Reviews for Dumbledore's Final Trick
gginsc chapter 1 . 2/18
So Dumble's final trick is to get Potter to willingly enslave himself.
Guest chapter 1 . 9/30/2019
Yes, many manipulative dumbledore stories are extremely farfetched. I used to like that when I first started reading fan fiction - which caused me to dislike, like I still do, certain characters I was pretty apathetic about before - but now it irritates me as I feel like it’s really cliché. And I don’t like stories that show dumbledore as good, as I can’t stand it, but I’m slowly, almost warming up to him. I think the main thing for me is that dumbledore has a LOT of power, and power can corrupt even the best of people, although there was a famous quote that it’s not power that corrupts, but the fear of losing that power (ironically, she fell in the same trap). Albus definitely did not have absolute power, with people like Lucius Malloy, Umbridge, Fudge, etc. going around, but he still has a great amount of power, influence, contacts, etc. This is clearly shown with the ginormous amount of titles he has.

I honestly can’t be bothered to finish this, so take was you will, but these are just random musings. I think most of the people writing these are just doing it because they can - isn’t that the point of fanfiction? Anyway, on second thought, this is probably aimed at those theorists in canon so that doesn’t matter does it? I think there are a many possibilities with canon Dumbledore. Manipulative, misguided, good, maybe it’s all an act and he’s just going with the flow, perhaps he’s gone a bit loopy from the stress of all of his jobs and done a lot of silly things. Who knows, the possibilities are endless. I’m sure you’ll be able to disprove some of these as they’re off the top of my head.

So much for not finishing, though this review isn’t conclusive, and is definitely a load of rambling that no one will ever see. Anyway I loved your time travel fic, which brought me here!e
Guest chapter 1 . 4/17/2019
It is quite jarring that you don't bother to put a name on Harry's girlfriend, if you wanted to keep it open, it would have been better to not mention a girlfriend at all.
Instead you have a number of contrived and empty mentions that distract from the story.

The oneshot would work better if you either put a name on her and described her properly rather than some vague nonsense, or cut her out entirely.
Musings chapter 1 . 7/5/2018
Old story, but I just have to respond to your abuse comments: Mental abuse leaves scars that exceed that of physical abuse. If you had any idea how humans operate you'd know that.

Don't talk about abuse if you have no idea, asshole.
Centaurious chapter 1 . 5/22/2017
The only two words that Harry could say that would guarantee his freedom are 'Avada Kedavra'.
I'll leave it up to you to decide which way the wand was pointing.
dogbertcarroll chapter 1 . 4/17/2017
There are always two a master and an apprentice.
ShaiGar chapter 1 . 9/10/2016
Excellent story.
senawario chapter 1 . 1/17/2016
My problem with Dumbles is the discrepancy in his treatment of (a) Snape on one extreme, (b) most other DEs in the middle, and (c) Sirius on the other extreme in 1981. That is the basis on which I class him as more evil than Voldemort, and why unless a lot of AU happens I don't agree with Dumbles apologists.
The Wayland Smith chapter 1 . 3/8/2015
I can't remember if I ever reviewed this story when I first read it, I just wanted to say I adore it, as much as ever, and I agree with your notes at the end about Dumbledore's characterisation and the irritating nature of manipulative Dumbledore fics.
jonski chapter 1 . 2/1/2015
I also don't get why people think Harry should be Slytherin because the hat said so. Harry doesn't have any Slytherin qualities in him and its only Tom's tiny soul in Harry's head that gave him some slytherin trait(like parseltounge). Im sure Harry without a hocrux inside his head the Hat would immidiately say GRYFFINDOR.
The Dark One Rising chapter 1 . 1/1/2015
The beginning cracked me up. While still amusing, the conversation took a rather serious turn. I agree with most views expressed. However, simplifying the protections of the Stone seem a bit far fetched.

I like your characterization of Dumbledore. Refreshing, really. I can stomach manipulative Dumbledore, as long as it isn't too outrageous. I refuse to read evil Dumbledore.

Most twin fanfictions make the Potters either evil, idiots or Dumbledore sycophants. Dumbledore is usually evil or misguided. The twin is usually arrogant and rude or incredibly ignorant. Rarely is, for it is usually a male, likable. Have you found any that have defied these rather annoying conventions?
Um the Muse chapter 1 . 10/20/2014
While I'm not quite convinced by your characterization of Dumbledore, it sounds a lot better than the manipulative, evil version so prevalent on this site.

In fact, that's what I like so much about your characters: just like you explained in your note at the end, characters are much better when they have both good and bad parts to them.

Even though this kind of goes against what we were just discussing, would you consider writing a story where Dumbledore mentors Harry and they both become master manipulators?
Dead Turtle chapter 1 . 5/27/2014
*slow clap*

Wonderful. Simply wonderful.
random-k chapter 1 . 11/28/2013
That is a really good point
Procusi chapter 1 . 8/25/2013
He isn't intelligent and powerful. That's the problem. We are told he is intelligent and powerful, but he turns out to be stupid, manipulative, and useless.

He allows numerous death eaters to bribe their way out of prison while not ensuring Sirius gets a trial. He is the head of the government and the school, but does NOTHING to prevent death eaters from getting more power and wealth in preparation for Vs return. He believes V is coming back, but does NOTHING for the 11 years between Vs death and Harry's arrival at Hogwarts. He does NOTHING to stop Snape from decimating the ranks of healers and aurors through his aweful potion classes and NOTHING to stop Snape from breeding mini-deatheaters.

It's not a clever subversion of the trope - it's false advertising. Dumbledores actions don't show us that he is human - they show us he is a moron.
54 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »