Reviews for because clearly, he still means something
ClaireBear1982 chapter 1 . 8/15/2013
I hate the Black family mania! Sirius deserved to know so much more than he did about his own brothers death! Poor Cissy having to so coldly and so removed have to word it like that...
Stained Glass Rose chapter 1 . 8/24/2012
Beautiful. I think you made incredibly effective use of the second-person and it's often difficult to do well. I like that Bellatrix is the bearer of bad news here and also the repetition of "Sirius, Sirius, Sirius" in the first line. Initially, I thought Sirius had died, but as far as I'm concerned, it didn't take away from the fic. On the contrary, the confusion felt appropriate because grief does tend to produce it, both in the bereaved and in their comforters-or at least, that's my experience of it. You evoked the emotion very nicely throughout the fic, even as short as it is and it's a skill that I most definitely envy.

I didn't quite understand the use of the word "oblivious" in the second sentence because it implies to me that she pretends not to hear her sister and I can't imagine she could do so with any hope of success, but perhaps I've misunderstood. Those issues aside, I love the line "the only reason she came to tell you about Regulas's [sic] death was to see your reaction (Which [sic] you never gave)." Although the audience can already tell that Narcissa didn't respond visibly to her sister's provocation, I like the parenthesized notation, as if to make it clear-as if Narcissa holds it as a matter of pride that she didn't relent, despite the "uneasy" silence. (I think it's a little redundant to describe the silence as "quiet," but that's a very minor nitpick.)

There's something incredibly lovely and incredibly tragic about the fact that Narcissa can fill "two scrolls of parchment" for a letter-enough for an entire conversation-and yet she can't exchange a word with her sister or for that matter, with her cousin in any real sense. My heart broke when the letter "finds itself in the fire instead" because it's the destruction of her single attempt (and single opportunity for) communication. I like that Lucius notices her distraction, but doesn't comment because I think it's very typical of him to feel-or feign-disinterest and I imagine that Lucius would try to comfort her with a reminder that Sirius is a blood traitor.

There are a couple typos, e.g. "than" rather than "then" in the second line and "Regulas's" instead of "Regulus's" and I noticed a couple lines that could, perhaps, have flown a little more smoothly, especially in the section about Lucius. I'd be happy to point them out if you're at all interested, but I know the fic is a few years old and it is a pretty subjective issue. Still more subjective, I'm not a huge fan of the broken-down/spelled-out words because I didn't entirely understand their purpose and I think they might've been more effective if they'd been used more sparingly. Overall, though, the story moved quite nicely from one moment to the next and the stylistic touches were quite nice. The last lines are truly stunning. I love the minimalism-and I can easily see it as part of Narcissa's aesthete-and the conflation between what she can do and what Sirius deserves for her to do. It's a lovely piece of work; kudos.
BellaPur chapter 1 . 5/1/2011
Heartbreakingly beautiful.
roslintower chapter 1 . 1/14/2011
Short and sad, not sweet. *sniffle*

Nicely dramatic ending, although it was a bit cliched. Well expressed, beautifully written, a thoughtful oneshot.
Inkfire chapter 1 . 10/31/2010
I loved this. Narcissa's feelings were very well expressed, towards the whole family. Very emotional, yet sober. Great work!
Free Dreamer Night Writer chapter 1 . 10/27/2010
A powerful amount of emotion in just a few words. I could feel Narcissa's need to fill what she clearly thought was an obligation, and the way she knew she had to keep it a secret.
coeurfeyrac chapter 1 . 10/25/2010
LLOVELOVELOVELOVELOVE.

LOVE.

LOOOVE.

CAN'T HELP IT.

LOVEEE.

The way you write Narcissa... fdobfion. It's amazing. Phenominal. Beautiful. Ingenious. I need a theasaurus...

And how she still cares for Sirius. And Bellatrix.

AND the end- with the letter? PERFECT. FANTASTIC.

...I NEED TO FAVOURITE. NOW. BEFORE IT KIIILLS MEEE.
controlled climb chapter 1 . 10/23/2010
You portrayed Narcissa beautifully here. I really liked the emotional battle she was having, and how torn her loyalties were.

The only things that frustrated me about this was the spelling of Regulus, and the broken words. I found the broken words (though picked quite well) weren't really necessary. Personal preference, I guess.

Other than that, I really adored this. The emotions were done wonderfully, and it was a nice read. Good job.
NickyFox13 chapter 1 . 10/3/2010
I like how you portrayed Narcissa and Sirius's relationship for Regulus since I believe that their interactions would be super fascinating. Keep up the awesome work!
DramioneLurver chapter 1 . 9/23/2010
Oh, I like the ending, with Narcissa thinking that's all Sirius deserves to know. You really captured a relationship that is quite plausible, yet I've never even thought of. I llove the way she writes two long letters, but ends up with the two words. Nice work.
Morghen chapter 1 . 9/22/2010
Oh, wow. This is so heartbreaking but I really liked it. The idea if Narcissa feeling as if she should be the one to inform Sirius of Regulus' death is something that never crossed my mind but you handled it so well. I loved the connection she still felt with Sirius despite the fact she should hate him.

My nitpick is that you spelt Regulus "Regulas."

-Morghen
ToxicRainfall chapter 1 . 9/22/2010
This was a really interesting piece! I always thought of Narcissa being a lot kinda than the other pure-blood supremists we know of, and I love that you've made it so that you can see that she still cares about her family, despite their status within their community.

The only problem I had with it was the words that were spread out like t-h-i-s. I'm not sure why that was done and it kind of interrupts the flow a little. It may be better it they're put in italics.

Overall, however, I did really like this, and so keep up the good work!
Perchance A Primrose chapter 1 . 9/21/2010
This was really good. I love the way that the title doesn't give anything away but it's so much more meaningful after you've read it.

I love thinking that Narcissa wouldn't show her emotions so that Bella didn't get that stasifaction. It's so like her to do that.

Great job

-Prim
Julia Claire chapter 1 . 9/20/2010
Goodness, this was beautiful. I mean, some really, really gorgeous writing here, and it's only 300 words. I usually try to quote my favourite lines in my reviews, but there are just too many here to pick from!

My only complaint is that I think the w-o-r-d-s spelled out thing was a tad overdone. Once or twice would have been good, but I think you used it too many times.

I love how you portrayed Narcissa and how you ended the piece - it was perfect.
hot chocolate mess chapter 1 . 9/20/2010