Reviews for Come a Stranger
Angervo chapter 20 . 4/21/2014
Thank you for a very nice story! The ending left many questions unanswered, though - the reason for Porter 's betrayal, for example. If he had been treated badly, why did he stay for years? He could have stolen the jewellery any time - why wait for Esther? And how had they planned to escape? Still, the story was cute and I liked the idea of Dempsey meeting Harry's father.
TheSonOfSpikings chapter 1 . 1/23/2012
this is a great chapter, really enjoyed it. always thought Makepeace was very much at home with her posh friends in a stately home. well done, thanks for posting
Slyquinn chapter 19 . 2/2/2011
I don't know what happened there... I'm reviewing chapter 20 now!

What a beautiful nightmare, boy you're talented. You left the door wide opened there didn't you?

- It's a feeling that overrides every natural impulse I have, but it's the truth. lol I could so imagine her having a hard time admitting it.

- "Hello,"

"Angel,"

Relief flooded through her.

"James, I…." I need you.

The words had only been spoken in her head, but he heard them.

"I'm on my way."

OMG , I love what you've created. Talk about unison baby!

Slyquinn chapter 20 . 2/2/2011
Dempsey got it really bad didn't he.

- She'd never seen him like this before, so very vulnerable, and she hated it. I can understand why, they gotta a love/hate going on... That's what makes it so good.

- They were right in the bull's eye of winter, and suddenly she yearned for longer days, for sunshine and an end to this bitter freeze. Tell me about it ;-)

The fact that Harry is a tough feisty woman and a sweet daughter always hit me, there's something I like about that. ... " And Mummy?" Adorable.

- "Lucy was a couple of years older than him, and a real live wire...". Mmmmm, that is good to know for the future Fleura...

So it wasn't so bad after all, Freddy and Lucy fell in love. And Harry understands, ah ha! Appreciated you writing about her mom, a vulnerable and secretive side of our favorite police woman.
Duann chapter 20 . 1/30/2011
Poor Dempsey having nightmares but Harry is by his side. I love the ending:

"Hello,"

"Angel,"

Relief flooded through her.

"James, I…." I need you.

The words had only been spoken in her head, but he heard them.

"I'm on my way."

very romantic!
xLaramiex chapter 20 . 1/30/2011
Aww, lovely ending there.

And a marvellous story! I very much enjoyed it :)
xLaramiex chapter 19 . 1/30/2011
"Did the chief know more than he was letting on?"

Of course. Spikings knows everything :)
xLaramiex chapter 17 . 1/30/2011
Oh, pants! I'd forgotten all about Porter! Very tense chapter; great writing.
haveunotthought chapter 20 . 1/30/2011
I am in awe of the nightmare so well written

I like the opportunities they took to discuss trusting each other.

James and his thoughts on getting home and withholding that from Harry for a bit longer made me smile and the absolute oneness demonstrated by the phonecall at the end was a beautiful place to leave this story however I hope you will come back with more in the future
xLaramiex chapter 16 . 1/30/2011
Aww. Are you making them all traitors? xD You're turning her world upside-down, here.
Krato chapter 20 . 1/30/2011
I'm actually filling up here with this stupid grin on my face! Those last words - sheer perfection!

The dream was very descriptive with the laundry smell and the broken glass etc. and i liked the idea of him feeling so alone and vulnerable. Maybe because the last thing he remembers is Harry 'leaving' him and him thinking it was because she didn't fully trust him.

He knew his face was wet with tears, and he felt ashamed. "Sorry…" he began,... he's totally laid bare and feels guilty for not being stronger and for revealing to her this 10 year old child inside him. I imagine nobody has ever seen him so exposed before.

It was priceless - such a loss - but still, only an object."

Marvellous 'Harry' dialogue.

"It ain't stupid angel, but we're partners. We work as a team. Things don't go so well when we don't."

"We are, aren't we?" she said, looking into his eyes. "I'm not going to forget it again."... sigh... on every level.

London town, his home - who'd have though it? He smiled to himself, thinking he would keep that sentiment from Harry for a while... very nice touch

I liked the 'natural impulse' lines and 'He wanted to come home with her' was so beautiful just on its own.

The last paragraph showed that beautiful connection between them, both waking at the same moment and their thoughts bringing them together.

I sincerely hope you've got another story in the pipeline and thank you so much for writing this one.
Krato chapter 19 . 1/29/2011

Beautiful line - I can read it again and again.

"Gotta get to work… gonna be late...chief's gonna suspect…."... even in this state, he's worrying that Spikings will get wind of the relationship.

They sat in the library in armchairs, the fire in the grate between them a buffer against the gloom. Outside, long shadows were falling across the crystallised snow on the lawn... You're so very good at creating a 'feel'.

Completely believable back-story for dear Freddy. I feel like it's set in stone now and that 'is' his past.

I'm thinking that the final chapter is going to be quite romantic? Please?
haveunotthought chapter 19 . 1/29/2011
Beautiful in a sad sort of way.

The concussion was well covered and that dawning of Harry that spikings wasn't surprised that dempsey was there.

The conversation between father and daughter poignant but expressed true love very well
Duann chapter 19 . 1/29/2011
Poor Dempsey! I've never seen him in such a state. I hope he'll get better soon. Harry wondering how much Spikings knows is interesting. She'd never thought he might know :) I like the story of her mother's. It's romantic though Giles felt hurt. Sometimes love just happens when you least expect it - something Harry knows best :)
Duann chapter 18 . 1/26/2011
it's a great story. I read it in one evening and it felt like a great film. Loved the characters - they are very convincing. harry and James are so wonderful together. I am so glad Harry saved the day at the end. Good girl! She has proven herself.