Reviews for The Arrangement
FearNotTheNight chapter 37 . 11/23/2013
Holy blessed Maker, I read all of this story in the past days. I simply love this story and everything I had read, of all the struggles, of all the fear, and Hope. This story, I can't write how it makes me feel, possibly bitter in some points. But Loghain making the trek through the Deep Roads with his Daughter.. Made me sob. Simply. Maker. My heart breaks.

-Ashe
Acherubis chapter 37 . 9/4/2013
i wish i was not already at the end. a masterpiece. rarely read anything more impressive. thanks for the ride!
Acherubis chapter 7 . 8/30/2013
This chapter has me shaken. So much tension and so much tragedy. I love it when an author manages to rattle the cage and leave a sense of forboding in the air. very good portraits of all of the characters. brilliant!
Acherubis chapter 6 . 8/30/2013
Beautifully done. Very descriptive of the countryside and Gwaren's people without ever getting boring. Also, how you described Elissa's adaptation phase was intriguing and humorous and Loghain's behavior made me smile a few times. I've never liked him very much and honestly, i did not see past the villain-image that's given to him in the game and didn't care to do so, either. The picture you're painting of him here makes him much more human and much more likable. Thank you for that!
Acherubis chapter 2 . 8/30/2013
I love this! You're style is intriguing and I like the way you give the story an emotional touch without being fluffy about it. This setup promises to be very interesting and it already gives a good insight into Loghain's thoughts. Curious about the next chapters! Very well done so far.
Robbie the Phoenix chapter 37 . 5/23/2013
Okay, wow, just... wow. This story has been epic, heart-wrenching, and an absolute blast to read. The chapters covering the early stages of the Blight and Howe's takeover of Fereldan had me on the edge of my seat, and I have to say, I'm an awe of the way you handled that whole thing. You took what happened in the game and expanded on it in ways I wouldn't have thought possible, but worked so well.

The notes at the end of this epilogue did a good job of capturing the feel of the epilogue slides at the end of the game. I got goosebumps reading them, and was deeply saddened to read that Anya, after everything she had been through, died in the clutches of the Kirkwall Circle. Unless there was more to it and I just wasn't reading deep enough.

Regardless, this was a brilliant story and I'm so glad I took the time to read it!
SwomeeSwan chapter 37 . 4/23/2013
Wow . . . just . . . wow, you know?, I been reading this since the first ray of the morning, and didn't stop until I finish this, I take my time of course hahaha. This was beyond amazing, gotta say it.
I don't know what to say more than this, I loved every minute of my time reading this fic.

Thank you so much for doing this.
Seffora chapter 37 . 2/14/2013
This story is positively amazing. You write Loghain so well that it has literally changed my view of his character. I love this story and I love the way you write. I hope that you are still writing. Truly this is lovely. Thank you for the wonderful story and characters. Everything that happened is basically canon to me. :)
Akarai chapter 37 . 2/9/2013
This was... amazing. Thank you so much for writing this.
thecelticspirit chapter 37 . 10/29/2012
This story is absolutely amazing. I hold you personally responsible for my new found love toward Loghain. In my previous playthrough I couldn't stand the guy - I haven't read the Stolen Throne - and I killed him at the Landsmeet every time. Now, I'm in the middle of a game with a Cousland PC... and I'm not sure I'll be able to kill him. What have you done to me? And I'm in a romance with Alistair! Argh, the dilemma. Anyways, thank you so, so much for this story, so beautifully written. The way you portrayed your characters is remarkable, I've been reading non-stop for 2 days, and with this end so bittersweet, I'm both content and sad to put your story aside... I hope you'll keep writing DA fanfics, especially with a Cousland in it, because you do it so well. All my best!
GDH chapter 4 . 10/24/2012
This is so wonderful, the way you describe every little details and feelings...I'm in love! XD
hana0502 chapter 37 . 9/29/2012
This is a beautiful story indeed, the last sentence of the epilogue is also heartbreaking, even part of me know that he will end up like that but reading it made me cry(T-T). Anyway, the story is fascinating, thanks Addai!:')
Guest chapter 37 . 7/21/2012
alrighty why such a sad ending ...well what i considered sad... so many people dying from crap...and i cant help but feel like ellie would do more afterwords
timunderwood9 chapter 37 . 5/6/2012
And their lives afterwards were not particularly happy- though it could have been somewhat worse, they might have all been dead already, and only half of them were.

A fitting, though decidedly sugar free, summary of what happened after the story.

The story definitely grew on me as the plot developed and the management of the mixed endings developed. The way you managed the tale of shifting loyalties worked very well, as did the other aspects of the story.

Random comment, I don't know what you intended with it, but I feel the comment about Neria Surana's disappearance is intrinsically ambiguous. Either she was picked up and killed by the templars, or she decided it would be wiser to go do something else, and probably lived three centuries as a slightly evil person like Avernus. And both make plenty of sense. Though given that she is a potential PC I tend to see the escape as my favored interpretation. Also even if you completely disagree and are firmly attached to one interpretation or the other, the ambiguity is my reading. Also you seem to be a good enough writer, who is well enough read to understand that ambiguity as an artistic tool is awesome.

Anya's fate is decidedly tragic. But also the way it goes. The templars couldn't permanently keep her, but they could extra legally kill her before Elissa managed to leverage her free. So of course they did.

Mainly though the story as a whole had a rather long set up section, which sort of fit this genre of 'happily, or at least semi happily, married couple in a preindustrial world'- I spent several months reading Jane Austen fan fiction, and there definitely are strong similarities between the nature of post marriage fics based off of Pride and Prejudice and the first half of this story.

But then you utilized the DA setting the way the setting deserves to be utilized as a place where there aren't purely happy endings and things don't go right much of the time. This is sort of the entire promise of the 'complex moral choices' theme which the game was sold with.

Unfortunately I think the developers systematically flinched, perhaps for good reason, from properly utilizing that (ie going to the mage tower to cure Connor should leave Bann Teagan dead, or something, not be a happy for everyone solution, refusing to support Zathrian should have some serious negative consequence)- while this story certainly didn't.

The end perhaps was too abrupt. You did a very good job of managing the pacing (and controlling this large story and keeping all of the parts working together, though I suspect if I reread it it would still seem rather bloated) through the build up to the climax. But after we get the climax scene at the Landsmeet, perhaps going through Loghains joining, you spend 5-10,000 words to wrap up a 200,000 word story. This is partially my own aesthetics by I strongly prefer to have my endings lingered over a bit more.

However that really isn't an important criticism here, because unlike some books I've read (and here this is a positive comparison to published literature, not other fan fiction) you gave the important plot points resolving the questions which the novel was about plenty of time. Just didn't linger over what happened next as long as I'd tend to like.

Anyways very solid large story.
timunderwood9 chapter 33 . 5/6/2012
Managing a large story like this with the sort of very non happy fan ficcy (but quite Dragon Agey) set of twists is quite impressive and I definitely approve.

Making them enemies still in love with each other, after spending a hundred thousand words establishing that their relationship is I think brilliant.
435 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »