Reviews for Death on the Doorstep
Lilly B chapter 1 . 10/20/2010
great one-shot...i really ejoyed reading it!
KKBELVIS chapter 1 . 10/1/2010
Would certainly go that exact way!

Nice to see...

Thank you for filling in the blank.

Smiles,

Karen
criminally charmed chapter 1 . 10/1/2010
Poor Sam - but I hope something like this shows up as a flashback.
carocali chapter 1 . 9/28/2010
I really like how this all plays out - especially the car. And Bobby doesn't force Sam either way; he lets him make his own decision about Dean and stands by him. Nicely done!

:D
PointOfView chapter 1 . 9/27/2010
You went & wrote another one. Oh thank you. Thank you thank you!

I can't give an in depth review at the moment because I'm actually afraid of reading this one until - well until I post my own. Yes this episode bothered me so very badly that I (a person who has admitted on numerous occasions that she can not write) had to try & fix what the writer's have done.

I wanted to ask you a question but the only access I have to the Internet right now is my iPhone which for some reason hates the LimpSam message board & won't let me look up your email on . If you wouldn't care to help me out could you email me.

I appreciate it if you have a few minutes to spare. If you're too busy I understand.

Thanks - Brenna
charming2drew chapter 1 . 9/27/2010
Awee! I love it! :) I really hope we get to learn about what happened to Sam in the cage.
LaylaBinx chapter 1 . 9/27/2010
Haha, cute! I like seeing where the new car came from .- Great job! :D
Marianna Morgan chapter 1 . 9/27/2010
Thanks for filling in the gaps with your stories - they help me cling to my sanity!
vonnie836 chapter 1 . 9/27/2010
Sad to see Sam right after hell, unwilling to even stay with Bobby. But you made it understandable. He told Bobby that the real Sam is still in the cage and what came back isn't what Dean needs or wants. He probably felt the same about Bobby. And then there is the guilt of not saving the old hunter. Loved it, sure explained a lot. Hugs, Vonnie
CeCe Away chapter 1 . 9/27/2010
I should have read this one first like you said too. I'm a dummy. Anyhoo:

This sums up everything so beautifully it hurts: "But, I don't know what else to do. I can't give him what he needs… I'm not that person anymore." He looked up at the overcast night; rain pelted his pale face. "The little brother he wants and loves is still in the pit, Bobby, so really, my being here? It's just semantics.

Gah . . . just wonderful, and sad.
Southern Spell chapter 1 . 9/27/2010
I've been trying to figure out how Sam could reason that it would be better to let Dean think he was in hell, since he has first hand knowledge of how hard it is to loose his brother to hell. Also I thought that Sam was very...cold? But I guess he's had the time to pull himself together and figure things out by 6.01. (not to say I didn't love the episode, I was just a little blindsided how unemotional Sam was). I was also not excepting Bobby to know Sam was back.

This fic and its companion piece have done a lot in helping me wrap my head around this episode. Now I think I've got a better idea of where Sam's coming from and can see that it most likely wasn’t an easy choice for him to make, and stick to.

You did a great job with this story. Thanks for sharing!
Nana56 chapter 1 . 9/27/2010
Wait...what? I'm not sure I got that last part. Was Sam there or not?

Maybe he was there and left only to come back a couple of nights later when he'd had time to adjust?

Did he take the car with him that first night?

Sorry! I have so many questions! Eeeek!

I did really enjoy this, tho. Very, very good! :)
Red Hardy chapter 1 . 9/27/2010
I'm on dial up at the moment (yeah, there are a few places in the world that still use dial up! LOL!) and too lazy to log in but you know where to find me. ;-)

Glad to see your muse has returned! With a vengeance too, huh? Two stories in two days! Yay for us!

"Sam?" the word was a throaty hiss.

-Oh man that captures Bobby's voice PERFECTLY! I can hear him so clearly!

"Sam?" Bobby repeated, his heart hammering hopefully in his chest. "That you, kid?"

"Bobby?" Sam's voice was reed thin; too small and broken sounding to be from the man mere inches in front of him… or to be anyone else.

-WAAHH!

And then Sam was griping him back tightly, Bobby's name a sobbed exclamation against the hunter's neck.

-Girl, what have I told you about this before? I can't read if I'm crying!

Logically Bobby knew there were tests he should be doing first but, damn it all, after everything they had been through recently, he had no doubt about who this was. And if any of them deserved a second chance in the aftermath of that apocalypse, it was Sam.

-Damn straight! And I'm a Dean girl saying that!

So putting common hunting courtesy aside...

-LOL! I guess every occupation has their own common courtesy's!

"I – uh – didn't know, you know, that you were, ah, alive?" it came out as a question and Bobby frowned wondering what Sam was trying to say. Considered one of the intellectuals of the hunting community, it tore at Bobby to see Sam practically stumbling over his words and knew where the uncertainty was coming from. Hell.

-Aw, poor Sammy. :-(

"I, well, I didn't know where else to go, what else to do, you know? First I was there and then I was here…" Sam rambled on.

-Because it's human nature to go 'home' when you have nowhere else to turn and Bobby is home!

"No, no, not here, here. Here, in the cemetery, here. I woke up in the field, alone and it was raining." Sam tried to clarify. "I tried to find Dean first."

"He's with Lisa," Bobby immediately offered and Sam actually smiled.

"I know. I saw him. Them." Fondness and longing colored his face. "He looked happy."

"I don't know if happy is the word I'd use," Bobby mused then regretted saying anything as he saw the emotion bleed off Sam's face, leaving him looking resolute and cold.

-I'm glad Bobby said that. Getting on with life isn't exactly the same as being happy. And no matter how much Dean may love Lisa and Ben, they will never be able to replace Sam in his life. NO ONE can do that!

"He is happy, Bobby. I could see it." Sam's conviction was cement hard and left Bobby wondering who he was trying to convince. "Yes, he's hurting. I know that. I'm not stupid but I also know he's better off there… with them."

-Aw, Sammy, he might be better off there but better off doesn't necessarily equal happy. The poor kid. He just wants Dean to be happy SO BAD!

"I don't want Dean to know about me being back. I want him to live his life, his safe and normal family life, the way he wants to. Not the way he thinks he'd have to if he knows I'm back… I love him, Bobby, too much to drag him back into all this, especially not when I don't even know what the hell I'm doing back. I mean, who brought me back? And why? Dean's been dealing with my crap all his life… and it isn't fair. It's time I stood on my own two feet and took care of my own clean up."

-Aw, Sammy, you are such a good brother. Bu I don't think Dean can escape the hunting life any more than you did at Stanford. A few years maybe but when the dark side decides its time for you to get back in the game, you don't have much choice. You can only protect Dean until someone from the other side decides otherwise.

"He went to hell for me." A heartbreaking smile warred with the shininess of unshed tears. "I have new understanding about that now and I can't…" he shook his head, his resolve back in place. "I won't do that to him again."

-I love that Sam sees that in a new light now.

"Sam," Bobby understood. It wasn't necessarily the 'right' thing to do, Dean should know, but he also understood where Sam was coming from. And more than that, as he stared at the young man standing in front of him, almost as much a shadow as the darkness surrounding him, he wondered if Sam somehow needed this, as much for Dean as for himself. Sighing loudly, Bobby closed his eyes briefly and shook his head. "He's hurting, Sam. You know that. He misses his brother."

"I know." Sam shoved his hands in his pockets and shivered again. "But, I don't know what else to do. I can't give him what he needs… I'm not that person anymore." He looked up at the overcast night; rain pelted his pale face. "The little brother he wants and loves is still in the pit, Bobby, so really, my being here? It's just semantics. So why mess with what Dean can have? This is the only thing I can do for him so I'm going to do it."

-Damn, girl, everything that the show has gotten so wrong in the last few seasons, you got so RIGHT in just two paragraphs! We really need to get you on that show as a writer!

"Sorry I couldn't save you. Stop him… you know? The bastard."

Bobby didn't fail to notice how Sam avoided saying 'Lucifer' but didn't say anything, instead he offered the kid absolution. "You did save me, Sam. You saved us all."

-DAMN STRAIGHT!

"No, I can't… stay. Not right now. Bobby," Sam looked worried, "you won't say anything to Dean, right? About me?"

"I tell you what," Bobby gave what reassurance he could. "How about this? If he doesn't ask, I won't tell. But can I ask you one more thing first?"

-Damn, I love Bobby!

Sam's face grew guarded but he nodded anyway.

"You know what it's like to lose a brother to hell – do you really think Dean can ever just let you go like this?"

The shadows swallowed Sam as he gaze dipped back down. He shook his head but didn't answer.

"Okay then," Bobby sighed heavily. "Just so you know."

-Thank you for that! This is the Sammy I know and love. Seriously, we need to get you a job writing scripts this season!

"Yeah. I do." Sam looked up at the older man again, his eyes piercing with so much emotion Bobby had to force himself not to look away. "But he has a real family to comfort him, Lisa and Ben, they love him… they'll take good care of him. All I had was a demon." He blinked and offered an apologetic shrug. "Well, you know what I mean."

-ARGH! SAMMY! You ARE Dean's 'real family'. You and ONLY you!

"Walked mostly," Sam admitted. "Was kind of hoping you'd have something working that I could borrow once I got here."

"Borrow? Don't you mean 'inherit'. You thought I was dead, kid." Bobby corrected with a huff.

-ROTFL!

"Well you were right about one thing," he flashed the kid a smile thinking that he did have a car the kid could use. A cherry of a ride too that Bobby had been saving a long time for. But right now, there was nothing more he wanted from that vehicle than to give it away. To Sam. "Boy, do I have a car for you…"

-Aw, I LOVE Bobby!

Reaching out to tap Sam on the arm to get him to follow, Bobby led him away from the house and towards the shed. "But if you so much as get a dent on her-"

It was right about there that Bobby was sure Sam tuned him out…

And then Sam showed up on his doorstep, again in the dark, a couple of nights later…

-What? WHAT? How can you leave it there? What happened a coupld nights later? I guess you'll just have to write antoher story to let us know, now won't you?

What a wonderful surprise this was on a rainy Monday morning! THANKS!
JustOnePogostick chapter 1 . 9/27/2010
I know, *know* TV and fiction are two different media, and time contraints, and a story line we can't really grasp this early in the season, sometimes leads to an episode that isn't quite as satisfying as some of us would have liked (read that as me), so I want you to know this tag is excellent because we get to experience an emotional foundation to what happens in 6.01, which I personally felt was a bit lacking in the actual ep. Of course, Sam would have gone to Bobby's house, thinking it was abandoned, so that was a great point to include here. You articulated a plausible reason that Sam has stayed away from Dean with the following: "But, I don't know what else to do. I can't give him what he needs… I'm not that person anymore." But Sam thinks Ben can be the person that Dean needs to protect.
SunnyZim chapter 1 . 9/27/2010
I loved this! I hope very much that it is not just wishful thing because I simply don't see how Sam could just leave Dean like that and then be so cold and clinical about it - I must admit that I didn't like the season premier Sam very much and would very much like to see the Sammy we know and love back:-( I hope that at some point we get a flashback like this which shows Sam's reasoning and that deciding not to tell Dean wasn't exactly an easy decision for him...at least in the sense that it cost him to keep his brother in the dark.