Reviews for A Life of Lives
Rosemarie Belikova chapter 1 . 10/7/2012
Great story. I really liked it. I've always been interested in reincarnation and such. And everyone else was reborn in some way so Kisara should be able to be as well. Ironically enough, I recently made up a Yu-Gi-Oh character that is the reincarnation of Kisara. lol :)
Namara Jane Knight chapter 1 . 4/16/2012
This was awesome. It may have been short, but it was awesome. And you did hit the nail on the head with the different history periods. All could have been possible and your info was most certainly accurate (I am kinda a history and mythology geek). I am certainly favoriting this and telling all my friends to read this.
ReadyFred-ReadyGeorge chapter 1 . 3/7/2012
Wow...just wow...I've never read a reincarnation fic before, and I doub I will again, because how could it possibly top this? :) Incredible job, I loved the mix of OOC and canon in Set's various characterisations, especially the latest one, good idea to use his canon persona as a cover for the 'real seto' underneath, and such a beautiful ending, even if it did come at the expense of a Blue-eyes card, which canon-kaiba would have probably rather shot himself than part with :)

Am I detecting an Assassin's creed reference with Da Vinci's appearance? Or was it just coincidence. I play those games too much, so it may just be me. Great section though :)

Also, in the Viking segment, the North Sea, which I assume Set was travelling on, was called the 'Sea of Worms' in Nordic legend, and it was believed that huge Sea-Dragons would appear out of the waves and devour ships. Just a thought, if you ever re-did this fic, might be a good detail to throw in to show how seto's memories were spurred. Not that it particularly needs any kind of update, just thought it'd be a tidbit I could throw out there.

All in all, truly brilliant. May Ra shower his blessings upon you, and may your dragons always be white, blue-eyed and come in threes :)

RFRG
SkywardShadow chapter 1 . 11/10/2010
Oh my Ra...so much awesomeness; I can't even...

Reincarnation fics/books/whatever in general rock, IMHO. And I've read a load of them, but I've never read one where the person in question remembers everything, every time, so that was a fascinating take on that. (Out of curiosity, have you ever read the book 'Reincarnation' by Suzanne Weyn? Because that was what this fic kept reminding me of..)

I love how Seto progresses throughout all of his lifetimes, the ways in which he slowly changes and the ways in which he stays the same. That was really well done. And after all that time, all he went through, he finally got her back. Such a satisfying ending. *happy sigh*

My favorite part would have to be a tie between the life in Italy (love da Vinci, love how Set really started feeling the strain in that lifetime; it was pretty heartbreaking to watch) and the life in Japan (it was just awesome to get a take on the whole thing from our Kaiba's point of view, and so cool to watch everything finally fall together). I liked the American bit, too, when he was all happy and...er, well. I guess I liked everything.

Awesomely done!
Nietzsche's Itch chapter 1 . 10/16/2010
Brilliant all the way through. I like the way you've made him remember from early on and he's essentially playing them all for fools by saying he doesn't believe in magic. And I like how he just abandons the card at the end in return for the girl and it proves he's as human as the rest of them. Nice work :)
Doubleplusgoodduckspeaker chapter 1 . 9/29/2010
(sorry if you're getting two of these... the site died when I tried to send the review just now...)

I AM proud of you-this read very smoothly and flowed so nicely! I wasn't distracted by any of the commas at all! :) I thought it was very cool to have Seto continually being reincarnated, and so showed that very nicely in the Renaissance section in my opinion-having him finally exploring, even doubting a little, the intricacies of his situation. And you always showed him being dynamic, always looking for her, even if he didn't realize it at the time. Great!

One little thing to comment on:

"Athens with the Olympic Games and the Parthenon"

The Olympic games were at the sanctuary at Olympia, which is way across the Peloponnese, far from Athens ... Athens had its own Panhellenic games (that's really what they are considered, for 'all of Hellas' or all of Greece); they were probably called the Athenian games or Panathenaia or something like that. Sorry, I took an entire course on ancient sports, so it was all ingrained in my head for awhile :D

I loved this, it was so clever and the story was very well-told. As an aside, when I first read your title I thought it was 'A life of lies' not lives. xD Oops... but it makes sense now! Anyways, this was a wonderful story! Great job!
yllimilly chapter 1 . 9/28/2010
I really really enjoyed reading this. It had it all - some angst, some supernatural, some romance, some understatement, even something for the (history) nerd in me. It's been a treat. I'd love to delve into this in detail, but my time is limited. Sorry for the short review, your fic deserves more than this.

Good luck - although you won't need it.

Milly
Animom chapter 1 . 9/28/2010
I enjoyed this! The historical sketches organized the story wonderfully (and your research shows without being overwhelming). The ending was imaginative and touching, and somehow I can almost see Seto doing that when he gets older (perhaps he and Mr Crawford can compare notes on bringing women you've loved and lost back to life. :p)
shadowneko003 chapter 1 . 9/26/2010
Love the historical details you've incorporated.
jadedly chapter 1 . 9/23/2010
After waiting until after I posted mine to read this I am once again worried that it will pale in comparison to this. XD GOSH WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE SO FABULOUS? (...Unintentional Abridged referance FTW? XD)

This was extremely creative, and I really loved it. You did such a fantastic job - and I noticed something! You cut down on the commas! I'm so proud of you~ I also really appreciate how much research went into this story, and the way it flowed was positively brilliant~

Enough shameless praising, now XD

My favorite setting would have to be the one in Greece. Something about Set living in Greece doing something so mundane as filling a water jug is just so fantastically appealing to me. :)

Honestly, I couldn't track down any flaws with this, and if there were any they were so minor that they hardly detracted from the story. You did wonderfully, as I have said at least three times now (XD) and even though I very much doubt you'll need it, good luck! :D

~Paige
ladyblackwell chapter 1 . 9/22/2010
Interesting premise and very well written! I'm a huge fan of historical fiction, and I was really impressed with the way you depicted the different time periods. I particularly liked the descirptions of his life in Imperial China and all the dragon motifs he was surrounded by. Very vivid.

Mmm, but I'm not so sure that Seto believed in magic all along. I mean, so much of his character is skepticism/athiesm/living for the current moment. He says in the series that he doesn't care about his past, that all that is important to him is moving toward the future. I think this needed either a few more oneshots in which he forgot his past, or maybe a distinction between pre- and post- Memory World Kaiba.

That's just my opinion though, and don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed reading this! *is not very good at giving critiques* You are very talented. :D
RedRainStar chapter 1 . 9/21/2010
That was really good! I liked it. It's unusual. Keep it up!
safa'at jeruth chapter 1 . 9/20/2010
This is Keruth, too lazy to log in xD

Anyway, I have to say that I really loved your story. Your writing of Set's despair that he couldn't find Kisara was excellent, and I especially enjoyed the part where the doctor said that 'he's always been the crazy one.' I never imagined that Set would actually be called crazy, but there it is! (And he got to meet DaVinci! I suppose that fits the 'reincarnated-inheritence,' so to speak, of his intelligence and social status, but it still surprised me xD)

Your characterization was generally good, although I can't say much for Kisara because she only appeared twice (I must commend you on writing Mizu where Kisara never has a single line of dialogue - that takes skill. And it makes Set's obsession with her seem slightly creepy, but I can definitely understand it... :D). There's only one inconsistency that I caught: he claims that he remembers everything as Kaiba, but wouldn't that sort of throw away all of Kaiba's canon skepticism about magic out the window? (Especially in Battle City, where his thoughts are surprised when he can read hieroglyphs and starts getting flashbacks.) Unless, of course, you altered canon somewhat or Kaiba's just putting on a show for everyone else - although that still doesn't cover his thought-process scenes. Or maybe I'm just overthinking... )

I greatly admire all the research you must have done to complete this (Wikipedia is very useful, isn't it? XD), as well as the drastic differences in the time periods you chose. Your writing mechanics were excellent, although I think I still detected a few unwanted commas (or maybe not; you've certainly cut down on them!).

Anyway, great job and good luck in the contest!

~ Keruth
My Misguided Fairytale chapter 1 . 9/20/2010
Gahh! xD You misspell 'ambivalent' in your A/N! xD I always feel so funny correcting A/N typos since it's not in the technical "story" xD There was one more small error too:

"...behave differently towards anyone, even if they were a 'genius'." - should be 'genius.' with the quotation mark outside of the punctuation. Same thing with the title of "The Fight between a Dragon and a Lion" a few lines down. Although sometimes I know people are instructed to put the quotation mark on the inside, so if that's the case disregard that part! xD

I really, really liked this idea! I think it's super creative (and I can tell you did a lot of research for it) and I especially liked that the vignettes went all over the world - I especially liked the Victorian England one, because we got to see a lot of Set's character in it. I felt like that might have been the only disadvantage of the vignettes; they were (for the most part) too short to get a really good sense of his character beyond the, "oh, he's still in love with Kisara and waiting for her forever," routine. I especially wanted to see more (or at least language with more depth) in the opening section - I think because of everything that was going on (canon-wise) Set wouldn't really have had a chance to really grieve until after the Zorc mess had ended and he was Pharaoh. I didn't get as strong a sense that he was living these long lives over and over again with no Kisara - that must have been torture, but you only really go into that in the Renaissance section (and someone calls him 'crazy' in the Scandinavia section xD).

I think what I like most about this piece is that while it's over 5k words, it doesn't feel all that long because of the formatting and how concise your writing is. It's written very well, and your descriptions are excellent, and the reader really gets a sense for the particular era in (at times) only a few paragraphs. I also think your use of parenthesis is really effective here, my favorite parts were the lines: "(It wasn't, and he didn't.)" and "(He was so tired. So tired of losing)."

Still, great job this round, and keep up the great work! D

~Jess (My Misguided Fairytale)