Reviews for The Ravenclaw Chronicles
Take it chapter 4 . 2/14
Also it's "whining"
Take it chapter 4 . 2/14
If you feel such a need to defend your work then obviously you are not a natural writer and you push and push yourself until it just comes out forced harsh and critical

Being overly critical in someone else's work always reflects back to bullying to make yourself feel better about yourself- no I'm not criticizing your work I'm criticizing your need to defend your work while putting down the original author of the series

Also just because someone grows up as the youngest and the only girl doesn't make someone spoiled or brash
nekoftal chapter 1 . 11/6/2015
I like this story!
J.A. Gould chapter 6 . 4/12/2015
This story, to me, seems to be little more than a justified wish fulfillment tale. I don't think this is written as a story, per se. It is much more a polemic on how you think Hermione should be within the guise of a story.

Half of the text is contained in author's notes.

Bashing Ginny under the guise of "this is my 'rational' take on Ginny" is not only disingenuous but ultimately bad writing. Honestly, I don't care for bashing at all, but usually I don't mind in the case of Ginny since she's virtually a blank slate. I just find your need to define everything in this - ultimately wish-fulfilling - diatribe as "rational" and logical to be dishonest.

In reality, this isn't a rational story at all. This also isn't much of a story with all the end notes taking up a large proportion of the word count.

I don't mean to be harsh, but the way you frame this story raises my ire. Your pretense is that this is the "true", "rational" story of Hermione. I don't think fanfiction works that way. I agree with the idea that good fiction should be coherent and reasonable, but not rational in the sense displayed here.

Basically, the feeling I get from this story is that it is a normative argument for your plot outline and not a true story at all. I'm sure this felt good to write on some level, but it's not good writing.

In the future I would recommend not taking your interpretation of canon so seriously when writing a fanfic. Just enjoy the characters you mold. Don't stress so much.

That's my sense, at least. Sorry if I offended. I was just a little vexed with this.
Anonyma S. Riter chapter 1 . 1/28/2015
According to Pottermore, Ravenclaws have access to a private library that leads off our common room, and since it's very expansive, Ravenclaws wouldn't go to the school library until around about Fifth year.
Guest chapter 6 . 7/8/2014
More! More! More! Please tell me there's more coming...
Lena Skye chapter 6 . 2/24/2014
Are you gonna continue? You should this is interesting
heywhoknewit chapter 4 . 6/13/2013
I agree with your idea of her intelligence but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't make such a big fuss if she was just the smartest in her class. Personally, think they meant the smartest of her generation
Josephine Stone chapter 1 . 3/12/2013
I just wanted to note on your question: Is the House system that divided?
In every book I've read with house systems based on real schools that have them (not just Harry Potter which changes a bit), they are that divided. In Among Others, they are allowed to buy their friends biscuits and have them given to them during dinner, but the main character gets 'in trouble' (from her house) for giving one to a girl in a different house that she is friendly with. This friendship is actively discouraged. You are to be nice to each other, but they worry about you undermining your own house.

JK, was doing something different or maybe she was trying to make a point about certain characters by having them have friends in different houses. (Like since they don't let their houses dictate their lives they are better people.) Harry/Cho should have been a huge scandal, they are both seekers on opposing house teams.

In RL they don't spilt up siblings, so the twins in Ravenclaw and Gryffindor wouldn't happen.

But in HP's world, friendships between houses seem to be okay, so I agree Hermione should be able to make friends elsewhere if she had any interest in making friends. Though the library is a great place to run into people it isn't the best place to talk. She'd probably be annoyed with someone who approached her there and I doubt she approach someone else.

One thing that always bothered me was her lack of muggle friends. I was not the most agreeable child and even I had friends. Harry and Ron had no interest in their best friend's life. There are lots of possibilities for her to have many other friends. She just never mentioned them to Harry and Ron. Think about it, the only reason they found out about Krum was the dance. He had to have talked to her before, at least to ask her out, and she never told them about the conversation. We get brief mentions of him and didn't they day for over a year?
Guest chapter 6 . 12/29/2012
You should really update! tbh i would prefer if it was Anthony/Hermione
TinchoRavenclaw chapter 6 . 10/19/2012
Hi! This fic is awesome! Please I need to know more, I really like it, you have to keep going, please? Greetings From Argentina!
Venetiangrl92 chapter 6 . 10/12/2012
you should finish this story! i like it a lot! please please please please please update soon! and please please please continue this story! xoxo
BrightsideDC chapter 1 . 1/29/2012
It's a shame this story seems to have been thrown to the wayside. /
1529 chapter 3 . 1/14/2012
You know, overall, I love the concept of this story, but execution seems to be more stereotyping than anything else. Your initial concept was and remains good, but, instead of really addressing anything, you simply switched the problem. Hermione is now a part of a 'Blue Trio' in Ravenclaw with a hanger-on (to this point) in Luna as well as a possible in Neville, where is the larger group of friends? Furthermore, your characterizations of the Gryffindors is extremely unflattering. While few probably live up to the standards of the Ravens (although how that would be known if the ranking structure is dependent upon students submitting their own grades, since the vast majority actually caring that much would be Ravenclaws, is questionable), it is completely unreasonable to expect that they completely lack talent. It is commonly shown in canon that Neville is a genius with herbology, much as Harry is with DADA (although it is mostly shown in 5th year, it is implied elsewhere). The claim that the 'claws are tops of their year doesn't really hold up to wider consideration. Ravenclaw, throughout canon, has a competitive Quidditch team, meaning that the number of points gained there is about equal with the other houses, they break very few rules (probably, and you are going by that idea), meaning fewer points lost than either Gryffindor or Slytherin. Since the end result is not the runaway victory of Ravenclaw in the House Cup, we can easily see that the actual intelligence and class leadership of the 'smartest house' cannot be overwhelming, or else they would win hands-down over the other three.

While it is not overtly stated throughout canon, any real look must lead to the knowledge that Fred and George are probably the stand-outs of their own year academically (in those courses they try in, which are probably the core classes as well as perhaps ancient runes and arithmancy), and Hermione is the top of their own year. Outside of those two, we don't have any real idea, but the preponderance of the evidence (what little exists) does nothing to prove the intelligence of the Ravenclaws (not to mention the bullying that is very nearly universal in the house in canon).

Your Hermione here is a little unbalanced as well. While you present her as a very rational character, you are also saying that she is blaming Harry (very nearly an unrelated individual) for her own pursuit of answers... that is completely illogical.

Canon's Hermione is an avid reader with a great memory who routinely reads ahead of her year. I can personally attest to the fact that those two traits (reading ahead and better than average retention) can allow anyone to stay miles ahead of their peers in an academic setting, I did with fairly poor study habits (I just graduated summa cum laude with a BA in business with very little studying needed throughout the entire course of study).

Despite what it might sound like, I do really like the story concept and the story so far has been good, it's just that you seem to pick what you change subjectively. When Harry started Hogwarts it was a new start for him and he wanted to do well (until meeting Ron when suddenly his reading, etc. went out the window), but Hermione was a crutch for both Ron and Harry throughout their Hogwarts years. Without Hermione present to help with homework, it would be necessary for Harry to study more as he would not have her to lean on when he waited too long to start an assignment. While you have changed Hermione quite a bit from the very first, your changes to Harry seem mostly to magnify his failings while minimizing his greatest capabilities (such as his courage and unfailing will to accept danger... HE went back for a teacher? In canon, Harry would have walked through the fire without the potions before leaving someone else to go forward).
1529 chapter 5 . 8/17/2011
You're probably getting tire of these chapter reviews so close together, but... I think that you nailed how Harry really should have acted in canon. In the Philosopher's Stone we see that Harry reads his books before going to school (Hedwig's name came out of his 'interesting' History of Magic book), so he is at least partially interested in learning, but Rowling seems to have immediately hit him with a stupid curse as soon as he gets to King's Cross. I suspect that the reason was that Ron Weasley could not have been friends with someone who liked to read (as proven by seven years of Ron and Hermione disagreeing).

I am still truly enjoying this story.