they don't want to disturb that yawning gap of unspeakables.

Gah! Creepy mind games-first the locked room in a house in a neighborhood on an island where doors are never locked and secrets never hoarded away, now a suddenly blank medical file that should have blatantly stated that Emi had a pregnancy fifteen years ago.

Where is my son? That question suddenly pops up and terror and uncertainty quickly follows. The emotion is thick and fast and I am so wrapped up in the story, following Taro as he sprints across the island, as he stumbles on Kairi and rejects her and her strange knowledge of a son he just remembered, hotly denies the fact even when his wife presses him, collapses in grief when the chain of memories pours back into his head when he finally walks into Sora's bedroom and rediscovers that he and Emi had a child and that he's out there somewhere in the world and that Taro only just remembered him.

He allows himself to drawn in the threatening darkness of the hole in his memory, only to find that the hole was never there at all. Powerful.

You don't even have to describe his rough, empty pain for the next few days as he goes through the motions of work, constantly thinking about the son he lost. The abrupt ending left me feeling scoured inside, weakly holding onto Kairi's shining hope as she tosses Sora's message out to sea... this definitely begs for a sequel, and I have no doubt that you will carry that story as excellently as you have for Sora's birth in "Glass Towers" and here in this fanfiction.
Square-EnixFanGirl chapter 1 . 3/12/2011
I love this story. It was so sad. I actually cried.
Amymist chapter 1 . 9/19/2010
A very stunning story. I never really thought about how everything would affect Sora's parents. I think the way you did it... It just feels right. Just stunning. 10/10
Flightfoot chapter 1 . 9/18/2010
You know, they don't mention Sora's parents very often in the game. I wonder what it was actually like for them. To forget a child, and then remember, but not knowing what happened to him, or why he was forgotten... that would be hard.
Paosheep chapter 1 . 9/17/2010
I liked this very much, but it almost made me cry.